It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quakes rocks Indonesia! Thousands killed!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
A earth quake measuring 6.2 has hit the region of YOGYAKARTA in Indonesia,

Reports from a hospital nurse states that 5 people have been killed and possible 50 are being treated,

UPDATE: Thousands reported killed

We have at least five people dead, but it could be more," Wahab, a nurse at Muhammmadiyah hospital, told Reuters by telephone. He said there were dozens more injured. Earlier another hospital official told a radio station that 50 people had been admitted for treatment.

this area itself is a place where many tourists visit, and also is the foot of Mount Merapi

www.alertnet.org...

I have made this thread as to be able to update on this situation,

I really hope this volcano does not decided to go, and im hoping the death toll also does not go any higher,

Below link shows where the quake is,
img87.imageshack.us...

[edit on 28-5-2006 by asala]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Im hearing now that there are 15 dead and hundreds injured!

Ill update with link soon,

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck at 5:54 a.m. and was centered about 15 miles southwest of Jogyakarta.

Local police said electricity and communications across the city were knocked out.

Shortly before the quake, the nearby Mount Merapi volcano sent out a cloud of hot gas and ash. It was not immediately clear if the volcanic activity and the earthquake were linked.

www.chron.com...

[edit on 26-5-2006 by asala]

[edit on 26-5-2006 by asala]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Reports of "tidal waves" at the south coast of Java.

Channelnewsasia.com: Strong earthquake hits Central Java, several killed, hundreds injured

Temblors were felt in various cities in Central and East Java, including on the northern coast of Central Java and as far as Kediri to the east. An official on duty at the Panti Rapih general hospital in Yogyakarta said that "hundreds of people are being admitted and they continue to come."

[---]

hundreds of houses partially or entirely collapsed in the Bantul and Kulonprogo districts south and southwest of Yogyakarta. "The report is that the earthquake was on the coastline, also followed by tidal waves," Yogyakarta province police chief Bambang Hari Sampurnojati told the ElShinta radio. He could not give further details on the reported waves.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Usually,a magnitude 6 quake is not large enough to trigger a tsunami.
If it did it would be probably only detectable by buoys and tsunami sensors.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
More than 50 killed

Channelnewsasia.com: Over 50 killed, hundreds injured after strong quake rocks Java

At least 51 people people were killed and hundreds injured when a strong earthquake rocked the densely-populated southern coast of Indonesia's Central Java on Saturday, police and witnesses said.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Wow, the death toll is increasing fast! Now they say more than 100 have been killed!

BBC: Dozens killed in Indonesia quake

More than 100 people have been killed and scores injured by a strong earthquake that struck the Indonesian island of Java, hospitals say.

edit to add:
Channelnewsasia.com: At least 115 killed, many injured after strong quake rocks Java

Visit either of these two news articles for latest number. The death toll increases every time I click on them.

[edit on 2006/5/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Channelnewsasia.com: At least 115 killed, many injured after strong quake rocks Java

Now they say at least 161 dead

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

External Source

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck at 5:54 a.m. and was centered about 15 miles southwest of Jogyakarta.

Local police said electricity and communications across the city were knocked out.

Shortly before the quake, the nearby Mount Merapi volcano sent out a cloud of hot gas and ash. It was not immediately clear if the volcanic activity and the earthquake were linked

I know it could just be coincidence but if I were anywhere near that volcano, I would get the heck out of Dodge!!!!!!!

Just sounds like bad news is going to follow. First volcano awakens, then a decent size earthquake in the region. What's next.

How close was the epicenter from the Volcano?

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
AP is reported over Two Hundred Dead now

Strong Earthquake Kills 211 in Indonesia

there was also a 4.8 aftershock
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I think anyone killed by an earthquake is weak because how can you die from an earthquake unless you wanted to die so I say that they all wanted to die.

I feel bad that this earthquake happened so peacefull there.

[edit on 27-5-2006 by Hawaii_boy]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I find the above post from Hawaii boy offensive and hurtful to individuals who have been killed or injured as a result of an earthquake or for that matter any natural disaster.

I personally think you're ignorant and should probably read up on the subject.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by owner
I find the above post from Hawaii boy offensive and hurtful to individuals who have been killed or injured as a result of an earthquake or for that matter any natural disaster.

I personally think you're ignorant and should probably read up on the subject.
Well I was not offensive or downsizing anyone.

All im saying is how can anyone die from an earthquake.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I think anyone killed by an earthquake is weak because how can you die from an earthquake

That's some thinkin' alright (no, but actually it's nonsense).
Earthquakes kill people two ways (for the most part), falling debris and ruptured gas lines. If you're standing out in the open, and an earthquake strikes, you'll be fine unless you're unlucky enough to have a crack open up under your feet.

unless you wanted to die so I say that they all wanted to die.

Nonsense. What on earth would make you want to say a thing like that? Furthermore, what would make you actually say a thing like that? I have some theories, but I don't think you'll like them...

It's not peaceful, are we talking about the same place? They've got tidal waves, earthquakes, and volcanoes, not to mention typhoons and cyclones.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Let them all rest in peace for the ones who go to heaven.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawaii_boy
I think anyone killed by an earthquake is weak because how can you die from an earthquake unless you wanted to die so I say that they all wanted to die.

You reeeaaaalllly need to open up a couple of geology books. Have you never seen ANYTHING of the devestation an earthquake can do? For instance, is this picture of an earthquake aftermath or the aftermath of a bomb?
www.hq.usace.army.mil...

NN

CX

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawaii_boy

I can't believe you posted that! Considering "Deny Ignorance" is one of the most commonly used phrases on this site, i do find my finger hovering over my ignore button right now!.

News agencies now stating that over a thousand are dead and the death toll is rapidly rising.

today.reuters.co.uk...

CX.

[edit on 27/5/06 by CX]

[edit on 27/5/06 by CX]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The death toll is over 2,500 now

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link