It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer is Stabbed as 68 Occupy Protesters Arrested in NYC on New Year's

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I think someone swallowed the Kool-Aid.

Not everything you read about the Occupy movement is true. Some is, I guess, but remember that there is a concerted effort to tarnish them by some very wealthy bankers.

Don't believe everything you read, and know that one person acting stupidly does not discredit millions of people.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

And yet pretty much every OWS supporter in this thread is saying that cops, regardless of their actual character, deserve to be stabbed. Maybe the OWS portestors should take their own advice. Just because there are bad cops out there doesn't mean they represent the whole.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I think someone swallowed the Kool-Aid.

Well then my friend. My advice to you is, put down the Kool-Aid and stop drinking it

Your comprehension of the points I have tried to make is not very up to par.

Not everything you read about the Occupy movement is true. Some is, I guess, but remember that there is a concerted effort to tarnish them by some very wealthy bankers. Don't believe everything you read, and know that one person acting stupidly does not discredit millions of people.

I never said that, in fact, I implied the exact opposite. It bothers me when people post before reading the damn thread.

What flavor you drinking bro?
edit on 1-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sequence
Did anyone witness the alleged attack on the officer? I think before we shoot the oppressors or mace the protesters, we should determine if this isn't just a case of running with scissors.

I was going to add this as well.

If it was the other way around, wherein a cop busted someones head open, many would be saying they need more information and if the one deserved it.

Likewise, was the cop being violent, harassing and beating protestors?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

And yet pretty much every OWS supporter in this thread is saying that cops, regardless of their actual character, deserve to be stabbed. Maybe the OWS portestors should take their own advice. Just because there are bad cops out there doesn't mean they represent the whole.

Funny, I support OWS, obviously, and I have always advocated peaceful protest. Violent protest doesn't win you the support of the public, is easy to spin, and should always be a last resort.

So, we have more generalizations, the OWS crowd are bad and promote "stabbing of cops", while the poor police are the innocent victims just doing their job (of macing and clubbing).

Funny how whenever there's a protest there are cops filming it, and they never catch a colleague brutalizing a protester. Then there are all the protesters filming what the police are doing, and the NYPD (and others) try to censor Google and have the Youtube videos taken down.

I'll believe this happened when I see the inevitable Police video of it happening. Until then, it's just more propaganda.
Even when I see it happening, I'll think back to all the peaceful protests that have been turned nasty by over-zealous cops, and I'll put it down to one infiltrator, or one lone crazy. I won't automatically brand all of the protesters as violent thugs who should be prevented from expressing their opinions because you don't agree or their noise is a little inconvenient.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Notice how I said almost every OWS supporter. If you actually took the time to read this thread you would see that almost every post is ridiculing the man who got stabbed. Of course the OWS crowd hates it when generalizations are made against them, but they are more than willing to generalize about those people that are against them. If you want people to stop making blanket statements regarding OWS maybe OWS should stop generalizing all police officers as brutish thugs.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If a large majority of Occupy organizers and members (what little are left) haven't condemned this or any acts of violence, then things like this will only lead to further radicalizing the movement, and to harden the resolve of authorities and enforcement against it... But, really isn't that what the true anonymous faces behind this movement have wanted all along?

An organic uprising, violence and martyrs!

And ultimately, for what end?

edit on 1-1-2012 by Fractured.Facade because: oops

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

dang, guess we'll have to suspend that guy from the occupy movement without pay and make some half assed public apology... or just pretend it didn't happen..

get it?

-TF

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ThoughtForms

Took me a while, but I get it.

I think

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I don't even care anymore. You can say what you want about the protestors, but the police have shown themselves to be neanderthals. I guess it's going to come down to deciding whether you want to be ruled and told what to do and how to think, or if you want to live in a world of chaos. All of it seems rather hopeless to me.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This is really amazing, A person that is trying to keep peace is stabbed and no one cares?
yet if someone is protesting and stabbed everyone cares?

They are Police officers for a reason, They are told to keep the peace and this is what they are doing.
Protesting can only go so far before someone takes it all to a next level, If you want something done you dont need to throw things around. Come on we are apart of the most intelligent species of the planet yet we make ourselfs look like idiots.

I for one dont care if they are arrested for doing this. Even if I am in another Country I have no sympathy for them, I even dont have sympathy for the ones in my Country (Australia). They want to act like a bunch of uncivilizated animals trying to disrupt the peace then they can be treated like animals.

Other than that, I hope that Police guy is ok

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

your opinions are informed by your own personal experiences... (I hope...) but you need to understand that just because your opinion is different it does not discredit the experiences of the other people.

I wish we all lived in your world but speak to enough people about things that they experience first-hand and you may find your perspectives on 'who is bad and who is good' are broadened and evolved.

Peace,
-TF

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Past Experiences aren't a reason to go up in a full rage. Make better of the situation rather than try to draw blood, which has happend in this situation. leave the country if you dont like it, I would welcome you with open arms if you wanted to come to Australia theres nothing really stopping you if I'm right. Another idea is try a attempt at a Secession.

( I'm fairly sure that the constituion says that you can leave if you really dont want to be apart of the United States )

[Ps, I hope I havn't offended anyone in anyway. ]
edit on 2-1-2012 by Indenu because: (no reason given
edit on 2-1-2012 by Indenu because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I do not think that we will see any change until these protests become violent. Peaceful protests are going to solve nothing.

There are good cops out there. The good ones are really, really good. The vast majority are simply the enemy of every citizen that is not upper class and white.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

you assume I don't already live in Australia. also you assume that somehow police corruption is location specific?

Australia has there fair share of terrible people who are law enforcers, just like everywhere else.

Peace, and thanks for the foe add, I actually found that pretty cool

-TF

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So much to reply to in one little thread. I guess first, I should say that violence is never the answer and it's never okay from anyone on any side of an issue.

That said, I'm a little disappointed CE. This is the only line. From your source.

One individual was arrested after an officer was stabbed in the hand with scissors. The policeman was taken to Bellevue Hospital and believed to be in a stable condition.

There's no statement on how it happened, it could have been an accident or could even be the officers fault for charging into the crowd. The guilty person could have been trying to hang a banner or something, we don't know.

I'm not blindly defending any and all protesters here, some are idiots and if it was done in violence the person should be charged accordingly. Those protesters that are idiots I'm happy to see being separated by arrest and jail from the movement.

I'm a little disappointed too to see fellow ATS Occupy supporters saying it was good this happened. Violence and advocating violence won't get us anywhere.

As for the rest of the responses, goodness, just grow up already. You laughing at us laughing at you, they did it so we can do it, I can condemn a whole group of people but you can't or see you did it too blah blah blah.....................................................seriously?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

That said, I'm a little disappointed CE. This is the only line. From your source.

One individual was arrested after an officer was stabbed in the hand with scissors. The policeman was taken to Bellevue Hospital and believed to be in a stable condition.

reply to post by Kali74

Please tell me why you are disappointed. There are many other lines in the post, the thread isn't only about the officer being stabbed, the title reads "Officer is Stabbed as 68 Occupy Protesters Arrested in NYC on New Year's".

There were also other aspects of the story, but the officer getting stabbed was one of the main points. I'm sorry that it was not suitable to your liking, I will write the editors of the story and let them know of your disappointment.

I agree with the rest of your post though. Too many people from both sides have been looking at this all wrong, in my opinion at least.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I don't like the idea of anyone getting hurt; police or protesters. There's no report of how the 68 arrested were treated so I cannot comment on that part. The part of the above quote that bothers me the most is the "and believed to be in a stable condition."
That is spin. Again, I don't condone violence of any kind. However, I'm a bit lost how being stabbed in the hand could possibly put someone into any other condition but 'stable.' He might be shaken up, and I'm sure he'll need an anti-tetanus shot, and it probably hurts like hell, but it isn't life threatening. I'm not being callous here, just pointing out how the story gets its spin.

I've jabbed myself pretty badly at times by being careless during DIY (stupid, I know). If I were talking to my friends about such an injury and finished with "but I'm in a stable condition!" they'd laugh at me.
Two sides to every story!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I'm not disappointed in the news source's one line. I'm disappointed that we don't know what happened but it's automatically "protester stabs cop, OWS turns violent". I think it's far more likely this was an accident. This group intended to take the park back for NYE, they made signs and banners (might need scissors for that)...cops show up and the pushing shoving starts. Seems more plausible than a person intending to harm someone carrying around a pair a scissors as the weapon of choice. And if it wasn't an accident it was still one person that did it, I don't think there was a GA discussing and passing an action to stab cops with scissors.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Stabbed in the hand by a scissor sounds like rather a little accident to me. What a drama, boy oh boy.

As someone mentioned before. They use:
sound cannons,
rubber bullets,
tear gas,
flash bangs,
tasers,
pepper-spray
and batons (what an arsenal!)
whilst wearing full combat military gear. Let us have our scissor alright!

edit on 2-1-2012 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join