It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul to Run For President! [UPDATE: He Will Not]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kcfusion
I dont understand the hostility towards supports of Ron...

Methinks that, for those most vocal and violent in their posts, that it's not really about Rep. Paul. Rather, some of these posters obviously just hate their own existence. Shame.

The world is your mirror...

[edit on 9.9.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

Not really. I don't "hate" bush, though I am 18-25. I have always been a conservative economically. Show me what candidates running are running on an ecomically conservative ticket.

John McCain isn't. He will increase spending by billions of dollars. We already know Obama isn't. Giuliani was, but he had little foreign policy experience/understanding.

Truth is, even though Ron Paul has some ridiculous policies (that would never get past congress ANYWAY) he is economically and socially conservative on the issues. That is why he gets my vote.

You don't have to hate bush and love che "the psychpathic murderer" guevara to understand that Ron Paul is indeed a conservative. One of the few still running for presidency.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

nevermind, now I know you are just a Fox News minion as they were the ones portraying Ron Paul to be part of that absurd 9/11 truth movement, even though Ron Paul is on record saying he supports no such thing.

When you go to hannity and colms for news, this is the kind of person that you get.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I find it kind of strange that Dennis Kucinich isn't included in the names... maybe he is included in the "Others"? I imagine he would support Ron Paul rather than Obama...

Dennis and Ron stand at two VERY different sides of the political spectrum. Don't expect kucinich to support paul, visa versa. They don't have much in common economically or socially.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
What has impressed me most about Rep. Paul is that he has helped me to understand what true conservatism is actually about. The Neo-Con agenda has gathered up many of the chronically angry, basement-warrior types out there [they're not all liberals, that's for sure...although they may still be naked at their computer in their Mom's finished basement, but that's beside the point] and convinced them that their version of a "Republican revolution" what the G.O.P.'s all about. Empire-building, essentially.

You know, the ones who sing songs about bombing other countries, for example.

Paul suggests fiscal conservatism, a more-isolationist policy, and less governmental intrusion in the lives of Americans. Sounds great...

I haven't felt good about the left-side of the ticket, although I've always voted "D". I'm not sure if Sen. Obama is truly who he appears to be [agent of change], or if he's just a CFR-puppet.

I would not vote for Sen. McCain.

Now, if Rep. Paul is on the ballot...first, let's hope that, IF HE RUNS, he'll be allowed into the debates. And if so, he'll have to improve on his body language a bit. While he was certainly my horse in the Republican primary-season debates, and he livened 'em up, he didn't carry himself with quite the poise and confidence one would need to effectively challenge the two parties in an election. Not to disparage him; rather, just to point out an observation of mine.

I'll have to stay tuned.

[edit on 9.9.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
WOW that would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude I would do whatever it took down here in Florida to get him elected man...holy cow Ill be paying close attention great find@@

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm 35 and if i have to write his name in on the ballot to vote for him I will.

If people can't see what the priorities of BOTH administrations running for office after the take over of Fannie and Freddie are...its not THE PEOPLE.

oh, ps.. I don't live with my parents nor do I live in a basement :p

[edit on 9/9/2008 by toepick]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Couple of disjointed thoughts here.

1. The idea that Kucinich may be among the "others" who would support a Paul run: I'm not sure Dr. Paul wants that endorsement. Aside from having a decent looking wife, Dennis Kucinich is a ranting, raving, ass of a man. He's viewed by mainstream America as a complete loon and Paul's garnering of his support would probably hurt his campaign far more than it would help him.

2. I watched Ron Paul on Colbert last week and gotta say, I was somewhat dismayed. I was actually a Paul supporter during the primaries, but he seemed different then. On Colbert he had absolutely no oratory, and he sounded very unimposing bordering on frail. For the first time I actually saw what some of his detractors have been saying, at times he does come off like a little old man who's weak in the poop. I'm willing to write off the Colbert appearance as an abberition and give him the benefit of the doubt, but many more uninspiring appearances like that and I just can't see myself voting for him, throw away or not.

3. The key demographics in this election are Hillary supporters who don't trust/like Obama and young people who don't relate to McCain. I honestly cannot see Ron Paul attracting disgruntled Hillary supporters, especially not the way the Palin pick seems to be doing for John McCain. I can, however, see Ron Paul attracting his young voter support back into the fold, much of it at the detriment of Barack Obama. Spin it however you want, but the meat & potatoes of registered GOP voters have come to terms with and are now firmly behind John McCain come November. The party wide insanity and ridiculous talk of sacrificing this election for the future good of the party is, thankfully, over. I'm not sure the same can be said for the Democrats, who still seem to have a pretty deep rut between Obama & Hillary's diehards... a rut which a Ron Paul could drive along and steal a few handfulls of voters from.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I find it highly unlikely that they will be forming some kind of super group, or throwing their weight behind Ron. Two of the names mentioned are Nader and McKinney. I would imagine they respect Ron, but disagree with some of his policies too much to endorse or join him in any way.

One speculation I haven't seen anyone throw out, is perhaps they intend to hold an alternative debate. I would like that a lot, a few of the 'left' and a few of the 'right' having a real debate about policies, unlike most major candidates who are too scared to say what their policies are most of the time.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

burd, I know that you've seen this...this is for those who haven't.

And I found Rep. Paul to be surprisingly funny and composed. Sure, he rung his hands a bit, but Colbert's character is quite the aggressive interviewer.

Not bad...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
reply to post by walkinghomer

It doesn't matter to the rest of america what Ron Paul claims to stand for, we never got past the 911 conspiracy garbage he was for. Maybe if he didn't start his message out in the fruitcake section we would have gotten futher into his agenda. He only garners at best 10% and that was not even evident nationwide in the primaries. His demographic is easily seen by who shows up at his rallyies, does his viral internet campaigning and disrupted strawpolls.

You have just certified that you haven't ever taken just a few seconds of your time to actually find out what it is he "claims" to stand for. If you knew even one single thing about his position on any issue, you would have never embarrassed yourself by posting the above. Any and all comments made by you thus far in this thread, are therefore baseless, and will be considered vomit from your keyboard.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

2. I watched Ron Paul on Colbert last week and gotta say, I was somewhat dismayed. I was actually a Paul supporter during the primaries, but he seemed different then. On Colbert he had absolutely no oratory, and he sounded very unimposing bordering on frail. For the first time I actually saw what some of his detractors have been saying, at times he does come off like a little old man who's weak in the poop. I'm willing to write off the Colbert appearance as an abberition and give him the benefit of the doubt, but many more uninspiring appearances like that and I just can't see myself voting for him, throw away or not.

I understand what you are saying, but I see it as the difference between someone knowing what they are talking about and appearing to know what they are talking about.

A person or politician can have all the confidence and composure in the world, does that mean they are right? or that someone should take their word on policy over another?

I don't think so, I understand that not everyone sees it the same as I do and agree Paul has moments he needs to work on, but is posture something we should ever base our votes on?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

If you were once a RP supporter how can you even be a McCain supporter they are total opposites. McCain is for big Fannie government bailouts, Paul is not, McCain is for bases in every country and a empire building agenda, Ron Paul is not, McCain is for legislative morality and telling people how to run their own lives, Ron Paul does not want to...I can go on and on but have crap to do. There is no comparison. McCain and Obama are the same big government and big spending its just one of them is going to tax you up front and the other will put it on the charge card.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Spin it however you want, but the meat & potatoes of registered GOP voters have come to terms with and are now firmly behind John McCain come November.

You might want to rethink how "firmly" the GOP is behind him. I live in Arizona and can tell you that LOTS of people DO NOT LIKE McCain. Maybe because he was/is too much of a "maverick". FYI he might have BIG problems even winning his own state.

www.csmonitor.com...

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

amen brother.. amen! according to Google trends, how could anyone really vote in this election.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he said he WAS NOT running for president on Cavuto a sec ago....it was a nice thought at least. But he didnt rule out backing a candidate. Hmmmm

[edit on 9-9-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I'm not so much supporting McCain as I am trying my damnedest to keep Barack Obama out of the White House. I'd rather spend four years extracting shards of glass from my testicles than deal with four years of Obama/Biden. The way I see it, a vote for McCain equals a -1 vote for Obama because I'm voting for the man most likely to defeat him. A vote for Ron Paul is a zero sum vote, as I wasn't going to vote for Obama in any scenario but I also didn't cast a vote that actually hurts Obama's chances.

I also have another motive. I do not live in a swing state. Washington will go to Obama regardless because the region west of the Cascades is firmly entrenched in the liberal machine. However, one issue that has cheesed me off over the past 8 years is how often the "Bush lost the popular vote so he isn't legitimate" nonsense has been thrown at us. He lost the popular vote purely because conservatives in the far western states of Cali, Oregon, and Washington decided to just go home after work, knowing their states were going to Gore regardless of their votes. I'm doing my part to try and prevent that from happening again.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

ouch I dont know about the shards of glass being pulled from testicles....I think Id almost rather have Obama than do that for one year

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Ok new news out its actually rumored that RP will try to set up some sort of 3rd party debate. This way the people in the 3rd party can get their message out. Im sure the media will not cover it though but hey its a good first step....still wish RP would run.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

The first place I lived after moving from New Mexico was Tucson, for 6 years. I miss the quail and the monsoons.

Remember immediately prior to 9/11 there was actually a strong movement to impeach McCain among the hard line conservatives who felt he'd screwed us over on firearm issues? The movement quieted down after 9/11, but leading into the 2004 elections it was widely assumed that he'd struggle to keep his senate seat. His detractors in Arizona are very loud, but his supporters are very numerous. He won his seat in a landslide and, inexplicably to me, it was actually my friend J.D. Hayworth who shockingly lost 2 years later.

This is much of the same. McCain's winning Arizona isn't even a question in my mind, though those opposed to him certainly are hoping that this falsehood will become an issue in people's minds, which is why they've raised this rabble.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join