It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Honestly Believe We Are Totally Alone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
In this day and age where science has proven that;

In our galaxy there is one sun and X amount of planets with X amount of moons,

Beyond the reaches of our galaxy there are X amount of more galaxies within one universe, each holding X amount of there own suns and planets and moons,

And beyond the reaches of our universe there are X amount of more universes with X amount of more galaxies within each universe, each holding X amount of there own suns and planets and moons.

With all them possibilities, surely its a 100% guarantee that its only time until we find E.T. life in whatever form (or they find us).

Whether or not you believe we have been visited, abducted etc. already, surly this is a true statement?

Any thoughts?

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Based on your numbers I would say there is an X% chance of life on other planets. But seriously... why not give us some real numbers.

There are 10 planets in our star system.
There are billions of stars in our galaxy.
There are billions of galaxies in our universe.

So that's about

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets.

Assuming this number is even FINITE! There may be way more than this, even a number we cannot fathom. There could be infinite planets!

The chances that there is life on other planets in my estimation is 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 percent.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01
Based on your numbers I would say there is an X% chance of life on other planets. But seriously... why not give us some real numbers.

There are 10 planets in our star system.
There are billions of stars in our galaxy.
There are billions of galaxies in our universe.

So that's about

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets.

Assuming this number is even FINITE! There may be way more than this, even a number we cannot fathom. There could be infinite planets!

The chances that there is life on other planets in my estimation is 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 percent.

Ok, I get where your coming from but you kind of answered your own question? It's numbers we probably can't fathom so I just used an X, I do appologise.

And you confirmed what i was saying as well. It's near enough certain there is life out there!

MrWebby666

[edit on 17-2-2010 by MrWebby666]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Based off your title alone.

Yes.

I and anyone else on ats, will say (probably) that we're not alone.

I believe in intelligent aliens, but not that they've reached us, for the time being.

I've met tons though that for religious reasons don't believe in aliens, even microorganisms. Those that don't believe because they are ignorant of the actual universe.

I didn't until I saw drakes equation, and much much more, and studied astronomy, and evolution, and just realized, that we're (neil tyson) are made up of the most common stuff out there, that it's not improbable to realize there's others!!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWebby666

No, we are not alone.

Which means that we have even more bored and crap to live with teenagers.

More screaming babies and tantrum throwing 2 year olds.

And more old people dying of boredom and neglect.

Welcome to the world.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I find it rather impossible to believe that out of all the planets in all the solar systems that exist this one is the only one to produce life. I'm convinced that there is other life out there and that it's intelligent. To think that this the only planet that is capable of producing and sustaining life is arrogant and small-minded, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Thanks.

In a way it's these people that I'd like to hear from, the people that for religious reasons, believe that we are the only things the "God" created.

I'd like to hear that viewpoint from them, and have them explain how they believe that.

I do like a religious debate, even better when it involves conspiracies! =]

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Exactly my point, but I guess there are still people out there that believe otherwise!

I’d just like to hear their side as well =]

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
just watched a documentary from HH

scientists are sure water existed in mars, so, yeah, life 99,999%% in mars

they think there are life in a moon in Jupiter, because there is water there, and a lot of water ...

so, if there are a lot of life in our solar system AHAHAHA

there are complex life everywhere too ....

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
How can you yet (believe) "base (your) life" on else?
Yes we are still alone (us and the aliens who got trapped here, where only is life)!
Unless you're talking about "GOD", then No we are not alone -but a "host of Heavenlies" are 'out there'!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Exactly, water has been found on planets/moon in our solar system to give alot of hope t finding life there, albeit micro organisms or fullyfledged beings we dont know.

However, with all the possibilities of the universe how do you know that water HAS to be present to sustain life?

Just throw that one in there. =]

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Personally, i think anyone who answers your question in the affirmative, is revealing how small their perceptions and intellect truly are.

As a species, we know nothing. Nothing of consequence anyway. To base a belief on almost zero knowledge is idiocy in the extreme.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Alone in our solar system? Probably

Alone in our galaxy? Maybe

Alone in the universe? Definately not

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

Oh, i'd say the chances in an infinite universe (or infinite number of universes)...OK..since we cannot fathom or comprehend infinity, i'll change that to 'all that space', are a LOT greater than you say.

In an (almost) infinite universe, (almost) infinite possibilities exist. Therefore the chances of life are 100%.

(That 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001% equate to unfathomable numbers of planets with life, when talking about (almost) infinite variables)

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
We are alone and totally unique.

No matter how far we look, we will not find any sentient life. None.

We're it. The soul of the universe. We should strive to do better.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

surely its a 100% guarantee that its only time until we find E.T. life in whatever form (or they find us).

100%? hmm depends on how common life is and our ability to detect it.

lets imagine theres no other life in our solar system we would then need to look at other star systems. The next generation of space telescopes might give us indirect evidence of life like detecting atmospheres like earths on other planets but they only work for stars within 100ly.

if theres no earth-like planets within 100ly we would need to wait for our tech to improve the range of stars we can study.

We just dont know it could take hundreds of years it may be the next mission to mars that detects life.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Personally, i think anyone who answers your question in the affirmative, is revealing how small their perceptions and intellect truly are.

As a species, we know nothing. Nothing of consequence anyway. To base a belief on almost zero knowledge is idiocy in the extreme.

Agreed, no one can say (at the moment) 100% yay or nay however, as yeti101 and I suggested it could take alot of time to come to a diffinitive answer due to technological advances.

Also, we might even be overlooking planets. if we are seaching for life on other planets with a basis of "all life needs water", how do we know for sure that there isn't some E.T. life form that doesn't need water?

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
We are alone and totally unique.

No matter how far we look, we will not find any sentient life. None.

We're it. The soul of the universe. We should strive to do better.

Can you give me 100% prrof of that?

Can you be 100% certain that in all that space that we know of, and probably more that we dont know of, we are the only lifeforms?

MrWebby666

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

No i dont think we're not alone! out of all of those freaking planets there has got to be at least a species just developing but as i've had alien experiances myself i would say that we're not alone i understand why some say we are but this is my opinion and i say we're not i won't judge others opinions

Ufo Revealer

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

The quoted text you pasted into your reply to me..wasn't a quote from me!

Did you mean to reply to someone else, then got sidetracked, because i didn't say what you say i said...if that makes any sense.

But answering your points, i don't think the OP meant how many planets or systems will we 'discover' or 'find' with life, it was more a hypothetical question of 'if' we as individuals think there is ANY other life in the Universe, apart from what we see on Earth of course.

And my point was to answer, of course there is. In an infinite and endless universe, quantum in nature, requires there to be life in myriad forms, throughout the universe.

There has to exist every possibility, in a universe with endless possibilities.

Ergo, the answer to the hypothetical question of life elsewhere is, yes of course there is. Come on people..the fact that intelligent life in the universe is postulating the question of life in the universe should be a small clue to the answer surely...

Edit to add;

Thinking further on the OP's question, i'd be interested in how many religious people will answer in the affirmative to the question of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe.

If not, what is their god? A simple, non aware, non-sentient entity? Or an example of highly intelligent, sophisticated life?

By their very definition of god as a real entity, rather than an 'invented figurehead', means they would have to (logically) answer yes, life does indeed exist elsewhere. Would it not?

[edit on 17/2/2010 by spikey]

[edit on 17/2/2010 by spikey]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join