It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if TV was a version of mind control?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I don't know.
But we should get back on topic, which is TV.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
TV

ok

Although I think the point of the last few posts was whether or not the tv images contributed to apathy in the populace.

My daughter likes to watch Disney channel. They have a lot of imaginary stuff of course. But I think there can be too much imaginary stuff. If a child grows up living in fantasy world and not knowing the difference, I think that can be a very dangerous thing. Which is another reason I'm planning on cutting the cable. She seriously cannot tell realistic things from fantasy. My mom doesn't think it's a big deal, but at ten years old I could tell the difference. The tv stuff from when I was a kid often had an ethical element to it as well. Or tried to teach good choices. The stuff I see geared for kids today aren't like that at all. Not that I'd want a tv teaching my kid important stuff like that understand, but I don't want the stuff on tv to give them the wrong message either. The messages I see geared towards kids is that it's okay to pretend you're someone, it's cool/funny to do things to people which would cause serious harm/fatality in real life, etc. Then if people do such things in real life like hurt someone else then I think children are conditioned to be numb to it.

I remember reading about a study that was done years ago where they took two groups of five year olds. They had one group watching I think it was violent cartoons and the other group did something tame like colored. Then they had both groups watch the same movie where a puppy dies. The group which watched violent stuff was totally apathetic about the puppy while the other group was upset about the poor puppy.

And what's with the Matrix stuff?? Some of my instructors at the college are totally obsessed with the Matrix movies like they were real and have us write long papers arguing that the Matrix is real. And this is graduate level. This wasn't what I went to graduate school to do. I wanted to be able to get a job in my field. I can imagine myself now going to a job interview and being asked what I accomplished in graduate school and responding stuff about the Matrix. Yeah, that's preparing me for a better future.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Ok, i see your point. I sometimes watch the disney channel for 5-10 minutes at night while i watch adult swim(cartoon network) because the channels are right next to each other. I dont see anything wrong with the disney channel, but i think now it might be a form of conditioning, not that its a bad thing, but conditioning for what? a theory i have is that they are conditioning kids for aliens, ya know how most every single cartooon on disney and cartoon network has these weird alien freinds. Maybe im off topic, sorry

But as far as the matrix, i wouldnt knock it too much, i suggest you read david icke's book about the matrix. Yes it was the name of a TV movie, but people were calling reality 'the matrix' long before the movie was made (jordan maxwell.)

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think TV is a form of mind control, but not in the sense suggested here. It provides a lot of programming that doesn't require thinking. It teaches people to tune-out in the name of the next episode of Survivor or American Idle. If you don't think, you don't question. If you don't question, you don't even notice what's happening around you.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
of course tv is mind control, so are the newspapers and all the other media elements which tell you how to think. all you see in tv is people laughing and smiling, like thats the only thing to life. it really pisses me off that tv works that way.
another problem with the whole movie making industry. i was watching the secret space (or lost space?) film off of google. it completely worked with striking fear into the viewer. fear is the greatest tool to control people as we know. you are meant to relax watching and then all of a sudden this explosive sound pops up with the image of this alien all over the screen. it happens the whole time in the movie. your constantly on the edge.

i believe that people who want to "educate you" shouldnt use the means of having to manipulate you which, because it is the same thing "the bad guys are doing". think about it. michael moore talked about the media controling your mind with images and stuff which is completely true. but what did he do in his own movies??? make the people look like fools by putting them in cowboy costumes and such, playing rediculous music and representing the politicians actians with a completely childish voice.

it is the exact same thing, it is all propaganda. the way they represent it, the music and everything else, the flashy images are all meant to manipulate you. i believe that propaganda is a bad thing, no matter "good or bad".

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
moore criticized that the government tells you what to think and that it uses the means of manipulation to do so by music and such. i believe that he knew, since people were beginning to question their government, they would welcome his movies with open arms which they did. people didnt pay attention to the fact that he was using the same means of manipulation, im sure i didnt notice. i was like damn, now they gotta vote for the other guy running for president, but no , it didnt happen. i just couldnt understand how people could be so blind after the moore movies.
now i know better.

besides, do you guys believe moore is being sincere????i seriously doubt it!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
yeah i heard micheal moore was an illuminati puppet.. But not to get off subject...

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I can see this thread has gone a bit off topic. Anyways I was just thinking about adding another post the other day, so here I am.

Anyways, I was listening to my TV behind me as I was on my computer, and a show (maybe a cartoon on Adult Swim) was on, and the character was struggling. And I started thinking how the sound of a girl struggling and grunting sounds alot like a girl having sex.

Well, if your a guy without a girlfriend, and like all guys you think about sex alot, then it really does sound like some cartoon babe is getting pounded on TV. So much so that I spun around in my chiar, half expecting to see some pixlated bumping of cartoon nasties.

Anyways my point here is that the sound of a girl "grunting" or "moaning" often sounds sexual on regular tv and cartoons. I don't know if thats normal or I just have a dirty mind, but I did think that it's possibly done on purpose.

I mean right now theres some commercial on TV where some girl says "it has alot of meat, and thats what girls really want!" or something similar - obvious sexual reference. Like the very brief Burger King "groupies love the cock" (rooster) ad.

I don't think it's too unlikely that sexual sounds are added to television shows in addition to the already heavy dose of sexual imagry.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
In response to the OP -

Television would indeed be effective at a very low grade version of mind control. Commericals in particular fall into this catagory. Endless reptition really can make it's mark on the individual - look at the statistcis between obseity and hours logged in to watching television. There is a correlation.

When a subject watches televsion for an extended period of time, the brain enters into an "alpha state" or receptivity - this is to say that the longer you watch a particular station or subject, the greater the chance of you "tuning out" of reality and "into" the images on the box.

After a while in this state of mind, you become a little more open to suggestion - ever notice the commericals are always interjected into the movies right at the suspenseful points in the plot?

Your emotions are heightened at these points to where your mind is expecting a solution to the drama, and lo and behold - here comes a steady stream of commericals to help fill that expectational void.

It's a simple manipulation of emotions - cleverly designed and engineered - not by a NWO or government conspiracy - but rather a team of well paid analysists attempting to capitalize off the viewer.

Suggested reading " Aldous Huxleys - BRAVE NEW WORLD REVISITED.

There is a wonderful section on propaganda and the art of selling.

It helps explain a lot on this issue in general...

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
TV is definitely a form of mind control.

How clever to disguise mind control as a form of entertainment that all people on the planet like to embrace as fun and informative.

How fortunate for the powers that be that technology has evolved to the point whereby it is getting cheaper for people (not in 3rd world countries of course) to have the latest model and then it is superceded by another innovation. "Hey, we have to have this new one now"

The average Joe Bloggs is captive to the professionals who have made a science of marketing and the psychology of selling.

Some people even use TV as a babysitter, to the point where their kids only eat take away or snack foods and have no clue about what is good nutrition. They have to have all the latest toys and fad products and become real little horrors when they do not get.

Most people believe everything because they saw it on TV (or read it in the tabloids/papers), they are brain washed with disinformation and encouraged to spend money on often useless gadgets, beauty aids and fast foods, goods and services they really do not need.

I often think that those who refrain from watching TV (or are selective about what they watch) and the poorer people who can not afford TV have something far better in their lives than being slaves to consumerism.

Consumerism lulls people into a false sense that everything is 'hunky dory', 'it's all good'. Consumerism makes people competitive and contributes to social divides. That is not good in any society and flies in the face of 'all men are equal'.

I reckon one day we will be sitting down watching the idiot box and a strange noise will emanate from TVs throughout the 'burbs as we wander mindlessly to a muster point whereby we are sorted and shipped like cattle...for what I do not know (reminiscent of Red Alert PC game with references to Tesla beams)

Just my crazy convoluted thoughts

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Last I checked the device came with an on/off switch.

This is the same argument drug prohibitionists use....
The junkie has chosen to be that way?
Yes the dumb unwitting kid (or his parents more likely) sat him down one day infront of the idiot box.......

And now that the child is an addict it must be reasuring for him that he could stop at any time....... i'm sure he's going to kick the habbit he can always start tomorrow!! .. #!??? Right?

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Im glad that so many smart people have responded to my post..As for the girl on adult swim (i love adult swim btw) sounding like sex when she is struggling, i have thought this for a long time, im not sure if its just because they DO kinda sound the same even in real life when a girl struggles? ...And yes about the TV being a baby sitter, that is also correct. There is one thing that i have noticed since i posted, and that is that there ARE some good programs meant to guide children and other people but this is hugely disproportionate to the commercials and or programs, dare i say segments on fox news?...

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Tv is awsome. Comedy central, mtv, movies. It not mind control... it is entertanment

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You should read Snow Crash by Neil Stephonson. He has a unique take on Television being used as Mind control.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You should read Snow Crash by Neil Stephonson. He has a unique take on Television being used as Mind control.

Awsome cyber-punk novel! Read it even if you like your tv!

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hmm, I never really thought all TV was Mind Control, but now that I think about it...You know in movies and in TV Shows when they brainwash someone? They hold their eyelids up and force them to watch flashes of images?

Maybe TV is a Voluntary way of doing that.

That or...It could just be what it already is..Advertisement "WE" pay for. I don't understand why we have to pay for TV, when TV stations get sponsors to pay for their show in the first place. I understand I'm paying the cable company for the service, but the amount of money TV Stations get, shouldn't that cover the costs? any who.

So basically, Sponsors pay TV stations to Show Ads, and we Pay TV Stations to Watch those Ads. Man that sucks. Lucky for me, I don't buy cable.

[edit on 7-7-2007 by RandomThought]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I've heard rumours that you're more in danger of suffering from mind control if you work for the TV "people". Found a web-site recently that's all about that sort of stuff. The writer equates sudden TV personality deaths with the bizarre Marconi scientist deaths. Sorry I can't post a link but you'll find it via google if you type phonedupnshutup.com.

[edit on 7-7-2007 by wigit]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join