It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin owes the American people an apology!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

This country became great because it used to be full of people who realized it was up to them to make it or break it.

Public education, the Eisenhower freeway system, union drives and organization for the working class in the late 1800's and 1900's, government funded research and development in things like the space administration, social security, regulatory agencies that were developed to keep the food and water clean, social security, WICA and other programs in the dpt. of agriculture to prevent child hunger and offer assistance to single mother's, disaster relief, equal rights / the bill of rights, woman's suffrage, OSHA, railroad subsidies that directly led to the building of our nations railroad infrastructure, energy subsidies that led to building the electric grid coast to coast, airline subsidies and regulation that developed air transport infrastructure, Medicare/Medicaid while not a complete fix has gone a long ways towards improving the availability of healthcare to those in retirement, the 40 hour work week, minimum wage, child labor laws, on the job safety regulations, OSHA, Federal Aviation Administration that regulates safety and the skies, police, fire, sewer, irrigation, dams, street lights, stop signs and lights, public institutes for higher education and research, student grants and loan programs to provide opportunities for those other than the rich elite to get an education....

We wouldn't be where we are today without the above. The "free market" and individuals didn't do the above. Cooperation and government involvement brought them forward. It's basic history 101.

Palin's insult on those who dare do the honorable, who rather than make the big bucks on Wall street as many Harvard law graduates do, Obama goes to work in the inner city...let's say for the sake of argument that it was 100% for his own career advancement, it still was getting in and working for the people who for one reason or another have slipped through the cracks, and his efforts benefit the needy in society far more than if he went to work for the wealthy elites to maximize their profits and investments...Regardless, it's a non issue and a side track sir. Community organizers, and workers to make things better and improve the lives of people and minimize suffering and strife do not deserve insults from an ambitious freshly groomed republican running for VP. Hundreds of thousands go to school on loans and work hard to become low paying (barely able to carve out a living) social workers and MSW's to help deal with issues such as substance abuse, addictions, homelessness, domestic violence, rape, unemployment, disease, child hunger, child abuse, child adoptions etc...then there are the mental health professionals working in the community mental health centers dealing with millions of clients nationwide (many who live in poor run down areas such as South Chicago) who suffer severe mental disabilities such as depression and the above issues. Run down schools, substandard living conditions, extreme unemployment etc...These professionals and countless honorable volunteers, along side of civil servants and volunteers who work to organize in the pursuit of relief and improved conditions all were jaded and worse than dissed--totally insulted--by Palin last night.

Obama with an advanced professional graduate degree in law rolls up his shirt sleeves and goes to work helping in the inner city, while Palin gets a BA in journalism and does what? Well we see that she joined up with a party for Alaskan independence, that she ran against her own mother in law for mayor of a town of 6000, that she shoots moose and rides snowmobiles in her spare time, gives talks at right wing churches about how people need to vote her way or go to hell (she actually said that at a church pulpit), and insults community organizers, social workers, and those caught in neighborhoods left behind with histories of racist victimization....she rubs salt in the bleeding wound while masochistic republicans cheer her on.

Some party eh? What a candidate huh? She's the apitamy of arrogant, and the personification of why I left the party in the 1990's and have watched it progressively decay and get worse daily. Yes, this woman and the speech writer, and indeed all who cheered owe a nation so diverse as ours a heart felt apology. Either she really meant to insult the people (99% minorities who live there and benifit from the community building), or she was so reckless and ignorant that she didn't realise it when she read the script prior to the speech delivery? Either way it's evidence that she isn't VP material whatsoever. You can't lead the most diverse nation on earth and say such vile things.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
reply to post by skyshow

What are you talking about? This quote?

I guess, I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities.”

So a "community organizer" is responsible to him or her self and his employer. The small town mayor is responsible for all the citizens of the town, in this case Wasilla. That seems like a big difference. How could you get upset about that? Just wondering.

A community organizer is responsible to the COMMUNITY. You know, the American citizens. This is hands-on service to country. Seeing a problem and then personally getting involved. Not just political posturing. I see much greater value in this kind of service than the typical politician and as best I can tell that is what Palin is. McCain himself listed Wasilla and Palin on his "pork lists" of towns recieving outrageous amounts of federal dollars (earmarks) that he WAS fighting against.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

So you think all those gov programs were from democats? lol, they didnt want civil rights or womans rights. Unions were once useful, they did their job, now they are usless.

Palin was speaking about executive experience, something a community organizer has none of.

It was stated already that obarry had political assperations in college and knew the best place to get in was chicago and on the southside, Chicago has the most crooked voting in all the world, the dead love to rise on election day and vote democrat in Chicago.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stinkhorn

your side tracking the issue, neverless I think you are owed a response. I didn't say from Democrats. If you look through the posts you will see that I was responding to someone who was insulting the efforst of "liberals". Those are all liberal programs, so we see it wasn't just individual efforts that made our nation great. I would offer even further, that perhaps one of the greatest contributors have been the countless heros who have gone into the trenches and did the community service, building, and organizing efforts that have ultimately led to many of our national advancements....I'm not saying Palin had to recognize these efforts, or the people who do the work, or even those who benifit and are in need. What I am saying is that it was uncalled for that she insult them, and that is why she must apologise and why she can not lead our diverse nation as VP or Pres, if McCain should die as he is now 72.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I am confused by the contradiction...

The GOP is a strong proponent of people "pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps" while portraying the Democratic party as a party that is looking for government handouts.

Well Obama worked as a community organizer trying to teach and help those impovershed americans "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps"..

While Palin relied HEAVILY on federal money for her tiny town of Wasilla.

Confused. Really. There seems to be a disconnect between rhetoric and actions here.

As Mayor, Palin Used Funding Ploy She Now Decries
www.npr.org...
Taxpayers for Common Sense combed through the lobbying reports that Wasilla filed when Palin was mayor. It came up with 14 items, totaling slightly less than $27 million.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

dirty and disgusting, and insulting to everyone who works in places like South Chicago wich is what she was refering to as Obama whent to work there following graduating from law school at an Ivy league rather than going directly to work the cash cow on Wall street like all good rich elite folks do...it insults the work, the desire to improve America, and the good folks who endure living in a world passed by the wealthy elites...he and all who do this work need to be honored not spit on and used as props for her GOP headlining speech for VP.
reply to post by skyshow

Palins comments about community organizers were probably a direct reference to the fact that Obama did "community organizer" work after law school. Not much is known about what Obama did, if he did any good, if he actually helped anyone, did they go on to change their lives for the good. So Palin as well as many others are questioning Barac about his early days, what did he do? Not much is known about the man that thinks he should be president!

The country deserves to know more about this man and this fact will continue to be a problem for him.

A lot is known about Palin. It's all out on the record, nothing to hide!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What Sarah Palin was trying to point out, was that Barak Hussein Obama has no experience... at all... none... He is a faker. A smoke and miirs guy. A good talker. A one time dope smoking, cocain snorting individual who now gets high off the worship of coolaid drinking people who will believe anything. A man who hangs out with racsists and terrorists, and criminals. So... if you don't get the point Sarah Palin was making, too bad. She was not insulting community organizers, she was saying that this is not qualifying for a person to be the President of the USA.

Don't believe all the stuff the liberals tell you. Try to figure it out all by yourself. You don't need talking points. Take a good look at Obama (O'reilly tonight 8pm) and ask yourself, do I trust this man at 3 am to answwer the phone and make the right decision? Do I trust him with my car keys? Or my wallet ? or anything..?

If the answer is no. Pull the lever for McCain or just stay home.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Do I trust him (Obama) with my car keys? Or my wallet ? or anything..?

If the answer is no. Pull the lever for McCain or just stay home.

Why would Obama want my car keys or wallet? Do you think he is a carjacker or mugger? I am confused.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
Not much is known about what Obama did, ... Not much is known about the man that thinks he should be president!

I love it when people who don't have the motivation to look up something and educate themselves fall back on the statement of "Not much is known..."
It's known.

Plenty is known. All you have to do is exercise curiosity. Google it.

Palin's statement about community organizers was a direct insult to all of them. Not just Obama.

Why Do Republicans Mock Community Organizer Role?

For your information and for Ms. Palin's:

Community Organizing

The American Civil Rights Movement, the anti-war movements, the Chicano movement, the feminist movement, and the gay rights movement all influenced and were influenced by ideas of neighborhood organizing. Experience with federal anti-poverty programs and the upheavals in the cities produced a thoughtful response among activists and theorists in the early 1970s that has informed activities, organizations, strategies and movements through the end of the century. Less dramatically, civic associations and neighborhood block clubs were formed all across the country to foster community spirit and civic duty, as well as provide a social outlet.

Many of the most notable leaders in community organizing today emerged from the National Welfare Rights Organization. John Calkins of DART, Ernesto Cortes of the Industrial Areas Foundation, Wade Rathke of ACORN, John Dodds of Philadelphia Unemployment Project and Mark Splain of the AFL-CIO, among others.

Other famous community organizers include: Jane Addams, César Chávez, Samuel Gompers, Martin Luther King, Jr., John L. Lewis, Ralph Nader, Barack Obama, Pat Robertson, and Paul Wellstone.

But these people never amounted to anything...
The answer to ignorance is education!

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed
A "community organiser" is nothing but a low level cog in a political machine. Nothing more, nothing less. Its not some sanctified secular preisthood, or some great and noble profession. A community organiser gets people together to demand free crap from the government, or bitch about crap they dont like. Why am I not surprised however that liberals find this profession to be the epitomy and apotheosis of public service and nobility.

Generally good observations about what a community organizer does.

And Palin does not owe America an apology. My god, Obama supporters seem to have such thin skins.

If anybody is owed an apology, it is Palin for how she has been treated in the MSM.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Obama's Response to Sarah's "community organizing" comment.

He also speaks to sexism and the relevancy of Palin's experience.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think even community organizers would agree that their job doesn't qualify them for the Presidency of the United States. their job is that of a facilitator.

Governor Palin didn't claim their jobs were unimportant, she simply illustrated how this type of training and experience weren't germaine to the governing of a nation of over 300,000,000+ million people.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
Palin owes the American people an apology!

rubbish, she was dead on

community organisation does not compare to running a city or a state at all

she is more qualified to be president than obama, she has more experience, at the very least!

this is the only response libs have to the charge levelled at obama?

indignant community organisers?

ha ha ha!

----->>>> Hey Palin: Community building is a noble cause!!! Ever been to South Chicago? Anyone who graduates law school from an Ivy League institution and goes to somewhere like that to roll up sleeves and get to work doing good rather than take the cushy and plush well paying Wall street job is a true American hero, and a hero to me. I find your comments rather insulting to say the least and certainly not representative of "the people". What "people" is it you're talking about exactly? You owe the hundreds of thousands of social workers, psychologists and other community builders and workers one huge apology, but even more, you owe millions of Americans one!

pish... very nice people i'm sure, but hardly qualified to sit in the big chair

especially compared to a governership!

or a mayoral position!

or even perhaps day manager at mcburgertown....

solid stations of leadership?

compared to social work?

easiest degree on campus to get, and perpetual bureaucratic parasite... not presidential mettle

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Governor Palin didn't claim their jobs were unimportant,

No, she said they didn't have any actual responsibilities.

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities.

text

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Personally, I am tired of people bashing Obama and Palin! What good does this petty bickering do for America? Washington is broken, because of the partisan politics that have plagued our nation for as long as I can remember. The founding fathers knew the value of compromise. We have forgotten that lesson! Does it really matter if Obama was a community organizer and not a mayor? He still was willing to do work that not many people would do. I don't agree with Sarah Palin, but I was touched when she said she would be an advocate for those with special needs. No wonder our nation is in such bad shape, people are too busy bickering to get things done.

As for Rudy Giuliani's speech, it made me sick. The way he belittled Barack Obama was totally uncalled for. When he said that Palin had more experience than both candidates on the Democratic side that was a lie. Joe Biden has been in the senate for a long time. I'm so tired of hearing the Republicans bash people! I'm voting for Barack Obama, but if Ron Paul had a chance I would vote for him instead.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Well despite a (one of many...) bold faced lie she told in her speech last night where she said he didn't sign or produce one bit of legislation ever! God, she is such an ignorant out to lunch hack...she's running for VP and doesn't even bother to check up on the Jr. Senator's work history, and tells such a blatent lie like that.

Anyway, maybe it's time we do some simple research and look up some of the legislation and things he has done. I googled "Obama legislation" and in less than 30 seconds found this one....but you can do your own research. In fact background check all of her claims...look at the wopper she told about the bridge to nowhere that she says she didn't support...a dig in research shows she not only supported the pork for that to begin with but there's another bridge as well!

But, one lie at a time: here's the Obama article I found, but there are many other sources, so don't take my word for it, do your own research on Obama's accomplishments:

www.washingtonpost.com...

Just more reasons why she ows this nation an apology.

Thanks for raising this important issue, this is why ATS is so amazing...we back things up and deny ignorance here!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by skyshow

It's actually making me angry now, on my bleeding birthday to boot.

Happy Birthday, SD!!

(sorry about the one-liner)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

But nowhere in that article do I see the name Barrack Obama....

Seriously, I am sure he did the job but where can i go to to find out what kind of job he did and how successful his community thing was?

I would think there would be records somewhere with his name on it detailing what all was involved or was happening.

I'm googling but if you find something please post the link.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Palin's speech was the standard crap she's just a good script reader,she's there as a scapegoat for the GOP base when our pre-determined election system has Obama and Biden win the bible thumpers can point thier fingers at her and her "sinfull" daughter and say they cost them the election.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by mike dangerously]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

What I'm having difficulty with is realizing that she is so incompetent that she is unable to do the very basic activity of a political professional and edit the freaking' speech. Anyone with a half of a bird brain would have looked at the comment and seen how incredibly insulting to so many honorable good hard working Americans who want to help the poor, but she goes forward with it bringing it up several times. Not only that but the blatant outright un-researched lies. She doesn't have to agree with her opponents, and she of course is free to attack on the issues, but to not even be capable of seeing the false and stupid (politically) statements in her speech, shows us all clearly that this woman is not presidential / vice presidential material at all. She can not represent the most diverse nation on earth and say such insulting stupid things.

And then there are all the party faithful who cheer her on. So now we learn that the Republicans are against community organizing (let's organize the community to be against community organizing...WTF This is the GOP 2008!!!) so that people don't have to rely on government programs but would be able to take care of themselves. Moreover they claim to be the most Christian-like party with a monopoly on moral values and then we see this heinous speech. What a joke!

[edit on 4-9-2008 by skyshow]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join