It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We’re Not From The Milky Way Galaxy! We’re Sagittarians, Say Scientists! What Of Earth's Future

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Should we be worried? For some reason I must say no. 2 billion years is a long time to hand wring. Apparently, we went from crawling on all fours to going to the moon in less than 200 thousand years. I think we will be long gone in 2 billion years.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
It occurred to me that a lot of these doomsday threads are created by people who are afraid to die. Think about it for a second. Death and destruction is our future no matter what. No one lives forever.

Me personally, I'd rather die during an historic event than die in bed from cancer.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

Oh wait! So this guy contends that the scientists from the University of Massachusetts, University of Virginia, and scores of others who have peer reviewed the study after detailed observations and computer simulations are all talking through their hats?

Oh never mind! Take it or leave it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensquad414
reply to post by OrionHunterX

This is such an interesting thread. I wonder if the upcoming galactic alignment in 2012 has any relation to the Saggittarians galaxy

So, the question is, are we going to cross that galactic plane in 2012?

Not even close. According to the journal Nature, as well as many others, there is evidence that we have already crossed this plane 3 million years ago. This would mean that we are moving away from the galactic plane and won’t be due to cross it for another 30 million years!

But what we could be crossing right now is probably the cosmic dust of the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy that's apparently creating some strange effects in our Solar System.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beast Of Gevaudan
I wish people would use the search function so we could avoid seeing multiple threads on the same story.

Hmmm...Like the gazillion threads on 9/11!!
Why the devil don't ppl use the search function before posting new threads on 9/11? Jeeeez!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

And you think "raining down" means like raindrops...

No! I'm gonna tell you again. Raining down in a galactic scale doesn't mean within a few years. It means within million of years.

Humans from every era have thought only in the frame of their own existance...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

December 4th b*tches. I've been Sagittarius long before 'chall thugs..

Oh and my on topic note.
This will affect us maybe, if it's accurate, sometime a long time from now.. so, not worried.
edit on 16-4-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The university of virgina does not support this theory:

IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THIS WEBPAGE BECAUSE YOU HAVE HEARD FALLACIOUS NEWS REPORTS ABOUT THE SUN BEING FROM THE SAGITTARIUS DWARF GALAXY:

DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE WEB!

IF YOU ARE A JOURNALIST, PLEASE FOLLOW TRADITIONAL JOURNALISTIC STANDARDS AND DO PROPER SOURCE AND FACT CHECKING! (IF OTHER SUPPOSEDLY RELIABLE NEWS AGENCIES HAD SUBSCRIBED TO THESE BASIC PRINCIPLES, YOU PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE WASTING TIME RIGHT NOW CHASING DOWN THIS ILLEGITIMATE NEWS STORY!)

THE WEBSITE www.badastronomy.com... DOES A REASONABLE JOB OF ADDRESSING THE MISINFORMATION BEING CIRCULATED.

This web page contains the original press release text from 2003(!) that has been corrupted/misinterpreted to "support" the incorrect conclusion that the Sun did not originate in the Milky Way galaxy. Read carefully and you will see this press release only details the characteristics of the Sagittarius galaxy and nothing more. All astrophysical evidence points confidently and indisputably to the fact the Sun is now and has always been a part of the Milky Way.

www.astro.virginia.edu...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlteredTom
I've known about this for years. I Believe The Shift will happen this next 1 1/2 - 2 YRs when the Milky Way gets it's final hold on us.

Everything in our Solar System will increase in energy, vibration, freq., etc.
edit on 15-4-2011 by AlteredTom because: (no reason given)

That all sounds nice and 'new age' and that, but have you thought about what usually happens to an object that increases in energy, vibration, frequency, etc.?

HEAT is the usual result..water boils because it's atoms are caused to vibrate at a faster frequency due to applied extra energy...not a good scenario for humanity or for life in general here on Earth.

How much heat depends on the amount of extra applied energy.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX

Originally posted by Greensquad414

This is such an interesting thread. I wonder if the upcoming galactic alignment in 2012 has any relation to the Saggittarians galaxy

So, the question is, are we going to cross that galactic plane in 2012?

Not even close. According to the journal Nature, as well as many others, there is evidence that we have already crossed this plane 3 million years ago. This would mean that we are moving away from the galactic plane and won’t be due to cross it for another 30 million years!

But what we could be crossing right now is probably the cosmic dust of the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy that's apparently creating some strange effects in our Solar System.

*I think you may have misunderstood the process (*or i have) of 'crossing the Galactic plane'.

Imagine a series of end to end connected letter 'M's', so it's a continuous up and down squiggly line, a bit like a scope shot of voltage.

The Solar system orbits around the Milky way centre, (which takes many millions of years to complete one orbit), but as we orbit the centre, we also oscillate in an up and down motion, following our 'squiggly' path.

Each up and down motion takes about 25,000 years to traverse, and half of an 'up and down' path, takes us *across* the Galactic plane. Each 12,500 years our system crosses the Galactic plane, either moving 'up' along the curve, or downwards along the curve.

The last time we crosses the plane, (10,500 BC) is about the time the last ice age ended, along with many theories regarding advanced Earth civilisations from the period, being wiped out in a cataclysm. The flood epics are thought to originate from this epoch, which ties in with the Ice age ending.

The theory is that as we cross the plane, the alignment with MW centre and all other bodies that are along the plane, and the combined gravitational affects, influence our system and conditions here on Earth (as well as the rest of our system too).

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Great thread and effort. But you seem to project a doomsday scenario as the supposed raining down or even passing thru galactic dust and on galactic scale, will harm us catastrophically.
I find little chance of that happening even if you take the increased solar flare activity or warming up of solar system as a whole. Have the scientists specifically predicted any catastrophe hrtr on earth?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
On this level, It doesn't make difference to us if we are from Milky Way or not... Great post OP

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DarylHamblett

Exactly..

Hey guys.. we are somewhere in the universe. Great find.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Ah, the point I was going to make.

Some good information in this thread from the OP -- but the conclusions? No, I don't think there is any trend showing the Sun warming in an appreciable way. Mars has had the poles melt before -- it's on a different ORBIT after all from earth. The sun has actually been a bit cooler for about a decade now. Global Warming is pretty much solid science by now.

The changes on the magnetic fields of two planets; Uranus and Neptune -- that is news, maybe. However, I thought that Neptune was known for having an almost perpendicular rotation to the plane of its orbit -- it's likely these magnetic fields are quite volatile over time anyway. If I were more curious, I'd "google" about the history of these planet's magnetic fields. But, off the top of my head I'd guess that the massive amounts of super-cooled liquified gases on the large Jovian planets, means that -- rather than a "mostly stable" iron core, like on earth, they've got very massive magnetic fields but they are nearly generated by "tidal weather." For instance, with the Sun, the poles shift about every 10 to 15 years -- do we even NOTICE something this massive changing poles? The answer is; no. It probably has a bit to do with sunspot cycles -- which DO have an effect on solar output. That relates to the solar cooling ... very low sunspot activity has made it a few degrees cooler, but sunspots and temperature are picking up this year.

Other than the earth being overdue for a magnetic pole shift -- I'd say that these phenomena you are talking about in this solar system are benign events; they happen all the time.

It's more like about 500 million years before we start colliding with another Galaxy -- and it's LIKELY we will never hit anything, since the amount of space between stars is vast. There MIGHT be some increase in output of stars -- but I'd say, that increases in Gravity, by the addition of the mass of Andromeda in the same area, are offset by the relativistic effects, meaning; MORE gravity, means time slows down -- so the greater heat output (which is a rate), may stay RELATIVELY the same as far as we are concerned. So, maybe a 1% increase in output, and time slows down about 1% (this is according to ME -- haven't read that theory elsewhere). Not to say that there won't be a LOT more asteroids and spectacular super novas in 500 million years (i'd think that stars that are within a few million years of super nova, get "triggered" to blow -- so it's probably a massive increase followed by a period of time of much fewer super nova events).

In fact, a clock on the coast will run about a second slower every thousand years than one on a mountain -- due to the effect of gravity.

>> But the ONE thing I think is very interesting -- is that there MIGHT be some evidence for the solar system being a captive from the Dwarf Sagittarius galaxy. It would also explain the Moon -- which has also been a puzzle for a long time. And SOMETHING knocked Uranus on it's ass -- slight pun intended. All of which could be explained by early solar system collisions and the "destroyed planet" between Mars and Jupiter -- but it's also something which could be explained by a captured solar system.

>> Check out some "butterfly galaxies" -- most often, galaxies pass each other and strip off stars -- that's what theoretically causes the "spiral" galaxies (pretty common, actually) -- but a butterfly galaxy, is two that are passing "dead center" or not passing each other but combining. MOST of the stars are still intact after these collisions, even when they might have perpendicular galactic orbits.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Originally posted by AlteredTom
I've known about this for years. I Believe The Shift will happen this next 1 1/2 - 2 YRs when the Milky Way gets it's final hold on us.

Everything in our Solar System will increase in energy, vibration, freq., etc.
edit on 15-4-2011 by AlteredTom because: (no reason given)

That all sounds nice and 'new age' and that, but have you thought about what usually happens to an object that increases in energy, vibration, frequency, etc.?

HEAT is the usual result..water boils because it's atoms are caused to vibrate at a faster frequency due to applied extra energy...not a good scenario for humanity or for life in general here on Earth.

How much heat depends on the amount of extra applied energy.

>> I'm of the opinion that passing the Galactic plane is NOT a big event. It's the same issue I have with "planetary alignments." They don't cause little disturbance. The force of gravity -- and also of light energy, is the square of the distance; meaning objects FAR away, have little influence on you directly. The MORE massive objects, like a star (our sun), are orbiting the galaxy -- but you and I, are influenced MORE by the earth -- we don't fly off the planet to move with the galaxy or a close pass of the moon, because the EARTH is so close.

A car passing by you, has more "gravity" influence on you directly than the planet Jupiter.

Also, the force of gravity, is kind of like an "average pressure." That's why planetary alignments don't have much effect -- because all the planets are still busy orbiting the sun -- the force they exert on the sun is relatively even. There will be subtle distortion on orbits when planets move near them, however, which is how some large planets were detected in the first place, and the Hubble telescope, detected massive planets around distance stars with the "wobble" of their stars.

The thing is, when the earth lines up with the milky way -- the "square of the distance" between it and any nearby star that MIGHT add some heat energy, is going to be "relatively" the same. Sure, we SEE a lot more light when we look a the galaxy edge-on, but move a few light years above that, and draw a line from the earth to any of the neighboring solar systems -- and the average distance won't have changed much -- and NEITHER will the radiant energy. You've merely changed the angle from which gravity and light are coming from. Since they are relatively quite distant, a few more light years (applied to the "square of distance" rule), is likely something below a hundredth of a percent.

Otherwise, there would be an apparent "cycle" on the earth every 25,000 years that would have shown up in the fossil and geologic records.

>> I don't think you will "notice" any increase in energy. It's not like you get to "moment" when you cross the plane of the galaxy and something triggers -- we've been ON OUR WAY to crossing the plane of the galaxy for 12,500 years now, and then we will be moving "above" the plane for another 12,500 years before we head back.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

You might want to read my post a couple of posts up...i say more or less what you do.

Although, being a layman, i do instinctively feel that everything is a very delicate 'balancing act', and while you are correct regarding planetary alignments not unduly influencing life on Earth, and MW stars being relatively distant, we're talking about a compounded, cumulative affect.

It's not about the nearest star system being near enough to directly have an affect, it's about the total amount of stars and systems *arranged in a linear path* along the plane of the Galaxy, all contributing their seemingly negligible gravity which would have a cumulative effect. We actually traverse this area twice in one 'cycle'.

12,500 in each half cycle.

12,500 years ago (10,500 BC approx) is when the last ice age ended.

It's also when the Sphinx in Egypt lines up directly with the constellation of Leo (as per Graham Hancock).

The general theory is that during the last galactic plane transit 12,500 years ago, the Earth suffered as a result of the cumulative gravitational effects of both the stars and systems, but also from the massive black hole that is theorised to reside at the center of the Galaxy. The key phrase here is 'cumulative effects' i suppose.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Thank you for your thread S&F from me. I love the presentation and the theory

I have to say that the numbers being bandied about by the posters have amused me to no end in reading this thread. 2 million, 10 million, 3 billion, 30 billion, 300 billion squillion years hahahaha

Since it seems some need reminding i feel must remind you.. these are all merley theories based on calculations we have made mathematically from what we have been able to observe, so please dont hang your hat on that which you know not of.. In the blink of an eye a planet could appear beside ours for all we know and sink us into the corner pocket not unlike a billiard ball.

Peace to all

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LosLobos
It occurred to me that a lot of these doomsday threads are created by people who are afraid to die. Think about it for a second. Death and destruction is our future no matter what. No one lives forever.

Me personally, I'd rather die during an historic event than die in bed from cancer.

Yeah, i hear that, but wouldn't you rather live to 90 years old, then die during an historic event?

Think of all the kids that haven't had a chance to live yet?

My wife and i don't want to die and i personally would like to live for thousands of years, but they way we see it is at least we have lived a little. We've loved, travelled, experienced..our young kids have not.

It's them i fear for mostly. I couldn't bear having to watch them suffer and die...nothing could be more terrifying to us, even our own deaths.

Nah, i get what you're saying mate, but i'd rather my kids died quietly in their beds from extreme old age thanks.

edit on 16/4/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Might be confusing a couple of points, it's actually Uranus with the near perpendicular axial tilt, Uranus's north pole faces the sun half of its year as its south pole gets sunlight the other half of its 84 earth year orbit. Neptune's large moon Triton has a retrograde spin, it's the only large moon that spins opposite all other large moons. Because of this the scientific community believes Triton is a captured body from the Oort cloud because a moon that formed around a planet would not have a retrograde rotation. What caused Uranus's severe tilt is believed to be from a large body collision, which is also often sited for the strange rotation of Venus. Venus appears to be spinning backwards, opposite all of the other planets sans Uranus. It's proposed Venus's axis was shifted from a collision, it's axial tilt is nearly upside down, or 77.3º. Whether Venus is rotating backwards or it's north pole is south and it rotates the same as other planets to some is a matter of perception rather than observed thermodynamics. If the consensus is that Venus is tilted 77.3º and Uranus is tilted 97.8º must be determined by the applications of observed thermodynamics. The interesting aspects of these two peculiar planets is that Venus's rotation is so slow that 2 of it's years is only 3 of its days, while Uranus is rotating extremely fast for a body it's size in less than 14 earth hours. No wonder these two planets present the most extreme weather in our solar system. Uranus is colder than the more distant Neptune and temperatures on Venus can exceed those on Mercury, largely due to their axial tilts and extreme rotations compared to the other solar system's planets.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Highlander! "There can be only one".

Interesting point about outliving everyone else. True the knowledge and monetary wealth one could accumulate in thousands of years of life, conversely though to repeatably watching your love ones age and die became too much to subject oneself to over and over to the point of avoiding love. But ultimately I believe Highlander decided it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join