It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am prejudiced

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Might be a better title for the "Am I racist?" thread. It seems like nobody understands the difference between racism and prejudice.

Xenophobia is based on prejudice, not racism. An unfounded fear of a certain group of people based on not knowing the facts.

Like I've said in many previous threads, people seem to have lost the ability to think critically. Though, I guess that doesn't matter if the information is not at hand.

This is not a Grand Conspiracy to thwart your right to free speech. This is not a politically correct fascistic censure of you or your ideas.

You've got a right to your opinion and I to mine.

Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is not.

Cheers!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I consider myself a racist to some extent. Simply because I happen to acknowledge that there are indeed differences between races, cultures, histories, etc. I choose however to celebrate those differences, instead of blindly accepting the programming that we are supposed to be all the same. I don't look upon someone negatively just because they happen to be different from me. So by recognizing the differences, I suppose that makes me a racist, since I am not colorblind.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I dunno. Prejudice means you judge before knowing. I dont do this. I judge based on past experiences. So if i see someone lurching down the road in threadbare clothes, and can smell them 30 feet away, its a good bet they are going to ask me for money, so i can move to the other side of the street if im not in a giving mood. In the same way, i can judge by the cut and style of a persons clothes, the demeanor on their face, and their posture, what type of attitude or energy they are trying to project, and can act accordingly. Its all quite evolutionary, i dont think our ancestors had to thoroughly communicate with each lion before deciding they were all out for a bite to eat. Similarly, to hold defensive behaviours in certain neighborhoods when confronted by certain types is quite reasonable i think. What is funny to me is people who intentionally project a certain type of energy (through dressing skimpy, or dressing aggressively, as well as facial expressions) and then get mad at people who react appropriately to the energy they are projecting. ah, people are so gamy and bizarre

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Jackinthebox, I wouldn't be so extreme in labeling yourself. "Recognizing the differences" doesn't make you a racist unless you hold

racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Source: www.merriam-webster.com...

If you fall under the second definition, I would simply call that prejudice. It is a thin line and the subject of heated debate recently. That is my opinion and apparently not the opinion of the lexicographers who modified the entry. OF COURSE your direct experience molds what you think about other people and other groups of people, as it does everyone else.

Do you believe that your race is superior?

No?

You're not a racist.

Prejudiced, perhaps.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by telepath]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
What is this? we all came from diffrent places and have seen diffrent things. Yes there is trash in every race, and it just so happens that what we remember are these undesireable people or events. I could judge every race or person by these pre-conceived notions that we all see. Do I? NO so why should anyone else? if your smarter than the masses teach the next generation to see people for who they are and not where they come from.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by acewilliams]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
That's real nice dear. You go with your racist thing. I tend to judge people by their action. I've known jews, blacks, asians, mexicans to be some of the nicest people in the world.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Who are you speaking to?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by acewilliams

Agree whole-heartedly.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Are you so trusting that you would let anyone walk on you? I would never set a group in with what i think of a fue of them. each person has the same chance to be despised or loved by me.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Not worth it.

[edit on 5/28/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
hey you guys are speaking with me too now so settle down aye!

haha

Based on dictionary definition we are all prejudice.

and racist in the sense that we distinguish cultural differences between different races. although the word these days has more negative connotations.

i believe that if you look back over the history of man. you will come to one conclusion that man by nature is a nasty little piece of work...

threads like this tend to bring it out a bit aswell...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
mankind in the past mite have been cruel to one another but we as a generation can stop this for the sake of the next.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
how can anyone be racist? there is only one race! Last time i went to the doctor, under the blank for "race" i put "human".

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Bingo pexx. We all bleed red. And we all die alone. I cannot stand rascist buggers. They make my head hurt.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Dear John,

FYI, I didn't bail on the alien telepathy thread. I have something called a "life" that needed tending to. If you look, there is a new post called ET COMM.

To judge someone as less than you BECAUSE of the differences is racist.

To simply acknowledge the differences is not.

This is the thing, I don't judge people as less than me JPM.

At any rate, I don't appreciate being called a racist. I don't think I am and I've explained why. Please explain your position. I've explained mine once already.

P.S., please calm down. Out with the personal insults please. Did I offend you somehow on some other thread? What's the deal JOHN? Please remember there is a person on the other side of that screen.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Not worth it.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Johnny,

Like a GI Joe huh?

Zero is fine with me, just keep posting.

Regards?! Holy cow man! That's much more civil.

Okay, shadow critter thread? Which one???? Please give me the link.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
INot worht it

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Well, apparently it's worth you coming over to my thread and undermining the conversation. Look. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings---I mean that. I'm not perfect. The reason why I want to see the thread is it might be a misunderstanding. I almost never make fun of people. It's not like me to do that. However... I do enjoy humor. Kind of a paradox right? Then, isn't everything a paradox? Isn't that what makes life INTERESTING?

HAL9000: John, why are you erasing all your words?

I see you left the "racist bugger" comment.

If you wanted to hurt my feelings, you did. Mission Accomplished.

I'll reiterate. Okay, to judge somebody as 'less' than you because of their race is racist.

"Qualifying borders," as you put it being skin color or ethnicity (race) in other words.

:::sigh:::

I really really hope that explains it.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Definatly not worht it.

new topics

top topics