It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving out of the U.S.A

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
^^ That is true, like I said above, we still have more freedoms and protections inplace then anyone else.

Does NOT mean however, that you will not be happier in another nation. Otherwise the world would be terribly unhappy, they would want to be JUST like the US. .. where as it is actually complete opposite. Europeans are much, much happier about where they live and their lives then anyone else in the world, and while they are free people, America is "free'er" .. but does it matter if your not happy??

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Some people have more liberties than in America, but America is unique in the way that we have a lot of people who complain when these liberties are taken away. That's why here (I'm in the USA) it has to be hidden, like in the Patriot Act. And while I think the Patriot Act is a violation of our rights and hate most of it, the government has to be -very- careful in how they show it or Americans -will- respond.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Johnmike]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I've always liked the mountains. I still think about maybe moving to Colorado, but I'd like to know what's outside the country.

I'd prefer a mountainous area... not freezing all year round though.
I don't like big cities and lots of noise, but I like having malls & stores nearby. I work as a web/graphic designer so I'd have to live in a technologically developed area. A good internet connection would be a must.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
I've always liked the mountains. I still think about maybe moving to Colorado, but I'd like to know what's outside the country.

I'd prefer a mountainous area... not freezing all year round though.
I don't like big cities and lots of noise, but I like having malls & stores nearby. I work as a web/graphic designer so I'd have to live in a technologically developed area. A good internet connection would be a must.

In the USA I'd recommend State College, Pennsylvania. Its the little city in the middle of no where, which means there is an economy but a fifteen minute drive will put you into the country with plenty of mountains in the area. Likewise anywhere in the north east that you can find would be decent. The people here still stop when you break down on the side of the road and hold the door open for you, so its a great place to live.

It's funny how people consider the USA one country and exactly the same all over when infact there are many different cultures and communities depending on where in the US you go.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Go to Australia or NZ.

I have considered this.

At the moment, the only con to my leaving the country is I'd lose my disability, since I have to see the VA every three months to stay eligible.

How hard is it to get a job in Aus or NZ, I wonder...

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It is such a shame that this has become the case. America is STILL a wonderful country that has given the world much (and has also taken much). Rockpuck mentions Americas culture (or lack of) which confuses me when the culture of the US is the farthest reaching culture since the British Empire. America has continuously released wonderful media, from writers and poets, films and actors and music (although, no matter what any yank says, US music is nowhere near as good or influential as UK music!:-) ).

I too find myself frustrated and downright angry with America at times for its forign policies, its insular ways and the ignorance of many of its people but unfortunately that is because we (the rest of teh world) only get to see that side. Rarely see the constructive, intelligent majority of teh population.

America has had a complete pole shift, no longer the John Wayne character riding into town to save the day, now the guy in the black hat who is seen as repulsive and bad, though I still claim he is only missunderstood:-)

Originally posted by Rockpuck

The reason I want to move away from America, is because of the culture (or lack there of) and a desire to move back to where my ancestors used to live. America is not right for everyone .. we are very unfriendly people.. how many people talk to their neighbors every night? .. My neighbors a skitzo freak.. always peeping out the window. I am sick of the political correct atmosphere and the broken cities, the falling economy and the poor government. America is not for everyone, and it is not "unpatriotic" to want to move away either.. the land failed you, you did not fail the land. IMHO

The problem here Rockpuck is that Americans are shown so little of teh outside world they tend to see it as either the fairy tale they have been shown by hollywood (ie Mary Poppins London, the jolly inebriates Dublin or the sexy womans Italy) or the scaremongering shown by CNN (basically everything east of Russia and west of Hong Kong) but this just is not true. For example, it will shock many Americans who think the British speak with a posh plummy accent, stop for tea and live in a crime free semi paradise to find out that Britain is the most Crime Ridden country in the developed world (the top 3 for most offences are as follows 1: Scotland. 2: England and Wales. 3: Australia. America is further down the list). It tops the charts for all crimes from violant assaults, mugging and battery to burglary and car theft (every American I have spoken too who has spent time in England has been absolutely shocked by the crime and the street fights they have seen here). In fact, the only crime that America is worse with is murder, which you may say is the big one but it has also been proven that (due to the high population of such a small area) you are more likely to be murdered in Britain and Ireland than the US.

On top of that we face the same problems that you seem to be running away from and to some extent they are worse in Europe and please don't forget that Europe has been completely Americanised now.

Having said all that, I think travel is a wonderful thing to do at the right age. It is eye eopening and can really change a person for the better, infact I would go so far as to say it is quite essential! So go, be happy and explore the world but be prepared for what may await you, be careful and always remember where your home is and that you will always be welcomes back there with open arms.

Oh and to the 15 year old a few messages above. Good luck to you kidder! I think you have a wonderful ambition there and a great personality to go with it, it is a shame more kids don't have a little of what you have (typing that now, I have realised I might just be bigging up the next Hitler! DOH!! ;-) ). Just be careful though, if this is what you want to do bare in mind if/when you succeed everything you have ever written on the internet will come back to haunt you, so be weary of those arguments you might get into on games forums "OMG!! u suck ur a ritards lol!!111" ;-)

Good luck to everyone, whatever they choose

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Badge.

Best of luck with your endevour. However, I think you'll discover that the grass isn't always greener on the otherside of the fence. A trite statement maybe, but true nevertheless.

Best of luck, and much happiness.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Not all of us that wish to leave are doing so because of the "greener" philosophy.

I don't hate America, or any place for that matter. I've been around, albeit always in a military capacity.

I don't like the direction the country is heading. That's not to say that no other countries have problems or similar perceptions, but it's only a matter of time until I'm put into a position I don't want to be (again), and I prefer to leave before that.

Of course, at this point it's all speculation, haven't decided on where I'm going yet. But just clearing up possible misconception that all of those who are interested in leaving are doing so out of spite.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I can't believe that no one mentioned Canada as a great place to go if you "just gotta get out of the U.S."

I moved to Canada from the States a while ago and I've never looked back. Canada is, of course, very similar to the U.S. but, trust me, Canada is also very different.

Places like Spain, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Turkey etc have been mentioned. Do you realize how difficult the transition to a non-English speaking country could be? At least the transition to living in Canada would not be nearly as linguistically and culturally traumatic.

I love living in Canada. Canada is, in many ways, the antithesis of living in the States. Canada is safe, socially focused, respected by much of the world and, well, a beautiful place to live and to raise a family.

If you really feel that "you have to get out of Dodge", so to speak, don't overlook Canada.

Immigration to many places is often difficult and the same holds true for Canada but, nevertheless, it is possible.

Of course I had an easy time entering Canada. I simply married a Canadian girl and I was "in". (*ask me about the Emergency Minister's Permit if you don't feel like waiting for a year or two to enter Canada through the 'proper channels').

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Good point BH. I noticed you're from London, ON... I've been there and it seemed like a very nice place. I also prefer the colder climate (and hockey!). I still want to check out NZ though.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Good point BH.

AN UNSOLICITED RANT ON A TOPIC OF VITAL IMPORTANCE TO ALL CONCERNED

Perhaps I'm a bit touchy. Perhaps I am just egocentric or maybe, just maybe, I am out of sorts because of the fact I have been the subject of a devious form of "identity theft".....

I would like to point out that I am benevolent tyrant and NOT Benevolent Heretic. Except for the first word.....the names aren't the same at all.....the spelling is different as are the meanings. I am taller than Benevolent Heretic (I have never met her but, nevertheless, I doubt that she is over six feet in height -- I'm 6'2"). Benevolent Heretic is a female whereas I am male. I pee standing up. Note that I never capitalize my name, benevolent tyrant, as I am too humble. Benevolent Heretic is obviously an egomaniac of sorts as she never fails to capitalize her name. I have larger feet and larger hands than Benevolent Heretic (you know what that means -- big shoes, large gloves). I refer to myself as bt.....she is often referred to as BH...notice the obvious difference?

Benevolent Heretic and I, benevolent tyrant, are two different people -- joined together in some cosmic joke meant to leave me totally unhinged.

So, please note that I am NOT Benevolent Heretic....and , BH is, much to her regret, I'm sure, NOT ME. We are separate entities.

Besides, I am the first benevolent anything on ATS

I just had to make this clear.....please, for the love of God, do not make this mistake again!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I would say move the The Netherlands
. It's a free country, rather small but very international. Most of the people speak English, we have a lot of big international companies which have the headquaters. Everythings is towards the English language, if you prefer that. They have one of the highest living standards. The goverment looks well after you, even if you are a immigrant, alhough this is chaning a bit over the last years.

It is very central country in Europe, you can fly very easy to other countries in Europe in just a sec.

[edit on 6/11/2006 by rai76]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I would like to point out that I am benevolent tyrant and NOT Benevolent Heretic...

Lol, sorry m8... Too many Benevolents around here.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Benevolent, I have thought (not too seriously though) of going to Canada...mainly because I've heard the people there are all quite nice, I enjoy the backcountry (which canada seems to have plenty of), and I also really like to play ice hockey. Although I could probably get a similar effect living in the northern US, but just interested more on your take of moving "up there."

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Let me say a couple of things.

The B.S. is everywhere. The N.W.O. its here, and has been here.
The crap just changes sent where you go. It all depends on the out look of your life...your life period.

In saying that, i left the U.S. with my wife and kids over a year ago to Europe.
Moved to Hungary. (the country that kisses everyones arse from the Ottomans to the Austrians, to the Germans to the Russians, etc. Sheep, boxed mentality...its here and I see it everyday, even more so that I live in a rual village. They are smart, but book smart...not to free in spirit. Of course there are the exceptions, and some would argue that about half of the hungarian population left because of this?
Doesnt make people bad, dont read this the wrong way hungarians of the world.
But they think 100% different then what Im used to.)

so after reading that, the old saying, the grass is greener on the other side...applies
Regardless of what country you live in.
I have lived in Vienna Austria, Czech REpublic, England, Germany, etc.
People across the globe are the same, in that they all grew up in their boxes of ways of thinking which affects the culture.

But back to my main statement. The governments, all the same.
The dude in Iran, Hama, Hezbollah, Israels Zionist goverment, etc. probably all eat dinner together. Its about puppeting people around,, getting them to hate each other. Notice the people in Gaza suffer, not Hamas...its obvious the whole thing is a scam.

So, move where you will, you have to be happy with yourself and your life.
And it is possible, though many would say..."this sounds depressing".
No depressing is living with your mother-in-law for almost a year.

Seriously, I take into the teachings of Eckhart, and you really can make the best of where you are at.

Im in Europe cause there is something about the vibe I liked when I was here 10 years ago,.
Maybe the fact that I can ride a donkey to china, africa, India, cross the english channel with it...
Whereas in AMerica, same thing...all over the continenet. I needed variety I think. Yes, I know, a donkey trip would take a decade...but at least its possible.

If you move, its probably best to do it while your single...easier when your not even sure what you would like best. Do you like cold weather? Warm weather? Continental europe is cold (for me) in the winter, I hate it...the mediterranean and spain call me.

But...language, yes everyone speaks english...Still, when your in a country thats main langauge is not english...getting though the bureaucracy is simply impossible. (unless you truly love the way the people think and act...I cant stand the average "Hungarian" mentality.
Yet, I remain here.

So, while your single, get out, try it out..go to school overseas, etc.

If its long term, you may wind up in England, it can get interesting living day in and day out not hearing your native tounge. (again Im in a village, where people are to shy to speak the language, even the local english teacher.) Cable t.v. produces hungarian translated on english...so I miss the english. Budapest is different, but Hungary is no Budapest...

Point is, apply this to any country you go to. If your not in the busy city, that is mulit-culture, I can probably make a bet and win, that you will move back to the states after having culture shock.

I came from a city of 4 million in the states, so for me it has been interesting indeed.

To all you hungarians that read this...dont feel bad. Its hard when using generalizations.
I bet if you are reading this, you arent in Hungary, if so, your probably in Budapest...so this probably doesnt apply to you. I could go on, but this isnt my thread of my life in Hungary.
(has this crossed Hungary off your list? :lol

Peace

Dalen

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
hey thanks everyone

Oaxaca is pretty I have been there once...my Mom is from there hahaha yeah i am a citizen of the usa born and raised ...my Mom from mexico my dad is from the east coast...I still believe i'm gonna do it haha thanks I;m still thinking Spain!

YOu speak spanish and English...good for you, spain or England may be cool for you then.

Best to you in your travel. Mexico seems nice, always loved the beaches.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If you've got the start-up capital, check out Bermuda. Nicest people on earth, beautiful island, and English hospitality. That is if you can put up with Bermuda Shorts being considered acceptable business attire, was hard for me and I only visited for a week. And the whole driving on the left side, but it just takes some time to get used to.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Just remember, you hear horrible things about the American government, but the truth is most places are as bad or worse. And in America, its harder for them to violate your rights then in most places since people bitch about the Constitution.

Pretty much summarizes, to an extent what I was saying.
Though I think they are all the same "bad", they just come from a different "bad box" which people are already conditioned to being used to.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
my folks have long talked about relocating to canada for health care benefits. or dual citizenship at least. if we had affordable care here in the states i think it would change their views. but we don't.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Perhaps you need to spend some time traveling around the world. You may be able to find a country that you would rather live in than the US.

As far as I can tell, there is no perfect country. You may be lucky and find a county in which you can be gainfully employed, feel that the people have a true voice in the government and one in which you would be pleased to be a citizen.

If you are so lucky to find your place, then share your experience with us.

I've always maintained that if I thought there was a better county to live in then I'd move.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join