It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Easter doesn't even have anything to do with Christianity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the story, isn't Easter the day Jesus arose from the dead? How is that not related to Christianity? I'm sure I'm missing something here... right? Maybe it's originally something pagan, too, but today, it's a Christian holiday with Christian roots and meanings. Just like Christmas.

Originally posted by beezzer
I say if the folks in that area want to have a "coloured sphere with candy but no peanuts because someone might be alergic" day, then let 'em.

Just as long as no-one stops MY family from going to church that day, we're cool.

Wow, Beezer, I gotta give you credit. Sometimes your posts are refreshingly open-minded and rational. I agree with you completely. Freedom is a two-way street.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
So some "16 year old" named Jessica calls up a political talk show and claims a public school (which shall remain nameless) decided, in full-blown marxist/progressive/PC and several other derogatory lefty terms, to rename Easter Eggs as "Spring Spheres", and the right-wing idiocracy is off to the races in another round of bashing those horrible lefties.

Hmmm... You may be right. It's the right time of year.

So, they've started bringing in their "Don't take away my Easter with Spring Spheres" mantra and added it to their yearly "Don't take away my Christmas with Happy Holidays" mantra... Oh, Lord! How many religious holidays are there?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by bsbray11
Easter doesn't even have anything to do with Christianity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the story, isn't Easter the day Jesus arose from the dead?

I dunno, sure sounds right to me.

Eas·ternoun /ˈēstər/
Easters, plural

1.The most important and oldest festival of the Christian Church, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ and held (in the Western Church) between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox

2.The period in which this occurs, esp. the weekend from Good Friday to Easter Monday
source
Clearly I am missing the same thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by opal13
They are Easter eggs...always have been always will be in my book.

This is not neccessarily true.

Christians stole the idea from Pagans.

The next full moon (a time of increased births) is called the Ostara and is sacred to Eostre the Saxon Lunar Goddess of fertility (from whence we get the word estrogen, whose two symbols were the egg and the rabbit.

The Christian religion adopted these emblems for Easter which is celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox. The theme of the conception of the Goddess was adapted as the Feast of the Annunciation, occurring on the alternative fixed calendar date of March 25 Old Lady Day, the earlier date of the equinox. Lady Day may also refer to other goddesses (such as Venus and Aphrodite), many of whom have festivals celebrated at this time.

www.wicca.com...

So, to claim that Christians hold the monopoly on Ostara eggs is false.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Easter bybthe way is pagan.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

www.mynorthwest.com

"She said that I could it as long as I called this treat 'spring spheres.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

mmm...mmm...MMMM! Had no idea I was going to get irony this sweet and delicious for breakfast today, I'm going to go fry me some eggs to go with it!

These are the so-called EDUCATORS of our children today, people, be afraid. Be VERY afraid. They deserve no less than to be LAUGHED out of town, under a hail of....oh yes....nothing other than eggs!
edit on 10-4-2011 by tjack because: I wanted to add that laughed out of town part

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Remember back in the day when people enjoyed holidays whether they were religious or not because they were fun?

I remember plenty of my friends whose parents didnt hold the same faith as a lot of people, but they enjoyed the holidays anyway because either they got a break from work, or it was an excuse to do something out of the norm with the family......

I knew plenty who hid eggs on easter because they enjoyed having fun with thier kids.............

This whole country is going to crap, when people would rather spend more time being offended then just enjoying a good time

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Remember back in the day when people enjoyed holidays whether they were religious or not because they were fun?

I believe they still do.

But many people are realizing that they don't really support the traditional religious celebration of these holidays and wish to celebrate them in their own CHOSEN way, or not celebrate them at all. That's OK. Diversity is good. I know, some would rather have all minds thinking along the same lines and celebrating in the same way and believing in the same God, and being true to the same political ideology, but that's just not the reality of our country today. This is freedom. Freedom to participate in a religion or not and freedom to celebrate a holiday or not.

Freedom - Jump on the bandwagon!
It's a blast!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You dont have to agree with the religious aspect of it to have fun with it..........

People still get christmas presents, you dont have to believe in the religious aspect........

Yes we do have the freedom to believe what we want to believe............but there is blatant hypocrisy in people changing the names of things because they "offend" them...........its not offensive.......its ridiculous........

"Yes we must change this because it offends me and infringes on my rights"

voice of reason:"so you want to change something because you say that it offends you and you have the right not to be offended........even tho changing it offends other people"

"they can deal with it"

and that people is the plague spreading the world..... "I want what i want and i dont care what it does to others"

edit on 10-4-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
reply to post by dolphinfan

While 'spring spheres' sounds a bit silly to me, Easter is undeniably a religious holiday. Why do I have the feeling if the kids were forced to celebrate a Jewish or Muslim holiday, you'd also call that "political correctness"?

By the way, is it political correctness to object to someone calling your mother a nasty name to her face? If not, explain why not.

God (see what I did there?) forbid children or anyone for that matter has any culture anymore. Pagan, christian, judaism, polish, african, italian...do you want any of these different types of people to just stop following their traditions because someone else doesn't practice it? It's like someone smacked you knowing someone who doesn't know about these traditions MAY come in contact IN SOME SLIGHT WAY to the practices of something foreign. Easter eggs is NOT religious in the sense you speak, it's pagan. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging different groups' holidays/holy days/etc.

I bet you think Christmas was manufactured to lull children into wanting to join christianity. I may be mainly catholic (with my own beliefs), but it wouldn't kill me to participate in Ramadhan, in fact, it's showing respect to someone who believes in that religion.
edit on 10-4-2011 by vulgarism because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RicoVig

Well the easter egg and bunny are pagan enough still to not offend me. School Boards and the like probably just need a few more times around the may pole to get over themselves

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

but there is blatant hypocrisy in people changing the names of things because they "offend" them...........its not offensive.......its ridiculous........

Why is there something wrong with someone changing what THEY call something because they don't prefer the other name? If someone is offended by the phrase "Easter Egg", why can't they call it a Ovum of Love f they want to? Does that offend you? See... Offense is subjective. One person may be offended at something that another person finds perfectly fine. As long as they don't force others to change what they do, why should it bother you? You're not offended are you?

voice of reason:"so you want to change something because you say that it offends you and you have the right not to be offended........even tho changing it offends other people"

"they can deal with it"

and that people is the plague spreading the world..... "I want what i want and i dont care what it does to others"

Wait, who is being hypocritical here?

You agree that there is no right not to be offended, yet when people call Easter Eggs "Spring Spheres", you're offended, and you want them to change what they're doing so YOU don't have to be offended? Is it true that it's OK if someone else is offended but NOT OK if you are?

How about this? YOU call them whatever you want. They call them whatever they want. And no one has to give up a thing. Everybody's happy, right?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ok so you heathens don’t want to celebrate Catholic or should I say Christian holidays…then don’t. Tell your boss you will work on Christmas. You can take an alternate day off. If you’re a humanist take your birthday off. If you’re an atheist take off Madalyn Murray O'Hair’s birthday, or yours. If you’re a witch take of Tituba’s birthday off. But why try to take away the Christian holidays? That isn’t right. Don’t give me that bull # about “Oh it’s a pagan holiday that they took”. It’s a Christian holiday get over it! Let the Christians have their day. If you don’t like it don’t take it. If the school doesn’t like it they could just ignore it.
Hey I almost forgot college Easter break is coming up. Oh, I’m sorry I mean spring break. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Wait, who is being hypocritical here? You agree that there is no right not to be offended, yet when people call Easter Eggs "Spring Spheres", you're offended, and you want them to change what they're doing so YOU don't have to be offended? Is it true that it's OK if someone else is offended but NOT OK if you are? How about this? YOU call them whatever you want. They call them whatever they want. And no one has to give up a thing. Everybody's happy, right?

I cant believe that whole post went totally over your head..............thats EXACTLY what im talking about.......

And in an ideal world if we could call them what we want and they could call them what they want, and everyone would be happy, that would be great........

But thats not the case...........instead they insist on changing the names of everything to satisfy their own narcissism

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
ever wonder what the kids think of this?? even the non-religious ones.. and we wonder why they turn into teenagers that think adults are nuts!!!
they've been called easter eggs for as long as I can remember, regardless of weather you family was devout christians or heathens!! try to go home tonight and explain to your child why the easter eggs shouldn't be called an easter egg without having to throw in a bunch of religious, or antireligious bull into it that I am sure the kid (heck, most of us adults), actually care about...
they've been easter eggs for over the half of century that I have lived.....they are gonna be called easter eggs for much of the next regardless of what anyone says, since well, it's habit, and habits are hard to break, and if even if we do begin to call them by another name, our mind will be interpreting that name back to easter egg!!

in a country that is as screwed up as ours is in so many ways....
with so many things to find to be offended about, well, I'm afraid the kids are right, the adults are nuts!!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by D1Useek

Who is trying to take anything away from anyone else in this story? I am apparently missing the part where they are trying to ban people from calling colored eggs anything they want. Even as reported, it is just a school deciding how to do its own thing. They are not following anyone home nor protesting anything. My saying "happy holidays" does not take away anyones christmas. Do your kids go to this school ? Have they been instruced not to say easter eggs at home, church, or anywhere outside of school? Are many of you over-reacting to a story you have yet to confirm?

I think the people that cry about losing their holidays when SOMEONE ELSE refuses to celebrate are far worse that the politcally correct types that do push this kind of stuff. Go pray, call your eggs whatever you want, have fun at your church. When others decide not to get onboard, more for you. Get over what other people decide not to do and stop claiming it someone stops you from doing it.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

And in an ideal world if we could call them what we want and they could call them what they want, and everyone would be happy, that would be great........

But thats not the case...........instead they insist on changing the names of everything to satisfy their own narcissism

Your post didn't go over my head, it's just that you're not making any sense to me. In the first paragraph, you state, "we could call them what we want and they could call them what they want, and everyone would be happy, that would be great."

But then you turn around and chastise them for "calling them what they want"...

So, you can call them Easter eggs and others can call them Love Ovum and everyone is happy. But that's not the case, because they are calling them Love Ovum.

Very confusing.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I remember growing up with a lot of other children who did not celebrate easter and always wondering why because I hate jelly beans and I dont care for most candy and I really despise hard boiled eggs. So once you take out the religion and the candy and the eggs, what did I have? Well, I have memories of being envious of children who had different holidays and religions because they were different and sounded cool to me. Easter was useless. That's what I remember anyway.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

"Yes we must change this because it offends me and infringes on my rights"

No one is trying to change how you dothings. They are changing how they do things. You really take issue with how someone else does something in the name of freedom for all don't you?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I honestly don't see the issue. If it were my sons' school, we'd still call it Easter. They can call it "Blue-monkey-butt-cheese-sliced-with-oranges".

But it is still Easter. They have not taken MY rights away to practice my faith as I see fit. So let them enjoy Easter without the religious issues attached with it. Personally, it'd be like taking your sister to the prom.

Yeah, you're going, but meh, it just isn't the same.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join