It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police "mistook" handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered,

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MustangDesigns

The cited article fails to identify what the exact handicap was... If it was Tourette's for example, I can kind of understand the behavior a bit. The presumption that the officer was aware of the handicap also seems to have no basis or support in the article.

If he was aware, and did these actions, that's one thing, but if not, and the handicap is such that it would come off as disrespect (and then fleeing police)...his actions are understandable, if not excusable.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It says in the article that the officer prviously knew the boy and was well aware of his handicap, perhaps the cop made a pass at the boy and when the boy fled, the cop panicked and beat the hell out of him to stop him from telling anyone about it. If an apple has some rot in it, you cut it out to stop the rot fro spreading, saying that is not being a Nazi, it is stating what I believe, If I were in charge, a rotten cop, would be an ex cop.

Even at 17 he was considered a minor, his mental capacity was defective, it would be something more than tourettes, and even if a tourette sufferer burst into a full on swearing episode, they should not be betaen up and Tasered for it. Police are supposed to have at least some common sense, and where this is lacking, well training should cover the rest. The officer Electrocuted and beat up a minor and had his mate join in with the beating, then called another 20 of his mates in to kidnap him, that is sick and they should be put away for it, full stop. I wonder how much money that all cost and then what the court case will cost on top of that, all because of one mans over inflated ego and sense of power over others.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Qwenn because: extra

edit on 1-7-2011 by Qwenn because: spelling

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
On another note. I think they should remove all tasers from duty. I had a friend of a friend killed on duty while attempting to use his taser earlier this year. I think tasers muddy the waters and make situations difficult to evaluate. Either a situation calls for force, or it does not call for force, there is no in between.

The tasers are just as dangerous for the cops as they are for the civilians. The one I am talking about was in central Florida, and it was a routine traffic stop that escalated to violence, and after tasering the driver, the driver pulled a gun and killed the cop. There was a report about 2 years ago where I guy killed 2 cops and injured several more after he had been tazed twice, and was still able to pull his weapon and shoot two cops dead and then escape in his truck only to be killed by police in a shootout later on.

So, here is my recap of my opinions in this thread so far, so that it doesn't look like I am waffling on the issue:

1. If anyone, cop or not, harms my child in a way that is uncalled for, they will have to deal with me.
2. I won't use a taser, I will be much more direct and decisive. I don't believe in them, and I think they are being misused on civilians and putting cops lives in more danger than before.
3. I do not think the majority of cops are bad. I don't even think a significant number of cops are bad. I think the number of bad cops is probably equivalent to the number of bad accountants, bad brother-in-laws, bad fraternity brothers, and bad co-workers. There are bad apples in every group.
I agree with some of your post here.
I believe that the Taser doesn't belong on an officers belt. It is too easy for them to pull it and use it when its use isn't called for. If they pull that pistol, they know what the outcome most likely will be. Death or serious bodily harm. That's not the case with the taser. they can use it without seriously injuring someone most of the time. So they may tend to use it with much less thought.
edit on 1-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That is a police officer that should never see the light of day, talk about criminal behavior. I'm usually not for recommending execution of officers, but mildy suggest that maybe the world would be a better place if his kind were not allowed free access to roam or live in it.
edit on 1-7-2011 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
How would a person, any person, be able to sleep at night knowing they just tasered, pepper sprayed, then asped a mentally handicapped kid!
That's horrid.
I'm pretty sure even the guys in prison would beat your ass if they found out you did that to a kid, right up there with the molesters.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is so horrible I have no words. I hope their atty gets an enormous settlement for Jesse and the cops involved get tossed. Is it my imagination or are the cops more out of control than ever?????

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well, I guess I hadn't realized, disrespect was a tasering offense. The police in this country, are totally out of control. I predicted this would happen when tasers became commonly available to Law Enforcement. I KNEW it would be heavily abused. The local cops and I have argued about it many times. I get the same excuses, "Well, it's not going to hurt you".....oh yeah? How many people have died from being tasered? I've survived one heart attack. I'm not sure being tasered would be approved by my cardiologist. How can they know in the heat of a situation, who is potentially susceptable to dying from having this done? They don't. When you see this being done to people with physical handicaps, and the elderly, and you know dang well they are not a physical threat, it turns your stomach. Whether they admit it or not, cops like using them. They like the brutality they can get away with.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hopefully the jack boots will get canned, imprisoned and the mother and son get filthy rich off the police departments settlement.
There's no excuse for what they did at all. That's completely pathetic.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Just another typical police hating thread, cant you people find something better to do than hate the people who are protecting you.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Only in America ? Here they would be expelled from the force and sentence to jail time so they would think twice or trice before using desnecessary force.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Apleness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pryde87

I think thats the problem. Some police are using less than desirable methods to "protect". Followed by them getting away with it. If they want to appear as these good & friendly "protectors", they need to stop pulling these sorts of stunts. Personally I see more arrogance & brutality from Police than them helping people these days.

Even if these guys do get fired, they'll just end up working for some rag-tag security firm beating up kids at concerts.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'll pray everyday for this p.o.s to go in prison, I know one thing... you DON'T want to go in prison with neither "woman beater" "child raper/beater" reputation... otherwise you might want to take the easy way out and jump off a bridge... but now going in for having beaten a handicapped kid WHILE your a cop...HAH!... ewwww office your about to become the queen of the ball trust me...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pryde87
Just another typical police hating thread, cant you people find something better to do than hate the people who are protecting you.

Police do not protect people. Maybe, once in a blue moon, they'll be at the scene of a crime in progress and "save" you, but that is about as rare as a 3 legged ballerina. You think that if right now, someone was to kick down your door and try to kill you, the cops would magically appear and protect you? No, they wouldn't.

Cops are glorified fund raisers, ticketing and arresting people in an effort to raise money for the state.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Is the ASP mentioned on here that "pop out" night stick that cops use now? The spring loaded jobber that can knock someone out if you pop it open against their head???

I know the pop out thing has replaced the old metal core tonfa style night stick right? I'm just curious. I don't keep abreast of the latest pain inflicting tools used by the "peace forces".

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I have an autistic son and while he does not have a speech impediment, he is difficult to understand at times.

I can say that if this situation were to unfold with my son at my house, first the officers in question would have to deal with our two 100 pound each German Shepherds who both absolutely LOVE this particular child of ours; we have 3 sons and 2 daughters. They follow him around and are more often than not in the same room he is in, much more so than our other children. They just seem to have taken it upon themselves to be his guardians.

It's funny how people react when see our dogs. They're both beautiful, but quite large which is what I suppose makes them intimidating. I always tell people that the dogs are harmless as long as you are but if my dog doesn't like you then neither do I.

The next thing they would have to contend with would be the most extreme prejudice I and my wife could bring to bear upon them. Then they would likely have all of my other children on them because they all feel very protective of their sibling. Other than my wife, my entire family practices martial arts, including weapons training. And she's got her daddy's gun.

For the record, I believe that SFA437 is most assuredly one of the good guys and would count myself lucky and feel protected indeed if he were a member of my city's police force.

Not all cops are bad, but the ones who are really tarnish more of the good ones than any other profession.
edit on 2-7-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: grammar police

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patrick2089

Police have a very hard and challenging, dangerous job. That said they also should never take their jobs personally or abuse their power! Some cops should never be given such power in the first place.

BALONEY! (about being dangerous) There are MANY jobs which are harder and more dangerous:

Fishermen.
Loggers.
Farmers.
Structural Construction Workers.
Garbage Men.
Pilots.
Roofers.
Coal Miners.
Linemen.

All MORE dangerous jobs than police officer. Where is THEIR respect and admiration??

That said, I wouldn't want the job, either. Respect from me is earned, I don't care who you are.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Again as with most police brutality threads there seems to be more to the story. How did the cop know the child before the incident? Could it be that this kid is a menace. Why were they stopping him? Maybe he was a suspect in a crime. When the cops have been convicted of something or a cash judgement is awarded then I will trust this "official story".

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Redacted!!!
edit on 2-7-2011 by Butterbone because: I'm done trying to care about this subject.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by choppedbrisket
Again as with most police brutality threads there seems to be more to the story.

Ah, with every police brutality thread, there is always one person yelling about "more to the story". You ever think that maybe the police officers in question are just sadistic bastards? Maybe they had a fight with the wife this morning, and took it out on some poor mentally handicapped kid?

How did the cop know the child before the incident? Could it be that this kid is a menace.

"Could be this kid is a menace". SERIOUSLY? Being a menace is justification to be harassed, chased into your home, tased, beaten, pepper sprayed, and arrested for a whole list of "crimes" (some of them even quite serious felonies)?

Why were they stopping him? Maybe he was a suspect in a crime.

Or, even more likely, the cop was just bored. I grew up around bored cops, and know what it feels like to be harassed and followed by bored cops for simply walking down the street.

edit on 7/2/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What pisses me off is that the cop knew the teen had a speech disability but STILL insisted on interpreting it as disrespect????

Are you kidding??

Thank goodness he didn't pull over Raydio pushing his shopping cart.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join