It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC passes reparations bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm confused why nobody is talking about how this will fuel massive backlash against those who would get reparations. You only need to look at real life for a second. have a group of workers who all have the same job and title, then give one of them more money because he/she does better work, if the others find out, they all get pissed and treat the "golden child" like dog sh!t. This will be that on steroids.

MLK has left the chat.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

"...this will only fuel more racism."
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And don't think that's an unintended consequence.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:48 AM
link   

It looks like they're enacting the same thing they did here in Canada with native history and such... where does it mention monetary reparations to individuals?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:51 AM
link   

The Union is paying reparations?!? Hahahahahahaha
The north never had slaves. This is stupid on so many levels.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

It looks like they're enacting the same thing they did here in Canada with native history and such... where does it mention monetary reparations to individuals?

so far, no mention of cash, but what does the word reparations mean? I looked it up. Did you?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

"...this will only fuel more racism."
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And don't think that's an unintended consequence.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

how could it not be? Unless those who pushed this are ignorant of common sense.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Look at the Rich people flying in on there private jets, the poor people watching them drive to there luxury lake home. Or the rich farmer with poor farm workers.

Just saying, if none of the have-nots have retaliated, and nobody has raised up to the student loan debt relief, or people only using bad words for people on welfare, etc etc. nothing is going to happen.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

good maybe they'll go broke, raise taxes and all the business's move out, followed by all the employees and residents, and wind up looking like Detroit. couldn't happen to a more deserving city who keep on voting idiots in.

IF NY weren't such a strategic location, that would make a lot of practical sense.

That is like New Orleans with the Hudson coming out and all the commerce related. Someone will be shipping from there for a long time.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Have you?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

Look at the Rich people flying in on there private jets, the poor people watching them drive to there luxury lake home. Or the rich farmer with poor farm workers.

Just saying, if none of the have-nots have retaliated, and nobody has raised up to the student loan debt relief, or people only using bad words for people on welfare, etc etc. nothing is going to happen.

I doubt folks will "rise up", but they likely will be "pissed off" and the direction of that anger will be in one direction.
if the goal was to unite us into one common mass, this will do the opposite.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I'm confused why nobody is talking about how this will fuel massive backlash against those who would get reparations.

No there won't. Because the Democrats will shame anyone who complains about it claiming that they are racists and inhumane ... blah blah blah. The usual crap they pull when people say they disagree with Democrat ideology and policy.

link   
This is a brilliant way to grow the liberal base! It's worked quite well for Native Americans.

I wonder if they'll end up getting their very own reservations? Will the program eventually be expanded to include 100% free medical coverage, government housing assistance, monthly monetary stipen along with gov. commodities (best cheese ever!) and 100% tax free living?

Kamal-a's ancestors owned Irish slaves; I wonder if she feels quilty enough to throw some cash at those of Irish lineage?

link   

Have you?

I can even link you to the post.

I'm here to help.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Myhandle
The north never had slaves. This is stupid on so many levels.

And the North sent it's people to fight against slavery ... being wounded, losing limbs, breaking families apart, and a whole lotta' people being dead ... The North already paid for something they didn't participate in.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yeah, and just look at how well that all worked out!

The native tribes now own a part of practically everything. Consequently, ownership responsibility can't be traced back to any one single entity, and so therefore neither can liability. Oh, and you can't sue the native tribes anyway.

YAY, no accountability...once again! Everyone is free to do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't involve firearms), and nobody gets held accountable. It's...(liberal) UTOPIA!

That was a real peach...just like your healthcare system.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What?

Native populations here bought crown land with their own money. No one gave anything except what they were owed from old treaties after the Indian act.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Reparations don't need to be a cash pay out to a group of people or individuals. They're putting Reparations into programs and studies that will properly represent black history.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Reparations don't need to be a cash pay out to a group of people or individuals. They're putting Reparations into programs and studies that will properly represent black history.

are you sure?

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City lawmakers approved legislation Thursday to study the city’s significant role in slavery and consider reparations to descendants of enslaved people.

If signed into law, the package of bills passed by the City Council would follow in the footsteps of several other municipalities across the U.S. that have sought ways to address the country’s dark history, as well as a separate New York state commission that began working this year.

apnews.com...

they are looking into what needs to be done to "fix" things. Do you have a link explaining that NYC has no intention of paying folks for reparation's?
edit on 13-9-2024 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Meanwhile the COLA for Elderly/Disabled is what.....$20?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I wonder what reparations the Canadians are going to give to their slave descendants? Certainly the British overlords of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries had slaves and we all know the blacks who were living under their thumb had to move to a warmer climate after being released. I bet NY is where those Canadian slaves moved. Maybe NYC can reach out to Canada for a little help?
edit on 13000000573020249America/Chicago09am9 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join