It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Honestly Believe We Are Totally Alone?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Kindred belief systems here Jenna.

I see your common sense is functioning perfectly well.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
They are definitely out there. Theres practically an infinite number of planets out there and astronomers have found many similar to ours, but I think the biggest mistake is thinking life needs a planet like ours, because if there can be life on the ocean floor (which when I was a kid scientists said that was impossible) living off sulfer gas, no light, and extreme pressure, then there is surely life forms elsewhere.

life seems to always find a way, even in the most extreme conditions.

I dont necessarily believe they have visitied us, I think 99% of that is secret man made machines (why does nobody give us humans that much credit?) just because if they were advanced enough to travel space and get here, they will be advanced enough to have stealth technology

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by yeti101

Edit to add;

Thinking further on the OP's question, i'd be interested in how many religious people will answer in the affirmative to the question of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe.

If not, what is their god? A simple, non aware, non-sentient entity? Or an example of highly intelligent, sophisticated life?

By their very definition of god as a real entity, rather than an 'invented figurehead', means they would have to (logically) answer yes, life does indeed exist elsewhere. Would it not?

[edit on 17/2/2010 by spikey]

[edit on 17/2/2010 by spikey]

Haha, I love that! And it's a very intriguing thought. There are a lot of answers they could come up with but all these answers would create a lot of random implications!

if he is a physical being, then they would have to answer yes, meaning he is out there somewhere, meaning there is defiantly life outside planet earth?

if they say he is real but he is on a different "plane" of existence, wouldn't that mean they have to believe in the afterlife/spiritual world, as this has the same explanation!

Love that thought! Thanks!

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Just to play Devil's Advocate here for a moment, I don't think that the majority of skeptics doubt there's life on other planets. They just doubt the notion that they're IQ's and technologies are sophisticated enough to create craft that could enable them to visit our planet.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWebby666

Heheh..now we're getting somewhere!

Water is available everywhere we look in our local space.

It's covering two thirds of our worlds surface, Europa, one of Jupiters moons is thought to be a frozen ball of water as is Enceladus, one of Saturns many, many moons.

Mars has active flows of water, peculating up from subsurface regions during spring and summer heating. Recent HiRise images have confirmed this. I'm not talking of the Hypothesized CO2 'melts' that have been in vogue lately, but the geysers running out of hillsides that have been found.

Comets and asteroids are full of water ice too.

The stuff is everywhere in our local solar system, so it's reasonable to assume it is in abundance everywhere.

BUT, as you say, water is only needed in a scenario where we are hypothesising about carbon based life, or life similar to our own biological systems.

There exists very real possibilities that non carbon based life exists that would not require water for it's survival. Silicon based life is one of these.

We even have examples of this kind of life right here on Earth! So it's not that far a stretch to hypothesize that this kind of life exists elsewhere in our universe!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reptilian_Queen
Just to play Devil's Advocate here for a moment, I don't think that the majority of skeptics doubt there's life on other planets. They just doubt the notion that they're IQ's and technologies are sophisticated enough to create craft that could enable them to visit our planet.

I agree with you there, a lot of the skeptics regarding UFO landings, sightings and abductions etc. probably do believe that there has to be life somewhere out there, which is why I posed the question.

The minority of people who think that there is no possible way, ever of there being life outside this planet still exist is who i'd really love to hear from.

Thanks,

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Fantastic! Agreement!

It is good to think outside the box, isn't it?

do you know of any missions that have been looking for life of non-carbon based life forms?

or even if the technology exists to search for such a thing?

i mean, it's not impossible to say that there could be beings somewhere that are made up of a substance that is not even known to us yet.

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWebby666
The minority of people who think that there is no possible way, ever of there being life outside this planet still exist is who i'd really love to hear from.

They're probably the same people who think the world is still flat. As incredible as that sounds, it is true that there are people today who think the world is flat.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptilian_Queen

Which is why i'd like to hold a conversation with them.

You know, try to turn them? haha

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Yes...agreed..but why? And how is that a logical view?

How can anyone answer in that and keep a straight face?!

It suggests, that they do not reject the concept of any external life, yet reject the concept of any advanced, technically capable life..based on what?

How can someone argue this with reasonable conviction, when we don't even know about all forms of life on our own world, after thousands of years of familiarity with it, let alone life external to it?

And then to argue that life exists, but is not technological is a baffling statement as to argue that point effectively, would require intimate knowledge of every part of our universe, which we clearly do not posses.

It also is arrogant in the extreme to suggest that life exists, but is on a lower technological footing or totally non technological in comparison to us. It reminds me of the attitudes of TPTB during the middle ages and the Earth being 'known' to be at the centre of the universe..

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
" What a great waste of space if we are alone".........

Personally the idea that there are a vast number of cultures out there makes more sence.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWebby666

Which is why i'd like to hold a conversation with them.

You know, try to turn them? haha

MrWebby666

This is just my opinion, but I think a lot of skeptics cannot believe that beings from other planets can travel to our solar system in the time it takes us to get to the gas station is because they form their opinions based on the level of our scientific knowledge, which is not even in the same category as their collective scientific knowledge.

*edit* P.S. You should inform the skeptics of this error and see how they react. I'd love to see that.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Reptilian_Queen]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWebby666

Thanks for the thanks!

As you point out yourself, life does not necessarily follow the same structure and commonality. 'God', IF a real entity, and in whatever form 'it' takes would surely just be another 'type' of life..even if that life is ethereal or 'spiritlike' in form.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It doesn't necessarily require water - perhaps it could be based on liquid methane. But water has some unique properties: it is an extremely good solvent, exists on earth in all 3 states, and is lighter when solid than when liquid.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It has also been speculated that there is the possibility of silicon based life forms.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You forgot super string theory and parallel realities.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
In a recent BBC tv program, Frank Drake showed the answer to his legendary equation to be 50,000. That's the approximate number of planets in our galaxy alone that must harbour intelligent life capable of interstellar communication.

In another recent BBC program about alien life, Sir Patrick Moore was asked if he believed in the existance of extraterrestial life. 'Oh yes', he said, 'I'm sure of it'.

Drake of course, is part of the SETI group. Patrick Moore usually knows what he's talking about. I ain't arguing with either.

WG3

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think it's just not a very relevant question to society yet. Once we reach the level of civilization and technology where we start exploring other galaxies and the like, then we'll have an entire field dedicated toward finding life. But right now we're pretty much confined to this rock, so it doesn't really matter to your average dude.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I believe life exists outside of us.

A LOT of people do. Not just here on ATS either. From family to friends. The whole nine yards.

The argument many people find themselves in though is whether or not we are being visited

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
We are alone and totally unique.

No matter how far we look, we will not find any sentient life. None.

We're it. The soul of the universe. We should strive to do better.

So0 True!!! (TRUTH be known as EMeT it is only suggested) From here does any life raise up to inhabit the Universe, and the Human Race against "Aliens" is just a byproduct ("Hardly worth mentioning"), little did we know as they that the only way was through the fire and He must BE.

According to the Script, they don't get the fruit again, and He-We win -but only by one of two ways Into the fire or Out and on to greet Him (these are the first resurrection). The raising of all is a full Millenium later and there is a Capitol of the Universe Founded here!

You are each far greater a reality than your imaginations for generations could conceive (but all the pieces with their suggestion have their Theatrical part), but here we are with the fire in the face of the realization that Billions of Dollars and a generation have yeilded no Food or Medicine or Sign of living.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join