It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geneticist Says: Genetically, blacks aren't as intelligent. (Update: Now Denies It)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The names Watson and Crick, it has been said, have “joined Darwin and Copernicus among the immortals”. The pair’s discovery of the structure of DNA, in 1953, has been hailed by fellow Nobel laureates as the greatest single scientific achievement of the 20th century. Today the only one remaining of the two, Dr James Watson, 79, stands alone as “the godfather of DNA”.

He says that he is “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours – whereas all the testing says not really”, and I know that this “hot potato” is going to be difficult to address. His hope is that everyone is equal, but he counters that “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true”.

Susan Greenfield, director of the Royal Institution, said that “nothing should stop you ascertaining the scientific truth; science must be free of concerns about gender and race”.

Link to article

I told ya.

[Mod Edit: Title changed from "It's Official" to "Study Says"
Reason:

Terms & Conditions 1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate
I checked the links and sources and cannot see anything that makes this official therefore I find the title to be misleading and/or inaccurate and have edited to a more unbiased interpretation of the article and thread.
[edit on 10-17-2007 by worldwatcher]

UPDATE:Thanks to Goosedawg's post, with the link to the NYT Article in which this very geneticist Dr Watson denies saying what he said.

Famed Scientist Apologizes for Quoted Racial Remarks
“I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said,” Dr. Watson said in a statement given to The Associated Press. “There is no scientific basis for such a belief.”

[edit on 10-19-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Most of his comments just sound racist, and I didn't find any evidence of what was said. In fact, he is still looking for the genes that create the supposed "intelligence gap" between the races.

I suppose this is a great example of Nature vs. Nurture. It just seems if the phrase, "black people aren't as smart as white people" were true, then there wouldn't be so many white people working at McDonalds and so many black people with professional careers.

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Its funny how people will deny any evidence shown to them if it doesnt support their very own BIASED views of the world.

Be objective? The guy discover the GENETIC HELIX.

Christ.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
what's your point? Generalizing a whole race will get you nowhere, I for one have met many african men and women who I find to be very smart, even so, smarter than many caucasions I've met.

And considering the shallow depth of this post, I would venture to bet that those same african americans I referenced are smarter than you. At least they know when to recognize compassion and rebuke inconsideration. :shk: To you and your, "I told Ya."

AAC

[edit on 17-10-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The fact that many afro-americans fail to submit to the 9-to-5-job-system as a corporate slave and time-controlled-robot shows me that they still have some intelligence left. Albeit a different kind of intelligence than that established by the establishment.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
what's your point? Generalizing a whole race will get you nowhere, I for one have met many african men and women who I find to be very smart, even so, smarter than many caucasions I've met.

And considering the shallow depth of this post, I would venture to bet that those same african americans I referenced are smarter than you. At least they know when to recognize compassion and rebuke inconsideration. :shk: To you and your, "I told Ya."

AAC

Can we study ANYTHING without GENERALIZING? Of course there are always a few oddballs. But for the MOST PART, that is an OBJECTIVE STUDY.

Who cares about the less than 5%.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I read the article looking for the "evidence" that's supposedly shown to us, but I don't see it. All I see is an article about someone's experience writing a book by/about a guy who is stuck in early 1900's. I didn't find anything that "proves" that dark skin = lower intelligence. All I see is some guys opinion that that's how it is.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Wow, are you Dr. Watson himself? Your views in this thread plus your gay alien thread seem to match the character of the doctor as revealed in this post on BTS on the same subject.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
From your quote in the OP

He says that he is “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours ...

Bolding mine
The article was talking about Africans not all blacks! Even still i doubt ALL AFRICANS are stupider than Westerners. And if most of them are thats the fault of poor education.

Your manipulation of the facts is astounding. The thread title should be modified immediately, and this thread should be moved to skunk works. Hell throw it in the trash where this bigotry belongs.

Edited for mistake.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by docklands

Who cares about the less than 5%.

I submit, who cares about your point? People have always been a product of their environment. All humans are capable of great potential, and as a whole, we all fall short. Just because the white man has been indoctrinated with core education and a traditionlist system of higher education, doesn't mean we're better or worse. It means we have been inadated with the potential to expand our capacity.

You have single out a race that has been perputually oppressed and forgotten about. If the African Americans had been brough to the United states as equals, and shared in the growth of Americans educational values, I believe this scientific opinion would be different.

Bottom line, we are all responsible for our own acheivements, not those of our fellow ethnicity.

And again, you're point indicates that you have much work to do as a human.

AAC

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I have to wonder now.. IF late at night you dont go out on the town dressed in a white sheet? Clan member? on ATS?

This poster drips of KKK.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by docklands

For all those who dismiss this theory as racist or unthinkable, let me ask you this:

Do you want political correctness to replace science?

Is it reasonable to believe that there are no genetic differences between races when it comes to intelligence? Are all races created exactly equal?

What would the odds of that be? That millions of years of evolution would mold every single race of people into having identical cognitive skills?

The point is that research should not be dismissed out of hand because of political correctness, or because the implications are uncomfortable.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
So docklands..you are homophobic and racist.Why do you bring your disgusting views here? Looking for new recruits? I have only been here a short time, but I know many people here will not tolerate your attitude for long.Enjoy your stay while it lasts...because it won't.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by robert z

For all those who dismiss this theory as racist or unthinkable, let me ask you this:

Do you want political correctness to replace science?

Is it reasonable to believe that there are no genetic differences between races when it comes to intelligence? Are all races created exactly equal?

What would the odds of that be? That millions of years of evolution would mold every single race of people into having identical cognitive skills?

The point is that research should not be dismissed out of hand because of political correctness, or because the implications are uncomfortable.

You have my great gratitude! It's funny how PC is above science. Is it any wonder we have regressed scientifically?

I mean, these people here on ATS are probably your average joe schmoe from average University, yet they question the Finder of the genetic helix.

PC is the death of science.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

How about your reply to my post.

Its here in case you missed it.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by robert z

I'm sure that the majority of the members on this site would be more willing to take the comment seriously if there were actual data to back it up. As it stands it's nothing more than this guy's opinion. I agree that political correctness should not stand in the way of serious research, or anything else for that matter, but I have yet to see any data to back this up.

What science? I see none. I see one man's opinion. I don't care if he's the creator of the genetic helix, if there is no data to back up his opinion then it's nothing more than an opinion and possibly the ravings of a man bordering on senility. Show me evidence, show me a study, show me anything that backs up his comment and I will be more than willing to have an intelligent conversation about it. Until then, you're darn right I question it. As will most of the members here. That's what we do. Deny ignorance and all that.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Jenna]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by docklands
Its funny how people will deny any evidence shown to them if it doesnt support their very own BIASED views of the world.

Be objective? The guy discover the GENETIC HELIX.

Christ.

Just to let you know, the GENETIC HELIX doesnt say anything about the intelligence of a person. The neural pathways decide that my friend

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Even if what you claim is true, which I highly doubt, what makes you seem so obviously racist is your attitude towards the claim. You seem happy with this claim, like finally you've proved blacks are inferior to yourself, and so justifies your racism?...

Since when has intelligence been the measure of Human worth? Going by this post I'm gonna guess your IQ is not exactly up to genius level? What greatness have you done for Humanity to give you the right to be so superior?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
So docklands..you are homophobic and racist.Why do you bring your disgusting views here? Looking for new recruits? I have only been here a short time, but I know many people here will not tolerate your attitude for long.Enjoy your stay while it lasts...because it won't.

Science > PC.

Truth will set you free.

Society is now blinded, blurred by accepting EVERYTHING as normal.

I'm just trying to see the downfall of humanity with the lens of an ATS member.

Plus, cant we have ANY discussions about Racial and Homosexuals? Are these subjects BEYOND ANY DISCUSSION?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Humpf. I suppose "White Trash" are smarter than successful African Americans?

ABSURD.

If what he says is true, then all whites are smarter than all African Americans, which when looking at society today, is not true. Other people have already mentioned they know highly intelligent Af Americans, smarter than some of the whites they know. If what he says is true there would not be African Americans with big homes living in my neighborhood (the best neighborhood in town).

Any human is capable of the same intelligence, all humans are capable of a capped intelligence where they cannot be any smarter. Test were probably done on uneducated African Americans, verses educated Whites.

But then, this also rises a philosophical question, what is it to be "intelligence" or "smart" in the human mind. Do good math skills make you smart? Good grammar, good ethics? It seems you can possess a wide variety of knowledge to be smart. Maybe one man is brilliant at building houses but does not know jack about computers, is this man stupid then? No. Its possible African Americans are smart at other things, rather than the material in which they were tested. Also, there is about .02% difference between ANY two humans on the face of the earth. This alone cannot determine if someone is intelligent or not.

IQ test determine intelligence, and even that IQ test is based on previous education. Many African Americans have NO interest in school, neither did I, and for good reason. Schools today do not teach how to learn. They simply teach material. If they truly taught how to learn, then there would be only a few grades, then, people could learn on their own, rather than the crap society pushes into them. All people are programed here in the school system to act a certain way, do certain things, or else punishment is applied. Humans can no longer do human things. You seriously can't even FART in school without being punished. I did many years ago when I was a senior, and got 2 days ISS (In School Suspension). I was holding hands with my girlfriend, OH! SNAP!, 3 days ISS. I once made a dart that was incapable of piercing even a cloth with a pen, a needle, and other supplies, and got suspended for two weeks, simply for being human and wanting to create. My point being, schools are corrupted and this is part to blame for low intelligence levels among people.

Since everyone makes mistakes (even nasa scientist that used metric instead of standard and crashed a mars landing probe a few years back) it is truly impossible to get any real statistics from humans when it comes to testing. Everyone is different. I'm sure if they picked another group of whites, and another group of African Americans, the results would be different, if not slightly, totally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join