It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are getting cooked right now by the Sun!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by meaguire

S 4 U! Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

2nd Line.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cursedwithknowledge

Um...

What's happening now is exactly what was forecast 3 or 4 days ago. At that time a coronal hole appeared in the northwest quadrant of the Sun. That hole caused an increase in the density of the solar wind which has now caused the increase in pressure. You'll notice that the speed of the solar wind is quite low.

As Paroxysm has pointed out, the Bz orientation (magnetic) of the wind is quite strong. This allows the solar magnetic field of the solar wind to connect with the Earth's magnetic field. This is why the magnetic field lines have taken on a splayed out appearance.

Dang. I skipped the word "south". Typing too fast. I hate when that happens. But if you see what Paroxysm wrote, it was about the south orientation. Looks like I was pretty durn close.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

So who do you believe?
1. Solar Scientist who's been writing papers for the US government for 30 years
2. Phage

I'll go with Dr. S.

So you believe the prof but not me, even though we said the same thing, because of the way I said it?
Makes tons of sense.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You both stated the same facts, but word it differently.

Look, I think you're a smart guy and you're trying to share real concrete information - but at the same time, you don't see the forest for the trees and some of your posts are interpreted as having a certain degree of "tunnel vision" or cockiness..

And it detracts from the threads at hand. Your usage of negative language is very subtle, you'd make a good lawyer I believe. Stating a fact and then dropping a dismissive hint here or there..
(see what I did there?)

[edit on 22-7-2009 by cursedwithknowledge]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Can you explain what was cocky about the way I explained what was happening? What was negative? It just seems kind of straight forward and emotionally neutral to me. Just boring old facts. Am I wrong?

By the way, did you notice what was said about me before I even entered the thread?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Phage, did you get a chance to read what Meaguire linked for us?

www.physorg.com...

I found this: "But there is no cool air in space", to be a weird concept. I always kind of thought of space as 'ALL cool air', especially the further away you get from those hot balls of gas...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Can you explain what was cocky about the way I explained what was happening? What was negative? It just seems kind of straight forward and emotionally neutral to me. Just boring old facts. Am I wrong?

By the way, did you notice what was said about me before I even entered the thread?

1) You are devoid of any excitement or emotion about these truly awesome events, and people who take them seriously (and not the people who are either intentionally or unintentionally are spreading FUD via ATS) find it insulting that when they try and come up with connections, ideas or theories you refuse to even humor the idea..

"Minor" "normal" "all the time" "routine", etc...

There are bigger processes at work here. Complicated processes. If you get tunnel vision and focus on the facts, you are putting up a barrier to your own enlightenment. Some people are excited to watch these processes in real time. They are inspired, awed- even scared.

I just feel like you're taking the magic away from it all, and I'm not the only one who shares this opinion. Look, I don't think you're being intentionally malicious. I respect your intelligence, but at the same time you really frustrate me sometimes.

and 2) yes.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

Space is neither cool nor hot. It has no temperature. It's the perfect insulator, that's how a thermos bottle works.

What I find intriguing is the massive scales they're talking about. Massive turbulent structures being broken down by many orders of magnitude. That's some rough "seas". I wonder if it would be a problem with a solar "sailboat".
science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

but at the same time you really frustrate me sometimes.

I feel the same way about others around here.
Don't worry. You'll get over it...or used to it.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Solar wind would have to exceed 600 before getting excited about it. Note in your photos how the magnetosphere (torus) surrounding the earth is stable, it's the light magnetic lines at the poles that are most influenced.

Hi 5 Phage.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I'm getting so sick and tired of graphs and stats people post on here and claiming it is different than two weeks ago.....

Listen, if anybody has been monitoring these stats and graphs for the last 30 years, looking at them every single day, keeping a log, i would be prone to take the warning that we are about to be cooked much more serious than some amateur who only uses the stats when they correspond to their crazy theories....

Anybody???

Didn't think so......

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I’ll tell ya.
Regardless of what people think there is something to this.

I’ve a tan that makes me almost look half blooded - deep two month every day in the sun kind’a tan.

I went out in the sun for only a very short time - to the beach yesterday - but went back home as the ocean was just too rough.

I used no oils etc.

I’m BAKED today!

Not a possibility for the amount of time I spent in the sun, and with a base tan that’s a couple months *deep*.

I’m worried. Yep.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

UV factors are independent of solar storms. Your local atmospheric conditions and temperature have more to do with it than the sun. The sun is quite consistent.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cursedwithknowledge
They are inspired, awed- even scared.

There you go...now you're getting it. And here's another easy correlation I have observed in my short time here on ATS:
Generating this "awe & fear", whether factual or fictitious, through posts and threads seems to get individuals multitudes of stars and flags.

I see a problem with that. Not with speculating and kicking around wild ideas, I believe they have whole sections on this site for that (the grey area?), but with the fear being generated and applauded with out those things called facts.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm glad somebody explained things a little. I'm embarrassed to know so little about the sun. I'm always afraid it's gonna cook us. Sometimes you smart guys make me defensive. :p I get intimidated and afraid to ask questions...mostly I hate being dumb sometimes. When you guys and gals that are smart save us from our fears and ignorance about being cooked by the sun and stuff like that, maybe you could end your posts with smiles and we wouldn't feel so bad.
Thank you folks for clearing it up for us. It looked bad to me.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Yeah what about the:

Increased electrical storm activity immediately following an increase in particle density?
What about the 5 Earthquakes after the density spiked?
What about GOES losing their xray & other sensors?

What about the "fudged" USGS data?

Considering that we're at the bottom of the curve (and we REALLY don't KNOW how high the coaster goes), I think everyone is minimizing the seriousness of what we are in for until the cycle peaks in 2012. It's only going to get worse from here.

Sleepy mister sun has let the "snooze button" run, and now he's ready to kick into first gear.

How many gears until we hit cycle peak, again?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm
There you go...now you're getting it. And here's another easy correlation I have observed in my short time here on ATS:
Generating this "awe & fear", whether factual or fictitious, through posts and threads seems to get individuals multitudes of stars and flags.

I see a problem with that. Not with speculating and kicking around wild ideas, I believe they have whole sections on this site for that (the grey area?), but with the fear being generated and applauded with out those things called facts.

Im calling it THE Q-FACTOR.....

For those who have been here for a while know exactly what i mean with that.....

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm

With all due respect, I'm pretty concerned myself- and I know a thing or two. I wouldn't say I'm scared, but absolutely concerned. Maybe it's good for people to get a little scared... Maybe people will turn off Lady GaGa and get over themselves..

Look at the movie Knowing - Look at the eclipse! Look at all the interest!

This is ALL new to people, and people are afraid of what they don't understand.

Deny ignorance and all, but hell I was a Boy Scout - Be prepared. Start with knowledge.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
FACT: DoD cut off civilian access (NASA) to Earth facing satellites used to track incoming bollides three or four weeks before Jupiter hit

FACT: They've taken the ENTIRE magnetometer chain offline at times - I had to get data from NORWAY!

FACT: They didn't update the USGS quake map with today's activity

FACT: NICT RTMS data "froze" (not glitched out) again, today..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join