It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Protest "Offensive" Costumes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

You know what is funny about this? The pictures chosen really aren't "offensive" costumes...or at least not the ones that people are talking about. What they truly mean are the kids that you see sometimes dressed in Blackface. Frankly they should have put one of those pictures up so that people would get an idea but the group didn't want to make it seem like only black people are being offended...but its true. The Arab costume and the geisha costume is not anything that Middle Easterners or Asians find offending. Also you know I wonder what the Asian girl would have to say about the B-Lifers in Japan? Is that offensive as well? Or the people who dress as Ancient Egyptians?

Yeah this is just silly pc trash that does not really help anything seriously. Why don't you try attacking a less frivolous issue like i don't know...internet racism?
edit on 26-10-2011 by iamusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The Interwebz is Racist?

Sweet Zombie Jesus, I knew the AIs were gonna get us.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I can't decide which one to wear.

Definitely the orange/purple combo. It brings out your eyes.

As a cat lover who went to a Halloween event as a cat who got hit by a car, I think people who are being offended by costumes are taking life just a leeeetle bit too seriously. They need to chill out a great amount.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I stand corrected.

And possibly disturbed.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
The article mentioned that wearing a Sombrero would be offensive to Mexicans...

How could that be offensive?

Dressing as a Geisha girl offensive?
Are there Geisha girls or not?
If so, how is it offensive?

The items mentioned seem to be parts of the culture that members are ashamed of.
Except for the Sombrero--that one really puzzles me.

I agree about the sombrero. That is traditional Mariachi and even Luis Miguel uses full costume in his concerts. In fact I think it's really cool, and Disney uses Mariachi in their Mexican pavilian.

edit on 26-10-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What we have is a culture too. And taking it out of context is not okay.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Where's the Guy Falkes mask? Maybe ANon would be offended

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Cute. I almost wish I wasn't married.

I like the tire tread mark. I wonder if PETA is offended?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Religious AND sexy.

I am offended that nuns don't really look like that!

Looking like that, they can go after me with a ruler any day.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

So I'm ready for Madonna to sue because my cone boobs made of party hats are better than hers

If I'm offensive to hookers , feminists or whoever else for playing innocent fun I'd say America needs to take the stick out of the *ahem* . *sigh* People are really making the world a miserable place with their humorlessness and false moral superiority.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
How can a costume = a race?

It can't.

Just because your skin color is ____, doesn't mean you "OWN" a costume.

I can wear it anytime I want to. Don't like it? Bring your Uzi.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Another "gimme a freakin' break". These kids all have too much time on their hands. Guess what? I'm half Ploish and blond. Guess what? The jokes don't odlffend me. Guess what? I have been known to tell Polish and blond jokes (but I don't know any about Polish blonds). I don't give a rats but because A: They are not directed at me personally and B: If you can't laugh at yourself you are too freaking serious.

Not many people dress for Halloween with intent of offending people. Heck, my name is Mary and on more than one occasion I dressed as the Virgin Mary, which in itself is a joke as I have kids, but I never did it to be offensive to the Muslims that attended my Catholic university (joke regarding another thread).

People need to get over themselves and cut the PC crap. They are too many groups of people with too much time on their hands.

To the kids that started this: your education is more important than coming up with stuff to cry about. Get the education, get a job and a hobby, and live life instead of complaining about it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

As a redhead and descendent of many drunken Irishmen, I strongly object.

Thats not a redhead... thats a ginger...

this is a redhead

And I have some experience since my gf is a redhead... not a ginger

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
How are these costumes even offensive?

Especially the Geisha..
edit on 10/27/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
It's encouraging racial sterotypes.

Not every Arab is a maniac with a bomb strapped to him (as in that first picture) nor is every Japanese woman a geisha.

You Americans are so self-centred and narrow minded.

I expected nothing less.

I think you said it yourself, right here. Not every "Arab" is a maniac with a bomb. That's right. So why would all people of middle eastern descent take offense to it. Why would they choose to identify with it?. The person wearing the costume isn't saying that it represents all of them. If I see someone wearing a red neck trucker outfit, I don't get offended by it because I don't identify with it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Lysergic

So some forms of racism are acceptable?

If I blacked my face up and started doing a caricature of a black man, no doubt that would be considered very offensive and in bad taste.

No, it would not be acceptable. However, a couple of black guys can put on white make-up, dress up like women, and do caricatures of white women. Then film it and release it as a movie called "White Chicks". I see your point.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Give me a freaking brake, just a few words for them, This is American get used to it, or you can always go back to where you came from or your parents.

One of the most idiotic statements...

Your right it is America...so they have the right to freedom of speech...don't like it...then go back to where your ancestors came from...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Why not go to a country where whites are the minority and see if you get offended when they dress up as "fat white murricans". It won't be as funny there.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Well, thats it, I give up trying to understand this PC crap. So a helloween costume of a stereotypical terrorist or a geisha are now not OK?

Id say that unless you are an actual terrorist or a geisha, then there is no reason to be offended.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Ok is is me or is PC crap getting out of hand? It's Halloween costumes for goodness sakes! Dont they have more important things to worry about? I think we need a reality check here

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join