It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sukuriju

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Anyone heard of the Sukuriju? Its supposedly a 100-200ft anaconda in the amazon basis. The biggest snake I know of today is the Reticulated python. Could the Sukuriju exist? This one guy from England led an expedition in the 1800 and said he shot one. Recently natives said that one was shot down by a machine gun. I don't know, really. Be nice to hear all of yo opinions!

[edited title from 'tha' to 'the' -nygdan]

[edit on 22-5-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The Brittish guy's name is Colonel Percy Fawcet. When He returned to England from his expedition, people rediculed him because of his story. Then he returned to the amazon on a second expedition. He was never seen again.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
www.cryptozoology.net...

www.trueauthority.com...

Here are my links. By the way, I made a mistake: Colonel Fawcett made his expeditions in the 1900s, not the 1800s. Sorry.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Anacondas can grow very, very large, if they have a good food supply. They're top predator, as far as I know, they don't share territory with saltwater crocs, just caymans (mmm..crunchy treats) and fish, basically. It's like a buffet. The potential ceiling on their weight is quite high, because they're mostly aquatic. As far as length...

Would it stand to reason that a 200 foot long anaconda would be better adapted to survive in the Amazon? I don't think so...

Something is telling me that there is a practical upper limit on length, past which point (probably 40 feet or so) no snake can feasibly expect to kill enough to support its energy needs. The simple act of digestion is probably a chore for a snake that big, imagine trying to squeeze a hairy, toothy bush big through 100 feet of intestine, and still retain enough energy from the meal to go find another one right away. Pretty hard to do, I'd imagine.

Given the right conditions I have no doubt a hundred foot long snake could emerge, could be that they already have, perhaps in an ocean environment with more room to stretch out.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The last time I checked the largest snake was the reticulated python. I read in a book once that a snake could not grow more then 50 ft because then it wouldn't be able to support its weight or move. I heard about a 49ft reticulated python found in Indoneisia , but someone told me it was a fake, I don't know. I didn't see the FAKE part in the article I read about it.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Lil kids have been found inside the stomaches of Reticulated pythons, but never grown man. There have been legends, though, of grown man being eaten. I've heard about grown man being killed, but not eaten.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The weight limitation would be nullified if the snake was aquatic, which is why I'm thinking the ocean would be the more likely environment for a snake that big. Maybe a snake could get that big in a flooded river basin, but the Amazon isn't like that year round.

Edit: Just read your last post. Wanted to add this, sometimes snake bites man, sometimes man bites snake. The will to survive is a powerful thing. I read somewhere (and now I can't find it) about a man who was attacked by a giant constrictor, and nearly killed, but he managed to kill the thing by biting it to death (severed its spine after a bit of gnawing and scale-spitting I imagine). It had his arms pinned, so he just bit the bastard! And how about the story of that guy who punched the charging panther in the mouth and grabbed it by the tongue? Or the other guy who killed a bear with a swiss army knife?

There's a reason we occupy the top of the food chain man, we can be mean when we want to be.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Absolutely correct!!!!!
I couldn't agree with you more, because I, myself am training to do just that! My objective is be able to kill a lion empty handed!
Of course, that will be no use when some Chechen rebel shoots me with an AK-47.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This thread has taken a very weird turn, I have to say.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
HAHHAHAHHAHA! Ok, back on topic: I am surprised that 33 ft pythons can't eat a man as I know they eat whole Gazelles
and they do kill adult males once in a while, but why don't they eat them? Is it cuz we got garlic breath? Seriously, I'd like to know.

The sukuriju was once gunned down, but by the time scientists came to examine the body, it decomposed. Ironic,eh?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I don't think any snake could grow that big. Mainly because it would have to be constantly eating which is impossible for snakes to do.

When they eat they swallow, digest, and regurgitate. All seperately. It can't swallow and digest at the same time. It must remain motionless while digesting after which it regurgitates bones, fur, scales etc. It also cannot eat while it is regurgitating as the food is travelling up the same passage as food is supposed to go down.

Another reason would be that no matter how fast something like that would be, (and if it was an anaconda it would be pretty slow anyway because it would be too wide as well as long to move quickly), any potential prey would see it coming. If it was in a jungle it wouldn't be able to climb trees, when passing through the brush it would cause too much commotion among other animals who can see it, on the plains it would just be a long green line slowly approaching you, and in the water it would be far less manouverable than its food.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
the Col. Fawcett story is the most interesting ,

1 - why would he lie ?? - its possible that great white idiots would have found and killed the biggest exaple ever seen in modern times .

several records set by victorian hunters have never been bettered even 150 years later

2 - why would he make up inmplausible dimensions , one assumes he had seen many anaconda and python in his previous travels -- and could " scale" the sizes correctly if he was fabricating it

also his comment about it being starved shows he knew @ the time that its girth was smaller than expected

lastly -- he had no tape measure -- and the snake was 2/3rds on liand , 1/3rd in water , so compounding errors -- the actuall snake could have been " only " 45 feet

just a few half baked thoughts YMMV

but lastly -- the 100 feet plus claims are pure fantasy
there have been a few hoaxes about giant snakes attacking helicopters and other such idiocy , all total bunk

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This site claims the largest was indeed the reticulated python

www.reptilerooms.com...

It has an image of the snake and says its still living and that the measurement of 49ft hasn’t been confirmed.

www.mg.co.za...

This site ^ claims the snake to be 48 feet (or 14.85 m) by the local government. It also says that the Guinness Book of World Records claims the longest to be only 32ft long and the heaviest to be 182,76 kg (or 402 lbs.) I don’t know which to belive.

But back to the original question. As far as a snake growing to be 100-200 feet long? I don’t know, it sounds a little farfetched, Just to give a little visual representation. On this page it shows a 200 ft tall radio tower. That’s pretty big. The sit below it shows a 100 ft radio tower. That’s pretty big too. The third page shows a 200 ft roller coaster.

www.w8ji.com...

www.its.bldrdoc.gov...

www.eng.buffalo.edu...

50 feet is still pretty big but more believable (50 foot tower)

www.co.iredell.nc.us...

So unless some photo evidence comes around, it’s going to be really hard to convince me of a 100-200 foot snake. I think you miss-spelled Sukuriju, its suppose to be The Sucuriju, and that name simply refers to the reticulated python.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by spaceman16]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I can't see a snake growing any larger than 50 ft max. It just doesn't make sense. There would be no need to grow that large and the ones that do grow very large are products of their environment. If there is abundant and easily taken prey a snake will only eat what it needs to live on and nothing more.

When I lived in South Florida I remember a snake was removed from under a house. A giant python I know was at least 15 ft maybe longer, I can't find the story. It lived on whatever unfortunately went under the porch. So it didn't really have to move much or exert all that much energy.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I myself find it hard to believe but maybe there is something out there....something big..........I don't thinks so but who knows. Maybe its like 55ft, not 100ft. WOW, come to think of it, if there was a Sukuriju, it would be THE BIGGEST ANIMAL! And that makes its existance less believable. But then again, who knows? The Amazon is pretty big. Who knows what's out there.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Would this be the one? Its old but its large.

Think this one has been debunked though.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Looks real, but we can't tell how big it is-nothing to measure it against-it could be 10ft or 40ft, we can't tell. They should've at least had a human standing nearby. Looks to me like the Green Anaconda. Maybe it isnt.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
What does debunked mean? Sorry I don't have the best English, though its really good.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Basically it means it was torn apart by people not unlike ATSers and found to be a fake.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It looks like it's floating on top of the water, you can see part of the underside of it. Surely if it was actually swimming only a small part of the body would be visible.

Here's a snake related link for you of a snake that's eaten a hippo. Apparently. It's damn weird!

Hmmmm

<<   2  3 >>

join