It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass brawl at theme park after Muslim women are banned from going on rides unless they remove their

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Mass brawl at theme park after Muslim women are banned from going on rides unless they remove their head scarves

www.dailymail.co.uk

A theme park was forced to shut its gates to visitors when a mass brawl broke out after Muslim women were banned from rides unless they removed their headscarves.

Two park rangers were injured and 15 people, including three women, were arrested in the scuffle at Rye Playland in New York yesterday. They have since been charged with disorderly conduct and assault.

Muslim visitors involved in the fight accused police of brutality and claimed they were treated 'like animals'. One said: 'It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim
(visit the link for the full news article)

+49 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Belligerent and entitled enough to endanger others on religious grounds? Empirically, yes.

Stupid enough to get smacked in the head(scarf) by a moving roller coaster? Empirically, we can't say yes.

Self-interest explains why the first is a yes while the second is probably a no.

It bothers me tremendously that more than one person speaking for the Muslim park guests immediately ran to "This happened because we are Muslim." No, it happened because they wanted to break safety rules which they were informed of in advance, and then got belligerent about it on the scene.

(Taking the article's accuracy on nothing more than faith here. And we know how dicey faith-based "knowledge" can be...)

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Highergrounds

what if one of them got ripped out of the car by the head and killed someone in the back?

bodies flying everywhere at 60mph, nice.

not for your safety but mine.

deport them or ban for life.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yeah I know I'd feel a lot safer if I could see the face of someone riding in the cart in front of me on the Flume.

I'd also feel safer with some kind of implant in my arm, perhaps with a GPS locator and all my records and bank account information, just in case I'm in an emergency.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
isn't riding roller coasters against islam anyway?

being at the theme park has to be a violation, at least!

when was the last time you saw nuns on one?

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This reminds me of an incident we had in our local area not so long ago at our local go kart track
where a young muslim woman was asked to remove her head scarf before racing and she refused to the point where she deliberately drove off on officials only to be killed on the first turn because it was caught in the engine i believe if i could find the article i would link it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
What next, photographer's rioting because they can't film on the ride?

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Yeah I know I'd feel a lot safer if I could see the face of someone riding in the cart in front of me on the Flume.

Doesn't have much to do with "seeing the face" ... it's risk assessment. Just ask this mom's family, for example: Mom Strangled - ATS thread

ETA:
reply to post by PhantomSnake

My first thought too...

edit on 1-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: chg link

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

the victim and whatever card.

i do that here and all it gets me is thrown in a cell with a car battery and jumpers in the hands of someone that don't speak english.

+26 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
"Loose articles and personal possessions such as electronic devices, keys, hats, glasses, backpacks, purses and stuffed animals should be left at home, kept in a locker or left with a non-rider while at the Park or on rides. Lockers are provided for a fee, and some rides provide shared bins. All items and clothing must be appropriately secured while on a ride; some smaller items can be stored/secured in cargo pockets or waist pouches. Hats must be secured, and jackets/sweaters must be worn properly and not around the waist while on a ride. Some rides do not allow backpacks, purses or head gear of any kind."

www.ryeplayland.org...

End of story..

Some parks allow hats, sunglasses, and other loose articles, this one obviously doesn't. Get over it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Doesn't have much to do with "seeing the face" ... it's risk assessment.

Just ask this mom's family, for example: Mom strangled

Fair enough. How about - Ride At Your Own Risk, sign this form relieving us of all liability, and enjoy the ride maam. What's the policy in other countries' amusement parks?
edit on 1-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

You think that would work in the US? One of the most litigious countries about?

Not a chance.

Risk assessment and safety policies Must be in affect to cover their company.

P.s. in addition to the "ride at your own risk" policy... of course.
edit on 1-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It's one thing if you have a hat on with a plastic brim, that could potentially be whipped off by the wind and seriously hurt somebody. But a scarf? Give me a break. Where else but New York State amirite.

+24 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
"Muslim visitors involved in the fight accused police of brutality and claimed they were treated 'like animals'. One said: 'It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim.."

Um,no. It happened because they wouldn't comply with ride requirements by removing potentially dangerous flapping head dresses,and were unable to control their anger,sucking way too many people into their drama yadda yadda.

Glad I wasn't there.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Except for that headscarves really don't flap around like a hat would. I don't know. Part of me agrees with not letting them ride with the headdress, the other part of me wants there to be some sort of exception as long as they properly tuck the head scarf so that it won't fly off... but then again, maybe it still would, and the theme park could get sued. Bah. I dislike the idea of someone saying you can't do something because of something you do that is a big part of your religion, but I understand that this is a life-death situation so certain exceptions must be made, so, I am just annoying myself because I am both for and against both sides of the issue haha.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I wish they would make a rule about Indian Seeks wearing their headdress on a plane flight obscuring the screen for about 5 rows.

But yeah, this is hopeless. They always create problems like this. You'd think there was something wrong with the people. It seems like religion enables people to ignore their responsibilities as citizens.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The obvious answer to this problem is to have everyone wear a burka ,also useful for protecting others from flying vomit and muffling those annoying high pitched screaming girls
edit on 1-9-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I cant stand people who use religion as an excuse to feel they should have some special treatment sent their way.

In Australia a few years ago a public beach was blocked off by a bunch of muslim men who wouldnt let anyone through so their wives and children could swim without us infidels seeing them.

I live in a moderate muslim country and here common sense normally prevails amongst the general population, women can wear a tight fitting thing like a headscarf for times when it would get in the way and when they swim its in their religiously appropriate attire (in other words not very sexy and not the type of thing your gonna wanna perv at).

I have many muslim friends and they would never pull any crap like this.
There is no excuse for the behavior described in the OP, they should be thrown in jail and made an example of.

P.s Happy Hari Raya to all the Muslim members of ATS

P.p.s For those who are unaware Hari Raya is like the muslim equivalent of Xmas, everyone gets together with their Fam and eats tons of Awesome food after the fasting month of Ramadan.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

so by your logic, I, as a patron also riding the ride, should have to be put at risk for her sake? makes sense

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join