It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Told by police that being outside at night is probable cause to pull me over and question/weapons ch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Just out of interest, how many posters on this thread support Arizona's Immigration law?

I don't support it and have been vocally against it since it started.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I wish you Americans/British people had something to compare to, because being outside your system and reading all this... its so insane.

Watch this:

They are making stuff up as they go. There is a overwhelming amount of evidence of them doing that. They will just say or do anything, and if you protest, you can sometimes even get arrested or beaten for it.

I made a thread called "Failure to Obey in America" which shows exactly this behavior and its actually very scary.

This is NOT NORMAL. I cant stress that enough.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Im guessing your like me . (Im 30 but look 17/18 in the day time)

I get stopped for "curfew" violations all the time. Mostly cause i look real young at night. And tend to ride a bike to save a bit of cash..

I never really took offense to it. Since i know i look young and i know young ppl do crazy crap at the hours im riding around. (Been there)

I guess its a double headed coin .

I say . If you look young and there obviously not out to harass you . Let it be.

As much as i don't like/ distrust the cops some times.
Making it harder to do there jobs just makes them more bitter in the long run .

My 2c from an old criminal .

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

I'm glad. Imagine what it would be like if you were arrested and detained every night while police verified your citizenship.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

It's ok. Big brother is just looking out for you.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
reply to post by boondock-saint

Can you explain, Boondock Saint? I was not committing any road violations whatsoever, was up to code as far as bicycles go and was riding home with bags of food at a reasonable speed in a well lit area on a sidewalk that was not the public road sidewalk, but instead, private property of the lake that I was riding by as I got pulled over (it is a separate sidewalk closer to the lake, and it was not past the lakes curfew).

Unless you are suggesting that I should actually believe my rights can be 'suspended' when I am pulled over, which I don't think you are.

It is the circumstances that aroused the suspicion of the police.
99% of people go buy groceries in their vehicle.
99% of people dont have grocery bags hanging out of their car.
Most people don't buy groceries in the middle of the night, check the food store parking lots and compare them between night and day and you'll see that. Lots more cars in the day time.

Don't you see what oddities caused these officers to
suspect you?

You are riding a bicycle after dark with bags hanging on it.
To a cop, he thinks it's stolen merchandise until he sees
inside of the bag. This is a common method
of operation for criminals, use a bike to get
to your target, stuff your stolen items in a
bag, and make your getaway in the dark.
That's what the officer is thinking most
likely.

Like I said, I would have stopped you to.

Maybe you need to change what time of day you go
get groceries or wear bright clothes to show them
you are not trying to hide anything.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
reply to post by sremmos

I'm glad. Imagine what it would be like if you were arrested and detained every night while police verified your citizenship.

Perfect sheeple.
Glad to see that the aliens got you in the mix, I assume you love inmigrants and so on. Its so funny to see how you try to imprint fear for a law that is already in your constitution...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
Maybe you need to change what time of day you go
get groceries or wear bright clothes to show them
you are not trying to hide anything.

I think you have failed to understand what a free society looks like, where people are free to do what they WANT without being suspected and harassed for being outside at night.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

Sounds almost like a unwritten marshal law / curfew is in effect.

Interesting.

IMO - We are no longer a free society. Welcome to the NWO Police state.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

sremmos!!! LOL...

I would HIGHLY suggest that you go and watch the Chris Rock video again, if you haven't already.

Thank you that was an incredibly instructive post, if it happens again that is the protocol I'll follow after informing the officer that audio is being recorded (legal requirement in California).

I don't know where you live (except Cali) but if you follow Jean's "incredibly instructive" post. You will not have a chance to get out your recorder...
well maybe in the ambulance on the way to your nearest hospital or lock-up!!!

You can record what the EMT's are reporting as your vital signs!!

Be nice and have a great and healthy day.

73's,
Tom (KC5ILU)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
you gotta try get that stuff on camera. make it as constructive as possible.

next time you get pulled over, try make them aware that it was american corporations, banks and the bush family that helped fuel hitlers war machine.

say to them, "don't you see history repeating itself, hitler had the reichstag fire that was started to give reason to fight the communist terrorists and pass the enabling act.

we've had 9/11 and 7/7 over in the uk and the patriot act and a never ending war on terror..

even the ex pm of italy has said 9/11 was carried out by cia and mossad. why7 do you think none of the official stories tie up with witness statements!!

all because we haven't stood up to the secret societies that JFK and other presidents warned us about!!

when our founding fathers wrote in the constitution that we gotta defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC.. who do you think they were talking about??.. the secret societies that jfk warned us about!!

look at society in general, hardly anyone thinks beyond fears, ego and insecurities, look at the world thats creating!!

look howe they've let the borders get out of control and all the drugs and imigration, its all aboujt divide and conquer.. even the mosque at ground zero!.. divide and conquer... its an old roman empire trick.

all thought and all action is creative energy, what sort of world do you want to create for your kids?"

or something alolng those lines. you've got 5 mins or so to plant seeds in their heads, make the most of that time. sure some wont bother at all but others you might be able to have a good chat, bit of a debate with, use it to plant seeds!!

i got pulled over in the uk a while back, for riding my bike on the pavement.lol. its actually ilegal in the uk. which is why i couldn't give it too much talk, but when i said, am i obliged to give you my name, 2 of them jumped out the van(egotistical muppets) and squared up to me, because i was in the wrong i had to give them my name, the check came back clear and i was told to be on my way, but before i left, i said sorry, there was reason for being a bit gobby, and i gave them a bit of a speech about what i wrote above, but the uk version, and that when the next al-ciada attack happens we've got to use our brains and stand up to the real terrorists!!! you should have seen the looks on their faces, you could almost see the brain muscle flexing with the strain. seeds planted, happy days.

be polite, use points that are easily backed up and dont give a rubber duck, you've got good and the Universe on your side, and they both want the truth known and the human race to progress forwards, as we should!!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
boondock, why didn't the officer state that then?

The officer stated that if s/he didn't pull people over randomly at night then more crime would occur, the officer later on stated that she stopped me because I was riding my bicycle on the sidewalk.

You are rationalizing the events of tonight in a way that is impossible for you to really do from where you are. I was not the only person on my bicycle, this was at a little after 10 pm, not 1 in the morning. Several others passed by us on foot, on bikes, and in cars. I don't live in the ghetto, I've ridden bikes my whole life and I've been here for ten years.

Getting some grocieries at the ralphs or the gas station is not a suspicious activity even at night. It's not abnormal to use a bicycle when you do not have a vehicle, not 99% of the population where I live drives. You are making several assumptions and even if they were all true, having grociery bags with very visible grocieries and being on a bike at night is not a suspicious activity.

Again, by your logic all activity is suspicious day and night. Criminals do everything that non criminals do, criminals commit crimes in all environments through all mediums and at any time of day or night.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

WHOS READY,
Please refer to my post directly above yours...

I don't think the police want a history lesson or an Alex Jones view of the world spiel!!

GEEEEZ, Just answer their questions and go home!! They want to go home to!! They have lives and family and I know they HATE paper work.
So get a life lil' alex and chill out.

73's,
Tom (KC5ILU)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

I don't know what I can do and I am afraid if I do anything then # will get worse for me because I'll become a target for the police. That said, I am willing to become a target to stand up for my right to not get randomly pulled over on a regular #ing basis for going to the gas station or grociery store for food

If you muck a pig around they get an inferiority complex & will decide to use you as the toy in the their guy of anal-probe someone with a very large spoon.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

bro u r asking me questions I cannot answer.
I cannot answer why the officer did this
or did that. All I can say is what I would
have done if I were the officer and why
I would have taken those actions.
best wishes

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

i was replying to the op.

i fail to see your logic, if everyone just went along with the system when its as corrupt and fascist as it is, what sort of world would that create??

please use a brain before gobbing off like a mug and comparing me to jones!

we're in an age of peaceful rebellion, bring it on!

[edit on 11:11 by WHOS READY]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Wrong, it's not illegal under the circumstances you provided.

The O.P. is not wrong under the circumstances he provided, and the thread you linked does nothing at all to prove your claim. The mayor in that thread is wrong, and if you take a clear look at the State of Louisiana's Constitution, you will know that mayor is wrong. The only thing that makes his assertions correct, is if people are driving with a drivers license in a vehicle registered with the DMV, which then means they waived their rights.

It is highly unlikely that the O.P. has registered his bicycle with the DMV, so there is no jurisdiction to pull the O.P. over unless the O.P. is violating some law. Under the circumstances the O.P. described, there was no violation of law by the O.P., thus no jurisdiction.

Further, the O.P. does not live in Louisiana, but lives in the State of California. Consider the Declaration of Rights, from that States Constitution:

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

SEC. 6. Slavery is prohibited. Involuntary servitude is prohibited except to punish crime.

SEC. 7. (a) A person may not be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law or denied equal protection of the laws;

SEC. 13. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable seizures and searches may not be violated; and a warrant may not issue except on probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons and things to be seized.

It is the circumstances that aroused the suspicion of the police. 99% of people go buy groceries in their vehicle. 99% of people dont have grocery bags hanging out of their car. Most people don't buy groceries in the middle of the night, check the food store parking lots and compare them between night and day and you'll see that. Lots more cars in the day time.

This is irrelevant. It does not matter when most people buy groceries, it is not a crime to buy groceries late at night. If it were, there would not be any store open for the O.P. to go buy groceries at. Simply being suspicious of someone is not enough to establish jurisdiction.

You are riding a bicycle after dark with bags hanging on it. To a cop, he thinks it's stolen merchandise until he sees inside of the bag. This is a common method of operation for criminals, use a bike to get to your target, stuff your stolen items in a bag, and make your getaway in the dark. That's what the officer is thinking most likely.

If this was actually the case, the police officer should say so, and all the O.P. would have to do in order to ease the police officers suspicion is show the receipt that he more than likely had.

Maybe you need to change what time of day you go get groceries or wear bright clothes to show them you are not trying to hide anything.

It surprises me that you would advise someone to change their legal behavior just to satisfy law enforcement. Under the circumstances the O.P. described, there was no jurisdiction.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I just love it when the police dont know the differene between a law and an act , and you point it out to them that not knowing the difference is negligence and in the US holds a sentence up to 14 years !

CORPUS DELECTI , use it as a weapon

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

yes it is legal for the police to stop him
on his bicycle since he was breaking CA
laws when the stop occurred. He should consider
himself lucky he did not get multiple citations.

CA State Law requires ALL bicycles to have a light
on it after dark.

Under the International Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (1968) of the
United Nations, a bicycle is a vehicle.

en.wikipedia.org...

A bicycle license is required by the California Vehicle Code §39002

California state law requires all bicyclists under the age of 18 to wear a bike
helmet while riding on all streets, bikeways, public paths, and trails (§21212
VC).

www.stanford.edu...

So yes, he was breaking the law which gave the officers
plenty of reasons to stop him. Did he have a bicycle license?
Did he have a bicycle light? Was he wearing a helmet if under 18??
The only way to know if he was 18 was to stop and ask !!!

You wanna debate symantecs ???

Let me re-itterate
I would have stopped him too.
And the officers had a right also.
Whether they wrote him a ticket
is irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
I have been pulled over three times in the past week by my local police department for riding my bicycle to the gas station after I finish work (usually after 10 pm).

Each time I am pulled over I express my concern for being randomly stopped, none of the officers have been rude in their responses but two of the three have told me straight up that "more crime happens at night" and tonight that "You mean you don't like being randomly stopped? Have you ever been the victim of a crime?"

Although some may act like it, they're not RoboCop. And, you might be a convienient "turnstyle", as some call it. Because, in those cruisers, most assume they're going on down the road. You're doing your part to fight crime by allowing them to look around and be heard giving a 'decent' point-of-view.

It's good they're gentile with you, and If you feel it's an obvious point made, I bet you don't mind being around Mr. Howitzer How are You. They pack artillery, you know.

Just watch out for the bad apple in the bunch. Because, it only takes one to break you forever.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join