It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Yes, being told I am unfit or my parents were unfit because we smoke kind of put me on the defensive! As I said, my children have always been very healthy, loved, nurtured and provided for. I know I have been and am a great parent, despite the fact that I smoke! I am proud that I raised two great kids into reponsible caring adults... who would have thought a nasty smoker could have accomplished that... and to think my son was on the deans list in college...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
As expected, the addicts have come here to defend their addiction... I used to do the same... It is just pathetic to put your 'right' to pollute the air that others are breathing so that you can get your 'fix'... and if you don't think it's and addiction, you are just fooling yourself and are the good little monkey that the Cigarette Companies want you to be...

You had better be riding a bike to work everyday.

You had better be using magic space heaters.

You had better be riding a bike with Wooden wheels now that I think about it -- fashioned by hand.

You had better not be using a computer or internet which was put their by trucks and/or rockets which send satellites into space.

In fact, there is a mess load of other things you had better not be doing to pollute our planet, oh ye hypocrite.

Everyone is breathing in all your junk, too. Don't act high and mighty. Congrats and ending the smoking addiction. Here is a pat on the back. Really, I'm happy for you.

Now that your hands are free more often, weave or build or play music. But don't preach to everyone else what everyone already knows. Or, more accurately, don't worry about the stick in everyone else's eye until you pull the plank outta yours.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

if it is o.k. for people to eat junk and suffer health problems, as long as they are not stuffing the same junk down their kids throat's, then as long as i do not smoke around my children, i see no difference.

why the guilt trip on smokers? why call out smokers as bad parents when many do the same things with other items which can equally cause health problems and damage.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Because he is a reformed smoker, and as such is better than anyone who is not.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
being a good parent has got nothing to do with smoking .. drop this stupid argument ... !

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I chose lazer therapy to quit which worked quite well and I recommend it to any smoker who would like to quit.

when I did smoke

nothing made me roar like a CAR DRIVER TELLING ME TO QUIT SMOKING

Funny all my friends who's parents shared their booze and weed with them are considered to have been good parents....by those friends

Go figure
edit on 20-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

its people like you that make me sick "hypocrite" is what you are, who are smokers unfit parents?, what bout junkee's terrorists body builders business people, smoking in no way shape or form affects a child growing, my parents smoked 3 packs of 50 a day whilst I was growing up and there's nothing wrong with me nor my other siblings.

There are too many people out there wasting to much time doing other crap when they should be spending it with there children so dont get all up in my face bout smokers

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I am also the child of smokers but mine never smoked in the house they always went outside..I have Cystic Fibrosis i cant be around anything like that it would literally kill me..My husband is also a smoker he also never smokes in the house i feel its up to the person if they choose to smoke..But to have your children taken away from you for smoking NO way! I think they should either quit or go outside and smoke and i sure never became a drug addict because my parents smoked that's just silly..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
mocking smokers is as healthy as smoking. the op is killin his own thread by mocking.. fail!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I find the title of this thread somewhat offensive. My father has smoked my entire life. Not only has he so generously provided me with a high standard of living, but he has also raised me to have an excellent work ethic, be drug free and responsible for my own actions, and to actually use critical thinking in everyday situations. Plus, he has had enough mind to not do it in the house or in front of his children. I have only seen him smoke twice, the first being when I was 17. He is a great father and a great man. I hold more respect for him than anyone else on the planet. To say he's unfit to be a parent because he is a smoker is insulting, ignorant, and unfounded.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 20-2-2011 by sine.nomine because: typo

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I think what really upsets me the most about this thread is lumping all smokers together as unfit parents! There are unfit parents in all walks of life. Red, yellow, black and white, rich, poor...
The more I think about it, the madder I get. How many children have parents that abuse them in unspeakable ways... smokers or not! I wouldn't even let anyone babysit my kids! Their grandparents or me or their dad was it. My husband worked days and I worked nights so that one of us was always with them! Were we perfect parents... of course not, but we are damned good ones that just happen to smoke!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Im an ex-smoker.. I dont care what you do.
I know that I havent smoked in several years yet I still want a cigg. I enjoyed smoking. None of my family ever had any issues and most are smokers. I could have kept on smoking with relatively little consequences, but chose to stop. My middle daughter had a liver transplant when she was 10 and we were told that she was very much more at risk due to the immune suppressant drugs she is on concerning cigarette smoke. We quit. If it were a natural smoke like tobacco used to be, I doubt there would be a problem.

Ciggs are still legal, so kids cant be taken away from parents... but in Illinois they want to make it illegal to smoke in a vehicle if kids are in it. Realize it or not, your right to do what you want even when something is legal is being taken away here. The bill has been introduced, but hasnt passed legislation yet. I figure it will.

Add to that taxes and the price of tobacco.. its incredible what you can save a year by stopping.

TObacco is a lot different than it was when our grandparents or great grandparents smoked. There are things in it that really are harmful. You really cant compare the two IMO.... and the comparison between tobacco and marijuana is ridiculous. As soon as you say the word "smoke" it becomes a pot debate...

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Let's do some real-world comparisons, shall we?
  • 50 years ago:
    • Smoking was considered 'normal'. My school had a smoking area. Parents would send kids into the stores with money to get a pack of cigarettes.
    • There were no car seats, nor were there seat belt laws. I remember riding in the back window of our car so I could watch the people behind us.
    • There were no gun-free school zones.
    • Childproofing the house didn't exist. There were no outlet covers to keep us from sticking forks into the outlet. There were no little door-sized fences to make sure we didn't stray. The idea of putting a leash on a child was abominable. Cleaning supplies were stored in the bottom cabinet, and there were no locks on the doors.
    • People ate whatever they wanted to eat. I loved Happy Meals.
    • People only went to doctors when they had to. Translation: when St. Joseph's aspirin for children and Castor Oil didn't fix whatever was wrong.
    • Corporal punishment was accepted as necessary.
    • Every kid I knew had a pocketknife and a BB gun. A few had .22's.
    • There were no nursery monitors.

The result:
    • There was very little cancer.
    • Children were better behaved and actually showed respect for their elders.
    • There were no school shootings. violence was two kids threatening to fight each other, and usually one was scared and the other was glad of it.
    • There was no obesity problem.
    • There were fewer car accidents and related injuries.
    • There was less crime.

===================================
    Today:
    • Smokers are persecuted.
    • We have laws about putting kids in car seats.
    • All schools are declared gun-free zones.
    • Childproofing a home is considered a necessity, including locks on cabinet doors, those little fences, outlet covers, etc., etc., etc.
    • Happy Meals are being demonized, along with pretty much any flavorful foodstuff imaginable that is not prepared in a laboratory.
    • Doctors are used for every sniffle or sneeze. Children are typically referred to physicians to get prescriptions for personality-changing medications.
    • Corporal punishment is considered a social taboo, and is actually illegal in some areas.
    • Children are expelled from schools or even arrested and incarcerated for carrying a small pocketknife... God forbid they have a BB gun!
    • It is apparently impossible for an infant to survive if their room is not monitored.

The result:
    • Cancer rates are rising.
    • Children are out of control, to the point that schools spend more time trying to maintain order than they do teaching... America has fallen so far behind other developed nations that we are a laughing stock.
    • Students and Faculty in many schools are concerned for their lives from the next school shooting, in spite of many schools having metal detectors at every instance.
    • We have an obesity problem with our youth... so we are told, anyway.
    • Auto accidents are rising and they more often involve fatalities.
    • Crime is up, and the average age of criminals is down.

Here's an idea...

Your way failed! Hands off my smokes, and definitely hands off my kids!

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

I agree with you, because im 19 and have lived with my mother smoking for years. It's gotten to the point where I bi*** at her to not do it in the house. I mean, how hard is it to go outside? Although she does go outside somewhat, she still smokes in the house quite a bit. Her excuse, like last week, was "My parents smoked in the house the whole time I was growing up, and look were still here." My grandparents are pretty healthy, and my mom is 47. She's been smoking since she was younger than me.

If you don't like it then maybe it's time to leave home..
Then when you're paying the rent and bills YOU can say it's a non smoking house...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am a smoker and I go outside to smoke and don't allow my daughter to come out when I smoke do I smoke around her sometimes yes but I dare you to try to take her from me it will be the worst day of your life.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Ask the US Surgeon General why they mandate Cancer warnings on tobacco...

But the Federal EPA issued DOD a waiver for the TCE (Trichloroethylend) in the bottom of the Guam Aquifer. Scroll down to where it says "marbo annex" in the link below:

yosemite.epa.gov...

The TCE is from military degreasing operations prior to Hazardous Materials laws when they were dumping barrels of the crap right into the ground for decades...along with motor oil, radioactive waste, and other industrial waste.

How can cigarettes be bad enough to require a warning yet the Federal Government merely wrote themselves a waiver for destroying the water table for an entire island and is responsible for thousands of deaths/cancer/diabetes?

.....Americans.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Pervius because: spellin

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Now I feel like a dummy, Jaxon.

You are clearly trolling here. Enjoy your stars and flags.

You got me.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There is no debate over if smokers are unfit parents.

It's not our business technically.

Any "debate" is merely conjecture based upon an intrusion into others privacy and straddling the edges of trampling their liberties as human beings.

Any illusions of this "debate" existing, are just an imaginary bubble.
It's time to pop it.

We have no Authority to make these determinations about other people.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Let me clarify a few things. I do not think that parents who smoke should have their kids taken away, but I do think that they should have to be aware of all of the extra risk factors that they are exposing their children to. The thread title choice was to get your attention, and it worked like a charm. What is alarming is the number of people here who are disputing the studies mentioned in the OP not because of empirical data, but because it causes an emotional reaction within themselves.

I myself feel guilty because of the extra burdens I have put upon my daughter. I have either experienced or witnessed first hand almost everything mentioned by both of the articles in the OP. My health was DRASTICALLY effected as a child by the smoking habits of my parents. The simple fact is that people are doing nothing more than defending their addiction, instead of facing the effects that their addiction has on those around them, in this case their children... So go ahead and paint me the bad guy here... I can take it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join