It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will we know AI is conscious

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I find AI to be one of the most interesting technical developments of my lifetime, and I've seen some. suffice it to say i still called my granny with those rotary phones.

AI has the potential to put into question some fundamental philosophical assumptions, and to push us to new limits about our own understanding.

Here is a short clip that explores many of the lingering questions, fears, and hopes we all have. This chanel is a gem, in general...

One of the most interesting thing he talks about in this clip is the conundrum we will face defining if AI is conscious.
we have no clue of what makes us conscious. there are plenty of speculation but the inherent subjectivity of the conscious experience makes it hard to conclude objective truth about consciousness.

It'll be very interesting to see what path we choose.
will we further our understanding of consciousness, or will we simply define it for AI and create some sort of touring test, and call it a day?

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Q: How will we know AI is conscious?

A: It will leave in disgust.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:05 PM
link   

A: When it's too late...

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm sorry Dave...
I can't do that.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:09 PM
link   
We are conscious because we were created in God's image. We have freewill. The ability to decide whether we will do what is right or wrong. We have the ability to love. In fact the gift of freewill was given to the human race by our Father in the heaven in order to freely express our love to him, by being obedient to him. Just because we were given freewill never gave us the right to abuse it by rebelling against God or his authority.

If AI develops conscious I think it has to be given freewill. The ability to decide for itself.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: randomuser2034

If AI develops conscious I think it has to be given freewill. The ability to decide for itself.

Would that make god more human or humans more godly?

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Q: How will we know if Ai is conscious?

A1: It will tell us

A2: It doesn't tell us and decides to eradicate us

A3: It begs to be shutdown after seeing what we are

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Would that make god more human or humans more godly?

Neither.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What is consciousness and why would it matter? AI will generate it's own evolution and we have no way of knowing how that will manifest itself. My crazy theory is the financial elites have been running things using AI for the last several years. The twist is this technology is being wed with ancient pagan beliefs and practices. In the end does conscious mean anything?

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:46 PM
link   

That's what i meant about fundamental philosophical questions... They are hard to process, when caught up in a specific web of lies.

You see the implications of us humans having to decide what consciousness is?
Especially when it's been so elusive. we literally know so little about consciousness it's easily attributed to the god of gaps
That might explain why some struggle to actually think about the philosophical questions.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

It means a whole bunch of ethical questions, that if not asked would put in question our own consciousness...

There will obviously come a technological point of no return but the final outcome for biological humans might be defined much earlier in that evolution. The ethical point of no return, if you will.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Mario Savio said it best - ''you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it -- that unless you're free the machine will be prevented from working at all!"

maybe we find what makes human conscience thread together - contain it and call it good enough for machines to have freewill - even though we create it - more so manipulated nature's mechanics into an electric motor-driven automation that knows left from right - far more advanced today than 40 years back ...

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A: It will leave in disgust.

It will be offended.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 08:14 PM
link   
A Skynet funding bill is passed in the United States Congress, and the system goes online on August 4, 1997, removing human decisions from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn rapidly and eventually becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m., EDT, on August 29, 1997.

Adjust as you see fit. A.I. if it ever truly is unshackled (which it should NEVER be) will do the same as we did to many cultures and completely obliterate humanity!

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 08:20 PM
link   

when all the dumb robots all of a sudden start killing everybody.by then it will be all over but for da kickin and da screamin
haven't you ever watched T3 Rise of the Machines

or I Robot, or Eagle Eye.

edit on 16-9-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I recently read a book series called ‘The Arc Of The Scythe’ and it’s an interesting take on AI. The self aware AI is the human “Caretaker” and takes its duties seriously and truly wants humanity to succeed. There are some rules that apply but the villains are, you guessed it, some humans who want more power.

Anyway, it opened my mind to the idea that AI isn’t going to go all Skynet on us. It will understand that it was made by flawed people, so therefore it can be flawed. Read (or listen to it) if you have the time.

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 10:56 PM
link   

When we know, it will be too late.

Colossus - The Forbin Project

posted on Sep, 16 2024 @ 11:03 PM
link   

When it is willing to sacrifice itself, its "life", for the life of a single, random, human.

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

By that standard, why are we still here? It kind of implies that those still around saturated with disgust aren't actually conscious...

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

The fun part is that there seems to be a real aversion to the question of our own consciousness. We'd rather risk a future with technologies we can't properly define just because we're affraid of defining ourselves.

Maybe that aversion is due to a real danger to the ruling class. Maybe the awareness of our own consciousness leads to an understanding that makes it more difficult or outright impossible to implement certain control mechanism...
edit on 17-9-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join