It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My ATS Account just got hacked

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Yes you can remove but can't change it with the same address. They can change it in our profiles but simple to change back. I had no avatar this time before this happened so it really doesn't matter if you remove it. I don't see avitars most of the time because I use an android tablet and phone.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Midnight.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I just got hacked and don't use Firefox, so my theory is debunked.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just got hacked as well....

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I am confused as to why you can not change your password , though , FCD?

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz
Just got hacked as well....

quotes still work....

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Gonna re-post this as a summary of the previous nights' event. I witnessed this happen 100% and in real time. But suffice to say no one has any real answers, just a collection of observations at this point.

Any members who get paintballed with the new avatar can change it back, but it's just a band-aid...Me and others have had to change our avatars a dozen times while the Troll is active.

originally posted by: AlroyFarms
a reply to: AdultMaleHumanUK

If you want my assessment, I'd say it was some harmless trolling. They didn't post anything over the top or nasty. If you read through this thread you'll notice there was some lighthearted sharing of our account changes and updates happening in real time.

They didn't seem to target anyone based on stats or political leanings etc. They seemed to just start with currently online members, then used this thread as a flytrap to mess with anybody new posting in this thread. I then noticed they went down the recent threads list and started altering offline members. No rhyme or reason other than who was a convenient bystander.

The only thing I've seen so far has been alterations to avatar, signature line, and profile details. No actual posts were edited to misrepresent anyone. However, there is now an ad on the homepage? Which I don't think has been there for years. So something got rolled back...

My PC didn't detect anything malicious, nor does my email account tied to this site appear to be compromised. Recall though a few members did mention ATS was eating up their CPU a few days ago? Related or not I don't know.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of the signature line updates did say they were accessing the admin account and were just playing around before "pulling the plug." You can see this on WeMustCare's signature line:

Let's face it, the site is a security risk full of vulnerabilities and there is no ownership or support stepping in. Remember, the mods that are around are totally voluntary and have little ability to do much but continue to volunteer their time to moderating the site.

It seemed like harmless pranking so far, but that remains to be seen...there was a period of about 10 minutes where nothing was loading at all. I assumed it was a DDOS attack or something, as cloudflare said ATS was down.

Remember, consider all your information you post on this site possibly compromised. Private Messages are not private, as the troll used me to demonstrate earlier.

Be cautious and safe! As my most recent signature alteration has been made to say, the troll may just be getting started.

Oh, and if any stragglers are interested, here is a permanent working link to the Official ATS Discord Server "The Phantom Zone."

discord.gg...

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Thanks. Can't seem to delete it!

On desktops, make sure you're hitting the 'submit' button to apply any changes. clear the link in the field or replace it with your own uploaded image etc. Click submit. Be aware many of us had to change it a dozen times while the troll was active.

edit on 1-10-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

The email system won't send you the new password. It's "broken". 🔐

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You can change your password in settings
No need for email
I guess if the admin is compromised though it wont make a difference

EDIT - and just now hacked.
I guess thats it for this site
edit on 1-10-2024 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FullHeathen
a reply to: RazorV66

Try using the function in the IMAGES upload dropdown.

This fix worked for me after 100 attempts to change it on the account page.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I think you can change your own password. I believe DBCowboy had success with that early on during the event. Mods can't reset your password if you lose or forget it.

I'm not sure how successful changing your password is going to be as a defense though.

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: cocnutcrab883

I'm not afraid of the Danger Zone, are you cocnutcrab883?

Everyone okay? Welfare check? Anybody been harmed yet?

edit on 2-10-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I think you can change your own password. I believe DBCowboy had success with that early on during the event. Mods can't reset your password if you lose or forget it.

I'm not sure how successful changing your password is going to be as a defense though.

I believe changing passwords won't make any difference. In my opinion, the hacks weren't at a profile level (like what you or I would do to change an avatar), but directly in the database... cleaner and faster, and for which one would only need admin access to the backend.

edit on 2/10/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AlroyFarms

Everyone okay? Welfare check? Anybody been harmed yet?

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CarlLaFong
So...who, here, who got the Hammer and sickle treatment...ALSO got a "personal Invite" from a fellow member in their PM?

I did, the ANTI Communist like me did too it seems.

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Since we're on the subject of avatars, remind me where you got yours. I lost the link you shared a while back and mine is due for an upgrade.

originally posted by: Encia22

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Since we're on the subject of avatars, remind me where you got yours. I lost the link you shared a while back and mine is due for an upgrade.

Give me a day, it's on my work PC.

Ok, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I found it on Pinterest --> it.pinterest.com...

There are hundreds to choose from various members, but If you're just interested in the original I used, then here it is...

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 06:01 AM
link   
What I find odd is that my account/avatar was changed yesterday after all the chaos, so they came back and did mine?? Was anyone else changed yesterday? I wasn't active either when it happened as most have been??
edit on k000000Wed, 02 Oct 2024 06:02:39 -05002024kam6America/Chicago by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
What I find odd is that my account/avatar was changed yesterday after all the chaos, so they came back and did mine?? Was anyone else changed yesterday?

Yes, but not many, though. If you go back to page 16, UpIsNowDown2 was hacked...

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
What I find odd is that my account/avatar was changed yesterday after all the chaos, so they came back and did mine?? Was anyone else changed yesterday? I wasn't active either when it happened as most have been??

Yes, I think Chr0naut got hit as well. Might have been a couple others. Has been quiet for a while though.

Many of us got the treatment several times. I'm still standing.

Seems no harm was done, other than to our collective pride. But who knows what's around the bend..

posted on Oct, 2 2024 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22
I believe changing passwords won't make any difference. In my opinion, the hacks weren't at a profile level (like what you or I would do to change an avatar), but directly in the database... cleaner and faster, and for which one would only need admin access to the backend.

I disagree, as all the changes that were made were things that can be changed on the "account" page.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join