It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC passes reparations bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 05:49 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

New York City will soon be the largest city in the United States to enact a reparations program.

Councilmembers Crystal Hudson and Farah Louis sponsored a pair of bills to establish a Truth, Healing and Reconciliation Commission and a reparations task force. Both bills passed on Thursday and will be effective immediately.

"Today, the New York City Council voted to pass legislation establishing municipal efforts to acknowledge and address the legacy and impact of slavery and racial injustices in New York City," the New York City council announced in a press release. "The package of legislation would establish a Truth, Healing and Reconciliation process on slavery within New York City (which had one of the highest rates of slave ownership in the country in the 1700s), a reparations study, informational signs at the City’s first slave market, and a taskforce to consider the creation of a 'freedom trail' commemorating abolitionist movement and Underground Railroad sites."

So here it is. Reparations! Free money (I suppose) to all those who were slaves, or descendants of slaves. So what might this accomplish? Does this make everything right again? Wipe the slate clean, and never have to hear about racial animosity ever again? Not likely, as racism still exists, and in my tiny mind, this will only fuel more racism.

As nobody alive was a slave or owned slaves, the entire point of this seems to just be a grift. Nothing changes, but some folks get some cash. And those who have to pay that cash will be upset. Perhaps there is a good reason for this, and I'm just missing it. Maybe I'm raycist for not embracing this. Maybe everyone will be super happy to pay for their ancestors sins. But maybe, this is pandora's box and maybe it shouldn't be opened. Too late. Now we can find out together.

FAFO.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 05:55 AM
link   
"Where does that money come from", and "how do I get mine"? Those will be the two biggest questions from the two sides.

I wonder if Harlem will vote Dem again after that? Well, they better if they want free money.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Does that include everyone? Because literally every one who has ancestors, are decended from people who have at one time been enslaved, even if by own people.

So, who does that nullify the bill or grant this to all?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADVISOR

Does that include everyone? Because literally every one who has ancestors, are decended from people who have at one time been enslaved, even if by own people.

So, who does that nullify the bill or grant this to all?

If you break it down like that, then everyone can give everyone else $10. But I don't think that is what they had in mind. This is only for those who fit into a very tight window in time. All the talk about how slaves came to be slaves and all those who were enslaved before the 1619 time frame should shush up. And anyone with lower melanin amounts should also just hush up. We don't need to muddy the waters up any.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
"Where does that money come from", and "how do I get mine"? Those will be the two biggest questions from the two sides.

I wonder if Harlem will vote Dem again after that? Well, they better if they want free money.

the money comes from the pot. The big money pot. The same one Harris will use to give home buyers 25K, and babies 6K. It's likely more of a printing machine, but it's cool to refer to it as a "pot", so it makes it easier to digest.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:38 AM
link   

The problem with giving people free money is that it gets spent and then they want more. It won't be used to take some college classes, move to a better neighborhood or invested. It will be used for clothes, jewelry, a new washer and dryer and that'll help the local economy for a little while, but then it's gone and they'll say it wasn't enough, we need more.

If they really wanted to help, how about offering free college tuition or send those who are interested to a good Trade school where they'd learn to weld, carpentry, electrician, brick layer or any number of jobs. Hell there are millions of jobs in the Trades available right now. Give them a REAL chance at getting out from under, instead of a one time bribe.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Agreed, the people passing bills like this have obviously never read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"......

If you give a freeloader a blank check, they will keep adding zeroes until they run out of ink and ask for another pen.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I put this in the category of..."Watch out what ya' wish for!!!!"

Personally, I just can't wait to see everyone line up with their hand out!! How do you prove it one way or the other? DNA test? Okay, then what? What happens when an illegal alien shows up with their hand out? Are convicted murderers and rapists also entitled to their fair share? What about white people who are descendants of slaves, do they get some too, or is it only black people? What about bi-racial, 30%, 20%, 5%...0.0000000000001%, do they all get their money too?

And then the lawsuits, oh the tens of millions of lawsuits tying up every court. I can just hear it now..."We are experiencing unusually heavy call volumes. Your call is very important to us. Please stay on the line. You are number 347,958 in line. (music plays)

Oh, it's gonna' be great! And I couldn't wish it on a better state than NY (well, maybe Kalifornia).

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Good for the young, not very good for the old, like how is a new college degree going to help a 60 year old, or trade school for that matter they’d rather have a new toy.

Eliminate all free handouts, it doesn’t work.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

I see it as a bribe and another effort to keep Black people attached to the government teat. "Vote Democrat if you want more free stuff !!"

The sad fact is if you were standing on a street corner with $10,000 in one hand and a sign saying Opportunity For A Better Life in the other, 99% of the population would take the money.

Most people think short term gain.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 06:59 AM
link   

The Democrat Party was the party of Slavery and the KKK.
Will the DNC be tapped for this money?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:00 AM
link   
""Congratulations!! You qualify for compensation under the US Slavery Reparations Bill! The pro-rata (per person) Reparations amounts have been calculated to be $0.12. You will be receiving your certified check shortly. Thank you for your service. Oh, and we're sorry...(even though we know for a fact that you were never injured by slavery, that you had to race to the library to look up what the word "Slavery" even meant, and then spent months figuring out who your descendants 'might' have been whom you never even knew the names of, so you too could get some "cheddah"...all when you found out there might be some money in it for your ass!")

edit on 9/13/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

Good for the young, not very good for the old, like how is a new college degree going to help a 60 year old, or trade school for that matter they’d rather have a new toy.

Eliminate all free handouts, it doesn’t work.

it will be different this time.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:05 AM
link   
So did I miss something? What money are they giving people? Sounds like they set up a feel good commission to get to the bottom of racism in NYC that could make recommendations for future legislation.

Didn't California do this a few years back and when they saw the price tag on the recommendation they took a hard pass?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

Yes, and I suspect NY will do the same.

Unlike the federal government, the States can't just print money to pay a bill.

When you really have to worry is when the federal nutjobs come up with some crazy plan like this.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   

good maybe they'll go broke, raise taxes and all the business's move out, followed by all the employees and residents, and wind up looking like Detroit. couldn't happen to a more deserving city who keep on voting idiots in.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

the term "reparation" has to do with making the injustice right by paying them or giving them a benefit.

rep·a·ra·tion
/ˌrepəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.
"the courts required a convicted offender to make financial reparation to his victim"

I have not heard of the compensation package yet.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   
All this 'free' money to illegals and all this 'free' money to black people ... paid for by the taxpayer ... all the while NYC is dirty, full of pollution, is crime infested, and is going broke. I'm glad that I don't live there.
edit on 9/13/2024 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I'm sure glad I already took all my slaves and moved out of NYC.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Don't spoil the surprise. It's best if it's a shocker.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join