It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Reply to post by berkeleygal

Well prepare yourself Glenn beck is running currently...they are not going to break into programming util they get more info. And let's not turn this into a fox bashing party...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
Don't want to be alarmist but RSOE EDIS is reporting that a Tsunami HAS BEEN detected.

So I don't know how far reaching it will be but check any local emergency broadcasts if you are on the coast in West Coast America.

link   
CNN is far better for this kind of thing anyway.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
British HAARP trying to get at Argentina?

I hope nobody died....

Stick tune for more details.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by TSawyer]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by David9176

Lol

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
People keep saying there aren't more quakes this year than ever and perhaps that's true. However, either there are more earthquakes or there is more coverage of earthquakes or there is more earthquakes occurring in populated areas. It seems the magnitude of earthquakes keeps up in the 7.0+ area.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
No tsunami for the West Coast:

wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov...

To: U.S. West Coast, Alaska, and British Columbia coastal regions From: NOAA/NWS/West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center Subject: Tsunami Information Statement #1 issued 02/26/2010 at 10:49PM PST

A strong earthquake has occurred, but a tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, or Alaska coast. NO tsunami warning, watch or advisory is in effect for these areas.

A tsunami may have been generated that could potentially impact the U.S. west coast, British Columbia, and Alaska. The West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center is investigating the event to determine the level of danger. More information will be issued as it becomes available.

At 10:34 PM Pacific Standard Time on February 26, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 8.5 occurred near the coast of central Chile . (Refer to the United States Geological Survey for official earthquake parameters.)

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii will issue a tsunami warning for regions near the epicenter.

Messages will continue to be issued hourly by the WCATWC until the event status is upgraded to a warning or advisory, or until the center has determined that the event poses no threat to the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coasts.

See the WCATWC web site for basic tsunami information, safety rules, and a tsunami travel time map and table. (NOTE: Travel time maps and tables indicate forecasted times only, not that a wave dangerous to the U.S. and Canadian coasts was generated.)

link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Don't want to be alarmist but RSOE EDIS is reporting that a Tsunami HAS BEEN detected.

So I don't know how far reaching it will be but check any local emergency broadcasts if you are on the coast in West Coast America.

they changed the epicenter and magnitude to 8.3 upon further review. It WAS offshore, meaning a possible threat of tsunami may exist. But so close, no time at all if there was one, it has already hit.

New epicenter has it about three miles offshore. They had about 1- 2 minutes. Maybe 3 if lucky before it hit.

link   
Found this one, they issued another tsunami warning. www.latimes.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
8.5 is big. Japan, Cali, then this. Stay alert people, be vigilant.

Updated it's 8.8 not 8.5

Need I remind you, richter scale is not a linear scale.

Wiki

[edit on Sat, 27 Feb 10 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Not what I was wanting to hear. I am just going to keep hoping that by some miracle the population has come out of this relatively OK.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
GuID: pacific.2010.02.27.064454
Date/Time: 2010-02-27 06:44:54
Source: PTWC
Area: Pacific Ocean
Magnitude: M 8.5
Depth: 55 km
Tsunami
observed: Yes, details available soon.
Original message: Show / Hide

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
A 7.0 in Japan and an 8.5 within 12 hours of each other this is real bad. Seems like the end of the world has started

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Oh dear god.

RSOE EDIS is now reporting that the volcano Planchón-Peteroa near the quake zone has begun to erupt (for the first time since 1937?)

Volcano ID: 1507-04=
Name: Planchón-Peteroa
Type: Stratovolcanoes
Elevation: 4107 metre
Last eruption: 2010
Alert Status: Orange, Eruption

They are also reporting a 6.3 aftershock:

27.02.2010 - 07:12:27 6.3 South America Chile Region de Valparaiso San Antonio

[edit on 27-2-2010 by fooffstarr]

[edit on 27-2-2010 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Check out NOAA realtime monitoring for tsunamis here
www.ndbc.noaa.gov/dart.shtml

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Maybe February is the month it all starts

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
RSOE EDIS must be getting lots of traffic.

Link quit working on me.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Not what I was wanting to hear. I am just going to keep hoping that by some miracle the population has come out of this relatively OK.

Yeah I know, but wait what was I thinking. At 3 miles offshore, and approximately 600 miles per hour/60 = 10 miles per minute. Sorry, those in the city of Curanipe- well, dear God. 1 minute if lucky before it hit.

Just hope people that it was a minor tsunami, if there was one.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
RSOE EDIS must be getting lots of traffic.

Link quit working on me.

Me too now. I have the plugin for Firefox though so any further quakes will be reported through it as they happen.

It can't monitor the tsunami warnings or volcano though.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Me too now. I have the plugin for Firefox though so any further quakes will be reported through it as they happen.

Great keep us updated!

Geezus the world seems to be going to hell. I've seen enough bad news for one night. I hope people are ok.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join