It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC passes reparations bill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: network dude

Again... the hyperbole. Why are you so sensationalist?

No one is removing history. They're removing eye sores.
lol.

Again.

LOL

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyAmerican

Yea again... where's the paid out reparations to individuals?

Where's the injustice of removing statues of traitors?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

although that is true to a point, the fact still remains that Indentured servitude was not chattel slavery. and those that survived their contract / sentence would be granted freedom. where as most african slaves even in the north where the states started passing laws after the revolution the african slaves weren't immediately freed.

for example, in 1784 Connecticut passed a law that children of slaves would become free when they turned 25.

another example at one point 1/5th of the population of new york city were slaves in 1740.

edit on 13-9-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

although that is true to a point, the fact still remains that Indentured servitude was not chattel slavery. and those that survived their contract / sentence would be granted freedom.

I do agree, but the life of the indentured was worse overall with living conditions, food, health risks, dangerous work etc. There is a moral aspect that you hint about in saying chattel slavery, but if we looked at the quality of life the indentured were screwed.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

legistar.council.nyc.gov...

This part:

"and would coordinate its work with the New York State community commission on reparations remedies and the reparations study to be required by Int. 279-A"

doesn't seem to rule out cash payments does it? 😀

edit on Sep-13-2024 by xuenchen because: ✈️

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Because they're using money to fund the programs and studies. That is the reparations in money form.

They're emulating what was done here in Canada with the truth and reconciliation programs.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Not as bad as an actual slave.

I spent a few years going to to the Caribbean as part of a larger study into the living difference between those who were considered chattel slaves and paid laborers, and indentured servents on sugar plantations.

The findings were as expected, paid laborers and indentured servents basically had the same standard of living, ate the same, lived in the same quarters, only difference is one party got paid, and we're free to live wherever they wanted, the other had to stay put and adhere to the plantation owner. Often times tho the paid workers basically just ended up as indentured servents anyways because they signed a contract.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Isn't this in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Because they're using money to fund the programs and studies. That is the reparations in money form.

They're emulating what was done here in Canada with the truth and reconciliation programs.

So when the “study” is done, are you saying that they won’t have determined a dollar amount?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Not as bad as an actual slave.

I spent a few years going to to the Caribbean as part of a larger study into the living difference between those who were considered chattel slaves and paid laborers, and indentured servents on sugar plantations.

The findings were as expected, paid laborers and indentured servents basically had the same standard of living, ate the same, lived in the same quarters, only difference is one party got paid, and we're free to live wherever they wanted, the other had to stay put and adhere to the plantation owner. Often times tho the paid workers basically just ended up as indentured servents anyways because they signed a contract.

I'm sure in those isolated situations everyone ate the same. One big pot for everyone including the slaves. Back to my point that slaves had worth, the indentured didn't.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Isn't this in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

not sure about the 1964 civil rights act, but there is/ was a law passed prevented the federal government from paying reparations. i don't really remember when it was passed.

you would think that if federal law trumps ( pun intended) state law in some area's they would say something. but then you get into states rights to pass laws in conflict with federal law.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have asked this before and ask again....the 14th amendment.

Section 4

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

If the slave owners could not receive reparations for loss of income for their slaves, I don't see how reparations for blacks is possible.....
edit on R172024-09-13T11:17:24-05:00k179Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Feels like a way to pay off cronies. What I mean is, who is doing the studies and who are they connected to? Government contracts are a lucrative grift. More money funneled away from other areas is all I'm seeing. Which service gets cut for this ego trip? They cannot afford all of the illegals now, where do they think this money is coming from? Politicians and citizens both! Mind you this is even before any remedies they recommend are laid out. This is a new thing without any pre-existing departments or infrastructure.
edit on 13-9-2024 by hangedman13 because: Spacing

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Does this actually do anything beyond putting informational signs up at significant slavery related locations in New York? The article was pretty vague about what this actually does other than put the signs up and establish some "task force".

I think its just lip service to pretend they're doing something. Not that I support reparations but if all they're doing is putting up informational signs then...........whatever. lesson is some people are very gullible.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Where is that specifically indicated? ❓

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 12:20 PM
link   
wrong tab.
edit on 13-9-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Racially motivated stimulus check that does absolutely nothing to fix the cost of living and income disparity the same people who benefit from this handout will be complaining 6 months from now that they are still broke because the value of the dollars decreasing while the cost of goods is increasing and tragically those benefits will impact their taxes along with everyone else.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Evidence that was found suggests only slaves fed from communal pots and such. The laborers and servents most definitely ate a lot better and used English made table wear and drank lots of alcohol.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Will this include 'reparations' for all whites because of the Barbary slave trade ?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join