It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biscuits and Gravy is DA BOMB!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I’m definitely going to get this dish cranking.

Thank you for the brands to hunt down 👍

a reply to: Justoneman

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Going to have to watch the second one again and get the recipe off of it. It is similar to the homemade red lobster biscuit recipe we use that the wife got off the internet as a hack, but that recipe has baking powder or baking soda and flour in it instead of self rising flour which we do not stock.

Commented on a post on another thread about this subject too.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Jimmy Dean, will do and thank you.

a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Lacking pork sausge, sometimes i make the gravy with very finely chopped bacon, as well. Not quite the same as a good loose sausage, but not bad, either. Bacon is never bad!

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Going to have to watch the second one again and get the recipe off of it. It is similar to the homemade red lobster biscuit recipe we use that the wife got off the internet as a hack, but that recipe has baking powder or baking soda and flour in it instead of self rising flour which we do not stock.

Commented on a post on another thread about this subject too.

HOLD THE PRESS!!!!

You do NOT need self-rising flour. You can use a baking powder recipe.

Matter of fact, we don't even keep self-rising flour in our home. Use the baking powder recipe. It's literally the same thing! Self-rising flour is pretty much just all-purpose flour with the baking powder mixed in. (I never understood the point, as it´s easy enough to add my baking powder.

I will say that you have to make sure to mix it well, and I sift two or three times.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So, in short, for those who want to try this:

1. For sausage, if you cannot find a good loose sausage where you live, get some fatty ground pork and look for recipes for "Jimmy Dean Style sausage." I also, on occasion, use finely chopped bacon if I don't have sausage on hand. Not quite the same, but bacon is always good.
2. You don't need "self-rising flour." We never use it. I don't let it in my house. I make biscuit gravy, red eye gravy, gumbo, etc. too often and self-rising would mess that up if I got it confused. We add our own baking powder. It's essentially the same thing. Just mix well and sift at least twice.
3. I didn't watch all the recipe video, but I recommend heating up your milk before your add it to your flour mix. Helps avoid lumps and keeps it from curdling.

:

edit on 2024 9 4 by AwakeNotWoke because: I could.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 01:41 AM
link   

LOL,
That poor soul was me.

Biscuits to us are Oreo's, chocolate digestives. Not crackers.

So to read 'biscuits and gravy" was kinda repulsive as you can imagine why.
But thanks for the videos, i'll check them out when i get home from work later.

Always up for some new type food

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 05:58 AM
link   

That meal was a great way to start the day in the military.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 06:54 AM
link   
As an apostle of the church of bacon I completely approve of this measure and am willing to use bacon in all it’s marvellous variations 👍

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 07:27 AM
link   

We have a few stores here that make their own pork sausage and cudighi. The one store makes both very tasty, but because a lot of older people shop there and buy it, they don't add enough salt. The butcher told me that people can add more salt to taste with both of those...I personally feel that adding salt when cooking is better anyway for stuff like that, the wife likes less salt than I do, so I spice the patties seperately. She gets her salt from the relish, ketchup, and cheese, I just put onions on my burgers and sausage sandwiches.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Jimmy Dean, will do and thank you.

Jimmy Dean sage sausage is bomb for B&G

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Making the sausage gravy in a pan you just used to cook bacon is even better

edit on 4-9-2024 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: Moon68

Making the sausage gravy in a pan you just used to cook bacon is even better

This is true. Sausage cooked in bacon grease is fatboy fantasyland.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I had to laugh a little bit at the first video. Much love to my Brit brothers and sisters, but y'all don't have much room to be so reticent about food. You're good at a lot of things, but cooking and food definitely ain't one of them! Sorry! LOL!

Even more ironic (to me anyway) is, Brits in my experience seem to love gravy on, well...everything,... so I can't imagine why these guys would be so puzzled about "biscuits" (not cookies or crackers) with gravy on them. As a matter of fact, I can't even think of a British dish which doesn't have gravy or sauce of some kind on it.

I always ribbed my UK buddies that the gravy and sauce was the lubricant required to choke down the awful overcooked food there. Most agreed. LOL! I was kidding of course; not all of it is awful, but quite a bit of it is.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   
To a Brit' a Biscuit is this.....

So the idea of biscuits with gravy just sounds odd, I heard they're almost like Scones?? I have to say just looking at the OP's vid, it looks like something a dog would throw up??
edit on 4-9-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

One of my favorite meals is steak & kidney pie with a good stout. Can't have steak & kidney pie without a solid dark beer.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

That's fine. Just leaves more biscuit and gravy for those of us who know how to appreciate the finer things in life.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I just looked up cudighi. DAYAUM! Gonna have to try that.

:
edit on 2024 9 4 by AwakeNotWoke because: typo.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke

That's fine. Just leaves more biscuit and gravy for those of us who know how to appreciate the finer things in life.

I never said I wouldn't try it, I was commenting on how the correct term for 'biscuit' makes the meal just sound wrong.

english.stackexchange.com...

The Oxford Living Dictionary makes a clear distinction between the usage of biscuit in Britain and North America:

British: A small baked unleavened cake, typically crisp, flat, and sweet. ‘a chocolate biscuit’

North American: A small, soft round cake like a scone.

edit on 4-9-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yeah?

Well, just think about what goes through a Yank's mind when one of you fellows talks about eating spotted dick.

As the saying goes: Two countries separated by a common language.

:
edit on 2024 9 4 by AwakeNotWoke because: typo.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join