It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Torture Investigator Denied Access to Bradley Manning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

UN Torture Investigator Denied Access to Bradley Manning

www.theepochtimes.com

In a statement issued by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Méndez said he is “deeply disappointed and frustrated” that the U.S. government has denied him access to Manning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A UN torture investigator could not access Army Private Bradley Manning as he was denied by the U.S. government. Manning has been reportedly locked up for 23 hours a day in solitary confinement and been subjected to other hardships. Special Rapporteur Juan Mendez said he is "extremely disappointed" that the U.S. won't let him talk to Manning without supervision.

www.theepochtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kuai137

This is a military man (as so I know he waives certain rights as a matter of National Defense) but still a US citizen and he should at least receive a trial and the basic rights afforded any other US citizen. Other wise what does the US stand for? Are we as bad as other tyrannical regimes? He should be able to speak to an attorney and treated as innocent until proven guilty. At the very least he should be seen by neutral 3rd parties to assure his family of his fair and humane treatment.
edit on 11-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thats because the USA doesnt answer to the UN concerning its own prisoners, military or otherwise

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Manning is a treasonous little scumbag and should never see the light of day again. Screw the UN.

+58 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Compass99

Does "Innocent unless proven guilty" ring a bell?

We're here to deny ignorance, not display ignorance.

+22 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Compass99
Manning is a treasonous little scumbag and should never see the light of day again. Screw the UN.

I guess Jessie Ventura and everyone else that thinks the government shouldn't be allowed to run rampant without ANY oversight are treasonous scumbags too?

Sure....why should we listen to the UN......unless they are telling us to bomb or invade countries with oil in them

+60 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

You are a lost individual! Exposing corruption within our country isnt treason, its patriotism of the highest order. He's given more than you ever will!
edit on 4/11/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kuai137

This is not a UN issue, this is a US military issue, the UN will do best by keeping their nose inside of their NY safe house.
We shoot blue helmets in mah neck o the woods.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Manning is not a traitor, he is a Patriot, but he will be tried for crimes against the US no doubt.
I hope the info that he turned over will be worth his life.

reply to post by notsofunnyguy

This rule only applies to civilians not military, sorry.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by kuai137

This is not a UN issue, this is a US military issue, the UN will do best by keeping their nose inside of their NY safe house.
We shoot blue helmets in mah neck o the woods.

Do ya? When was the last time you guys did that down there? O right, never.

But threatening UN troops on an internet message board is cool. You are a true American hero.

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
anybody who calls him a traitor is a completely ignorant shill...the information he sent didn't cost any lives at all...our government is out of control at this point if you ask me...they can pretty much do anything they want and just give the finger to anybody who doesn't like it...I think it's time somebody broke that finger...its sickening that they would treat a citizen and a soldier this way...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I'm probably wrong about this (sorry in advance if so) but I thought that when you enlisted you basically lost your civil rights. Like how you'll follow the orders of the Pres. and/or superior officer (even if they are against US law) and the military (while you're enlisted) can basically do what they want because you gave up your rights when enlisting. Like how if you do something not against the law (don't pay bills, cheat on your spouse, fight or something with a superior officer...again just guessing) that they can throw you in the brig without trial or whatnot for however long they choose. So if he lost his civil rights he doesn't get the right to a lawyer or jury of peers.

Again I'm probably wrong on that so please correct me if so.
edit on 11-4-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: typo

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Manning is not a traitor, he is a Patriot, but he will be tried for crimes against the US no doubt.
I hope the info that he turned over will be worth his life.

The information is probably not worth his life, but showing people it's possible and that one person can make some kind of difference if they are willing to sacrifice everything is priceless in a way.

Some say freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose, and the truth is that more and more Americans are finding that they have very little to nothing left to lose.

The government no doubt will want to make a harsh example out of Manning to deter others from daring to do the same, but taking the last full measure of devotion from a man in these circumstances might very well backfire on the government and anger others to rise up and do the same.

Interesting times we live in.

The sad truth is if everyone of us was as willing to stand up for what is right like Manning did we wouldn't be in the boat we are today.

I hope what ever price Manning has to pay will not be in vein.

Best of luck to you Mr. Manning.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
doesnt matter WHAT the intel was, he distributed something he wasnt AUTHORIZED to do so, so now he's paying the price

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

It's people like you that are treasonous, when you let the government do your thinking for you your no better than the Germans who sat by and watched Hitler, or the Russians that sat by and watched Stalin. The government is suppose to serve us. We don't serve the government.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

One man's traitor is another man's founding father - I wonder how many countries ther are now where the founding fathers were not traitors to someone else?

There's a few I can think of - mainly colonial ones such as Australia, Canada, Sth Africa, states of the fUSSR.

But the biggies (& many minnows) all seem to be founded by someone's traitors - all of Sth America, USA, UK, fUSSR and many in Russia still think of Gorby as a traitor, Com China, Taiwan, Japan, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, at least most of Africa, etc.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
i wonder what China has to say about this...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Not true. It does, under most circumstances, apply to military as well.

"Jury of your peers" however, is not an option. The jury are officers (and up to 3 enlisted, if you are enlisted and ask for it) of senior rank.

And the prosecution and defense both report to the same guy in DC.

So, you're still "innocent unless proven guilty" but the system is rigged so as to ensure the proof.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Pathetic. The American government has become so two-face. Before the government was criticizing Iraq's policy of impeding UN investigations, now the US is doing the same. The double standards are becoming disgusting.
edit on 11-4-2011 by SparklingNugs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join