It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer is Stabbed as 68 Occupy Protesters Arrested in NYC on New Year's

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings on this one.

Police officer stabbed in the hand with scissors amid scuffles in Manhattan

The Occupy Wall Street movement made a surprise invasion of Zuccotti Park last night while the police focused on New Year's Eve celebrations elsewhere in New York.

Around 800 demonstators piled up metal barricades, hoisting American flags and banners while scuffles broke out between activists and police.

Shortly before midnight, 100 NYPD officers had surrounded the park in downtown Manhattan with reports of pepper spray being used.

I'm no fan of society and the people that run things, and I want change. But these idiots are not helping that cause that many of us stand for. I hate hearing about things like this. Normally I condemn the media for demonizing the protesters, but it seems they're spot on with this incident.

One individual was arrested after an officer was stabbed in the hand with scissors. The policeman was taken to Bellevue Hospital and believed to be in a stable condition.

Zuccotti Park hasn't been occupied since police cleared it on November 15 in an early morning raid. The movement escalated at 8pm last night, when around 100 protesters entered the park and erected a small tent.

These drunken fools make the 99% look retarded. I hope this is not a growing trend, my guess was that they might regroup over the winter and come back with a fresh start in the spring time. I hope these people aren't associated with the other groups who are trying to organize things. Guilty by association can be very unfair at times.

The New York Times reported: 'By about 10.30 pm, there were more than 300 people inside... One man carried a big white placard that read - New Years Revolution.'

Shortly before midnight, OWS protesters announced on Twitter that they had reclaimed the park and unfurled a huge hand-painted banner reading 'OCCUPY WALL STREET'.

They tweeted: 'Barricades being torn down at liberty [Zuccotti] park...Happy new years!!'

As the new year was welcomed around the city, demonstrators chanted: 'Whose year? Our year.'

On Occupy Wall Street's official website it stated: '2011 was an amazing awakening. Let's start 2012 off right! Come celebrate with thousands of other members of the 99%, at our park and in the streets, as we make our special New Years Revolution together.'

Police in riot gear entered the park at 1.30am where 150 people remained and arrested five demonstrators. Authorities closed the park until 9am this morning.

Activists had been camped out in Zuccotti Park since September 17 to protest against the unjust distribution of wealth in the U.S. and the excessive influence of big business on government.

The movement spread to other U.S. cities including Los Angeles and Portland as well as Australia, Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain, Ireland and Portugal.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the protest to be cleared in November because health and safety conditions had become 'intolerable' in the crowded plaza.

One million revellers filled Times Square to welcome in the new year last night amid tight security. More than 1,500 members of the NYPD were patrolling the massive 17-block party to ensure everyone’s safety. They also used more than 3,000 cameras and numerous check-points with bag inspections. Alcohol was banned from the event.

What a stupid way to spend New Years Eve. For once I feel bad for the cops on this one. It might make me hesitate to be so quick to judge them next time something happens. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Jack Boot Nazi Thugs, and there are a lot of them, but not all cops are like this.

I hope the idiot who stabbed the cop gets worthy discipline.

edit on 1-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
oh boohoo one cop got hurt

MOD NOTE:

One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on January 1st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Lol stabbed in the hand, " believed to be in stable condition". Sounds cereal. But seriously until this geta bloody it wont change. Sadly thats the truth. We dont have the tech available for us to overthrow them without bloodshed. Unless the tools stop showing up to work to protect these corrupt people we will have to use violence. Not saying i believe its right, just likely.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The way the cops have been acting at these Occupy events towards unarmed and peaceful folks, I'd say that this is just a SLAP ON THE WRIST for what awaits the cops as far as KARMA in their futures.

Karma...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
occupy must have been infiltrated, and i don't mean for this incident necessarily alone, perhaps a nationwide program. or at least forced to conform into a group of drunks and homeless with true activists embedded but drowned out by the violent tendancies of the latter, invited, or coaxed, subliminally persuaded to join the movement but hinder it's progress by unleashing their primal distractions which the media and police then eat up and make $$$.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I agree with your message OP for sure, but I'm not feeling a whole lot of sympathy for the cop that got a boo-boo after there's been so much violence and injuries to innocent peacefull protestors. at some point the maniscus layer will be broken and the people will fight back.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So much for peaceful protest

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on January 1st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
oh boohoo one cop got hurt

I see your point, but I'm not a fan of anyone getting stabbed.

Have you ever been stabbed?

I have, it's not pretty, even if it's just in the hand.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
****ATTENTION****

ATS takes pride in quality of posts. Please do not post one line posts that really add nothing to the discussion and lack in contribution.

They will be actioned.

One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wait, there was some violence in NYC on Jan 1st?
Well this OWS has gotten way out of hand. I am so sick and tired of them doing...

wait a moment. Wasn't there a bunch of other stuff happening in NYC that night? It seems like it was a really hectic place for some reason. Well I am sure it was all OWS. Why else would people be out, doing bad things in the middle of winter in downtown ny?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Nor do I just like how the media makes a big deal out of ONE incident where a cop gets hurt meanwhile the cops are macin faces and going tazey crazy. I've been slashed twice but not stabbed but the pain did not compare to the time I was burned by a psychotic crackhead.
edit on 1-1-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: im a hobbit i ramble on

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Getting pepper sprayed
Flash banged
Tear gassed
Sound cannoned
and shot with rubber bullets isn't fun either.

Stab in the hand? Its only going to get worse, the more the people are screwed, the angrier they are going to get. *shrug* Eventually someones going to snap, maybe then everyone will clue in and think "Oh, maybe i should help stop the world getting screwed"

Till then, boo hoo on your hand
Get your skull fractured by a tear gas cannister, see which one you prefer.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think a lot of you may have misinterpreted the point I was trying to get across. Please, first let me clarify a few things. I am a fierce opponent of police brutality. You find me a cop that has been proven to physically abuse a civilian then yes, he deserves discipline.

Some people are associating this officer with all the NYPD. Sure the NYPD isn't your poster boy for good police enforcement, but we are all individuals including the cop who got stabbed. The crooked cops who beat protesters deserved to be disciplined, I will let you make your own mind up on what you think proper discipline is. Do you personally know this cop who got injured? Do you believe he should get stabbed for the actions of other officers?

Personally, I don't believe two wrongs make a right, so we need to be careful how we act.

Do we want to sink as low as the protectors of the elite scum who have brought us to the point where we have OWS?

We need to act carefully. I personally think one day there will be a real armed revolution, but this isn't how it should be, in my opinion of course.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

The hypocrisy among OWS supporters is appalling. When it was found out that there were OWS members that were raping other members, stealing, defecating on doorsteps, etc. the immediate response is that these people do not represent the majority. On the other hand as soon as even one cop used excessive force there were plenty of OWS supporters calling for open season on all cops. It makes me absolutely sick the number of people in this thread that are reveling in the pain of another human being, especially when they know absolutely nothing about him other than that he is a police officer.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You're correct.

It's frightening that so many people would find a stabbing so trivial.

Like you said the "since he's a cop, he deserved it" excuse doesn't cut it.

If it was a protestor who got stabbed by a cop, we would be hearing all about it.

I'm a supporter of any cause that wants to change things for the better, but some of the OWS contingent haven't been doing a good job of supporting their cause.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I think this event is only the beginning...I think in this year of 2012...we are going to see more of this...and some serious civil unrest and rioting.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I have had that feeling for years to the point where I almost ignore it, but recently, this feeling in the air of unrest and war is just adding to the pressures of every day life which is difficult enough as it is.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Happy new years copper! Lol

Im not feeling much sympathy for a cop having a" boo boo" now on his hand.

Im not a big fan of people getting stabbed or anything but, some people are just pissed the way some" coppers" acted with the protesters.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld
Happy new years copper! Lol

Im not feeling much sympathy for a cop having a" boo boo" now on his hand.

Im not a big fan of people getting stabbed or anything but, some people are just pissed the way some" coppers" acted with the protesters.

I'm curious if you personally know this "copper" and if so what had he done to deserve this? I'm disgusted of all the police brutality that we put up with every day, and it's not just happening at OWS. But finding happiness in this person's misfortune would be the same as a racist person being happy that someone of the race he dislikes getting stabbed.

You don't like cops?

So I guess if a cop gets stabbed he deserves it?

Please be aware I wasn't calling you a racist, I was only trying to find a comparable situation to help make my point.

Just because I disagree with you, please don't take any offense from my post.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

an officer was stabbed in the hand with scissors. The policeman was taken to Bellevue Hospital and believed to be in a stable condition.

Ffs, how is a cop having his hand hurt worthy of demonizing the protesters with? They're allowed to shoot people and let them bleed to death on the sidewalk while preventing medical treatment. And there's also that cop that shot the handcuffed guy to death while he was laying on his stomach on the ground.
A hand injury is nothing.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join