It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forest on Mars !?!?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue bird
*and blude bird on red planet

And my second WATS would be a SWATS which is what you do upon seeing a blue bird on Mars?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus No, sorry. That place is just too damned cold and dry to sustain any larger lifeforms.

If you say so it must be true. You are obviously an expert on extra terrestrial biology...

Perhaps you could share some papers proving you claims?

Thank you

Oh wait! My bad... you did say it was your "guess"

[edit on 28-4-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

**my favorite dune//Endurance Crater

LOL Great minds think alike

What is really striking about these dunes is the sharp straight lines and triangular angles.

Yay! Finished page 6

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Couldn't agree more!

I found this on some forum - question about why are we not sending
this camera setup to Mars ???

- t a k e n at 400 m i l e s above earth !!!

Ah yes the Ikonos Satellite owned by Space imaging "GeoEye"

They have a great poster and zoomable image of AREA 51 - GROOM LAKE

I have posted this satellite before showing the Tsangpo River Gorge in full capability of this satellite... here it is again for those who missed it...(images of this quality cost thousands of dollars)

Here is the BIG PICTURE

Now this company has one image of the oon and I wrote them asking if they had more images. They do not image the moon, and their website states simply. "We will not be taking photos of the moon.." Short sweet and to the point.. but it leaves me asking "Why?" Their answer was that the satellite was designed for Earth imaging...

Yes we could easily put such a camera on a Lunar or Mars orbiter... and Department of Defense descriptions (as well as manufactures) state that they do indeed have such cameras out there...

Its just you and me won't get to see those images any time soon...

[edit on 28-4-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It is not that difficult to guess that there are 2 set of image releases, one for us and one restricted to 'them'.

Hmmm yes this as certain as taxes...(death is still in the open
)

But there is "us" and there is "them" as you say, though once in a while one of the "them" leaks out a little to a select few of "us"

Try www.lyle.org...

Let me know what you think...

PS You have mail

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

On these thread there are some images of some kind of jets, possibly CO2 - we can see high and rather narrow lines.

But - look carefully at this image - jets!? ...don't think so:

[edit on 28-4-2007 by blue bird]

No, in this instance I don't think we are looking at jets.
Perhaps something of lower energy. Seepage perhaps. Which would explain the alluvial looking pattern.

Or perhaps a martian version of "pingos"..Which occur on Earth in permafrost environments.
Here is a "pingo"

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Not bad idea!

I found this bird eye view of Arctic pingo - one collapsed and one not....but we can see, that , if under white cover - everything is white including pingo - here on Mars images we clearly see dark branching on white soil!?

And - with 'pingos' there must be must add a liquid water in picture coz :
The pingo's ice core usually originates from segregation or injection of fluid water, and can be massive.

Pingos are generally classified as hydrostatic (closed-system) or hydraulic (open-system). Hydrostatic-system pingos result from hydrostatic pressure on water from permafrost, and commonly form in drained lakes or river channels.

wiki

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

What is really striking about these dunes is the SHARP straight lines and triangular angles.

lol...than take a look at 'sharks teeth' - Sand Dunes in Proctor Crater

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
* just look at this beauty - Hubble images were not relised yet: Mars shot, taken with the United Kingdom Infrared Telescope (UKIRT) in Hawaii, is being called the sharpest ground-based photo to date

source

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
And that photo is from one of the Rovers, even if it was a lake it would be only some centimetres wide.

Well ArMaP sand or water....

Mind telling me what THIS is?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In the picture which Spacedoubt published above (what others have called sagebrush) I have seen these patterns on earth at the Rotorua geothermal region of New Zealand and no doubt they are obvious at Yellowstone and Iceland too.

They resemble chemical diffusion patterns from some sort of liquid oozong from a vent hole. I suggest they represent liquid sulferous compounds. Fresh emerging deposits create lighter coloured riverlets.

As for the dark smudges they all display the same orientation which indicates a fairly consistent perhaps katabatic wind. I say the dark smudges are blowholes emerging under sand dunes. Dark compounds in the fumes are staining the lighter coloured sand.

The lack of sharp shaddows betrays that these so called sage bushes have little real height above the surrounding ground.

To put it in context maybe the original poster could tell us where this location is in relation to known volcanic areas on Mars ?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

r....

Mind telling me what THIS is?

*desert island

source

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

If you really want to find a conspiracy here, try looking INTO the agencies that intrepret the data and present it to us rather than trying to beat them at their own game.
originally posted by zeeon

Do you have any suggestions on how to do that? I personally have contacted NASA personnel via email. They did not answer any anomaly questions, and their replies were dead-end stonewalls.

We've been waiting for years for NASA or JPL to interpret dozens of the most anomalous photos of mars. We're still waiting because, when the space agency can't come up with a prosaic explanation for a feature, they simply do not comment.

How frustrating it is to have truly facsinating imagery ignored, while NASA supplies endless analysis and commentary of rock-strewn plains and other relatively mundane features.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson

To put it in context maybe the original poster could tell us where this location is in relation to known volcanic areas on Mars ?

This “branching“ images are from south pole - and main volcanic activity is the Tharsis region. It is gradually built a circular region as high as 10 km and a radius of more than 4000 km.

source

source

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
*another highly interesting image of dark spots on south polar region:

source: MSSS

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
From Winter------to Spring...how earthly...how organic

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

* just look at this beauty

Hey slow down will ya? I just got to page nine on recording and find two more pages

LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It seems to me that there are mineral deposit possibilities that could explain most of the banyan tree formations...but they are highly unlikely.

When ants burrow their nests/mounds they eventually get evacuated and left. They eventually fill up with sediment and mineral, and we can see the lightning bolt shapes.

It is understandable that under the ice (which could likely have extended into these regions) there were microflora that survived, or there was an effusion of this mineral laden black sand into microfissures in the lower levels of the ice (where salinity is high, along with pressure, making it much weaker and prone to slushing and cracking). These effusions could easily be exposed once the geology of hte local region changed, creating these banyan looking formations.

However, i believe they are some sort of life. Plant/animal? Who the hell knows. Mars is iron rich (and, thus i believe its "destruction" was caused by the electromagnetic traits of this outer shell of oxidized iron). I think these "trees" appear to have life in the form we see on earth. Does it have to metabolise chemical the same way? Heck no! Why would it? We have microbes here that metabolize methane, silica, hydrocarbons. Life is opportunistic and will make due with whatever materials it needs to thrive.

I would caution people to really, really think outside the box when looking for life on other bodies (and in general). People get buried in boxes...its isn't a good place to be.

Now, on a second thought....i wonder if the "iron rich" outer surface of mars might not be normal? What would happen to our planet should all our buildings be left to decay? Would it not eventually create large areas where the completely decayed and decimated iron structures would have broken down and spread across? have you seen the tornados on mars? The dust storms? It is easy to think that the surface has been scoured time and again, removing any surface features of civilization. When i lived in El Paso, i saw sandstorms that stripped the paint off of vehicles in 10 minutes. Think about it.

Mars is a crippled planet. I hvae a theory that it is repairing itself from the last calamity. It will rise again. maybe not to what it once was...but it will rise again.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan When i lived in El Paso, i saw sandstorms that stripped the paint off of vehicles in 10 minutes. Think about it.

Well Mars Dust Devils are more gentle... They keep the dust off of the Rovers so they can keep going but don't rip off their delicate parts nor strip their paint. I would suspect that the lesser density of the air on Mars would pack less punch than it would on Earth

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Wind is not the only force, especially when you are tlaking about a thinner atmosphere.

Notice how the dust devil leaves behind the black marks. Tornado was a bad descriptive given our current points of reference. But dust devil seems equally as poor.

thunderbolts.info...

I see dust devils like these all the time here in West Texas, but they don't scorch the soil. I would be that, to kick up the soil like that in a thinner atmosphere, you would have to create quite the vortex, which you suggest wouldn't happen due to the "dusting of the rover" issue. Or, you have to "lighten the load" by creating magnetic fields that move the iron rich soil into higher vertical positions. It is the electric version of an updraft.

Here is a pretty good pic of a dust devil on Mars:

Maybe you have better? I would really like to see them if you do.

A Martian Butte:

A river bed:

Am I the only one that thinks Europa and Mars are fraternal twins?

Even right down to the "scars" caused by the electric discharge scorching the soil:

Here is another interesting photo that I haven't seen on here yet:

[edit on 29-4-2007 by bigfatfurrytexan]

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join