It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Talk Reparations .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Let's Talk about Reparations.

Article here

I was reading this article and I noticed that not all of the proposed bill was rejected . Parts of it were considered e.g. Stolen Land being returned and other Racial injustices being remedied which I find to be a common ground most people could agree with .

But nonetheless the Protests in California erupted over the shelving of the Bill …. Why ?

Because no direct Cash Payments in the form of reparations would be made .

In my opinion the idea of Cash Reparations to African Americans is completely laughable . I am just made of questions as to how people expect the Government to accomplish something like Cash Reparations .

Just stop for a moment and think about it ……

“What's the big deal Asabuv ? Just give Black Californians the Money ! “

Okay which Black people ?

How do we determine if a person is Black or Black enough to receive the reparations ?

Does Both your mother and father have to be black for you to be considered black ? Or is it enough for just one Black parent ?

Do we just make every Black person in California take a DNA test and set the Threshold by that ? Let's say we call it 20% is the acceptable amount of Blackness ….

So if your 18 or 19% ? Aww sorry you're not Black enough …. ‘ Next Please ‘ .

Do we pay them upon being born black ? “ Oh here’s a check sorry you were born black “ or do we wait for them to turn 21 ?

Do we pay every black person that is now alive in California ? Or do we also pay every black person that will ever be born in California ?

What if a black person from Ohio moves to California and becomes an official resident of California …. Do they get reparations ?

Is it just African Americans or is it all black people ? Technically Australian Aboriginals are Black so are we just going off Skin color or what ?

Perhaps people in support of reparations can see just how unbelievably Racist it is to even consider reparations….. Or maybe not .

Help me figure this out. ‘ where are my crazy pills

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Help me figure this out. ‘ where are my crazy pills

If you find them could you spare a few? I, too am in need of being medicated (i.e. dumbed down) before this can begin to make any sense.

You brought up some excellent points, which our representatives never thought to ask for some strange reason.
If you run for governor of Cali I'll vote for you! I'm not a resident, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore. Oh! Be sure to run as a liberal so I can vote early and vote often!

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:03 PM
link   

The only reparations anyone deserves is a boat ticket back to their supposed country of origin. Then they can request a refund from the descendent of the people that sold them in the first place. Hopefully they kept the original receipt.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

If you want to be dumbed down without supporting Big Pharma, just watch the MSM news for a few days...

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It would seem that the 14th amendment, section 4 would come into play...

Section 4.

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:18 PM
link   

From what I understand, California never had any legal slaves since it became a state. How are they to pay for something that did not legally exist?

Also, how is it to be determined who is a descendant of a slave? Anyone descending from people coming into America as a free person and anyone arriving after the civil war is not qualified to call themselves slave descendents. How does that work out?

Edit: I am 3/8 native American, what would be my cut in this?
edit on 2-9-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:18 PM
link   

It's California. Do what the Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians did and implement a 1/8 ancestry requirement if they want the monthly payment. Used to be 1/16, but after the capital gains tax became a consideration, they made it more stringent.

Now the serious answer.

How do we determine if a person is Black or Black enough to receive the reparations ?

There's still a largely legitimate (but nowhere near universal) way to tell the likely progeny of an emancipated slave.

After emancipation, many African Americans chose the surnames Freeman or Freedman, or kept surnames that were common before enslavement, such as Washington, Williams, Brown, or Johnson.

So there you go. You need to still have the surname adopted after emancipation.

The Most Popular African-American Names Today
The top five surnames remain Williams, Johnson, Smith, Jones, and Brown. Other popular names include Davis, Jackson, Robinson, Washington, and Harris.

Only the Jeffersons can move on up..
edit on 2-9-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Well, that seems to make the entire question of reparations unconstitutional. I think that settled the discussion.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Does Both your mother and father have to be black for you to be considered black ? Or is it enough for just one Black parent ?

If they're going to do something like that, then let the "Black People" decide. Set up an interest-bearing fund, and appoint or elect fund managers, who decide the rules on who qualifies and for how much with distribution timelines. Also, maybe there could be some cash grants, that have to applied for, but most of it should be in the form of scholarships, small business assistance and homeowners' aid for downpayments, home repairs, etc.

I do think the government owes Black people something for slavery, Jim Crow and segregation, punishing anti-migration laws, red-lining, police and courts abuse like school to prison fast tracking, sip code bail, etc. especially now, since SCOTUS removed affirmative action protections.

edit on 5720242024k24America/Chicago2024-09-02T15:24:57-05:0003pm2024-09-02T15:24:57-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:23 PM
link   
How do you tell me your campaign is on life support without telling me your campaign is on life support?

Again no controversial legislation will pass in such an evenly divided Congress...

Since 76 has there ever been a more abysmal, panicked unprepared incumbent campaign

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I say reparations is a dead end topic. Can I petition the Spanish government for money to be paid for what happened to my ancestors in South America?? Reparations is a #ing retarded endeavor of a con made up by hustlers trying to buy votes any way they can, usually by appealing to modern racists who want to rationalize their own racism.

Just stop giving it any credibility, and it will go away. Primarily if one does their research, because idiots racists have no shame when they share their hatred with friends and family, they will find most calls for reparations originate from racist Americans wanting to justify their own racism and hate.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I want reperations from the romans.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I say reparations is a dead end topic. Can I petition the Spanish government for money to be paid for what happened to my ancestors in South America?? Reparations is a #ing retarded endeavor of a con made up by hustlers trying to buy votes any way they can, usually by appealing to modern racists who want to rationalize their own racism.

Just stop giving it any credibility, and it will go away. Primarily if one does their research, because idiots racists have no shame when they share their hatred with friends and family, they will find most calls for reparations originate from racist Americans wanting to justify their own racism and hate.

This doesn't seem to Stop Democrat Politicians from bringing it up though .

They love to dangle Reparations in front of the Black community .

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Civil Rights activists are ANGRY at Black-Indian KAMALA HARRIS for not verbally supporting REPARATIONS!

Source: www.breitbart.com...

ARE YOU with Kamala on this subject?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

If they're going to do something like that, then let the "Black People" decide. Set up an interest-bearing fund, and appoint or elect fund managers, who decide the rules on who qualifies and for how much with distribution timelines. Also, maybe there could be some cash grants, that have to applied for, but most of it should be in the form of scholarships, small business assistance and homeowners' aid for downpayments, home repairs, etc.

Something along these lines is doable yes ....

but simply leaving it up to the black community to decide who is eligible ? That could go wrong in so many ways .

It could be turned into a straight up criminal enterprise.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I do think the government owes Black people something for slavery, Jim Crow and segregation, punishing anti-migration laws, red-lining, police and courts abuse like school to prison fast tracking, sip code bail, etc. especially now, since SCOTUS removed affirmative action protections.

Why does "the governmnet" owe Black People for slavery? None of us were alive back then. None of us were slaves, nor owned slaves. I do not have the mental capacity to entertain that at some point, "some entity" should become responsible for the acts of another, and even after an entire generation. At what point does it stop?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

It's California. Do what the Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians did and implement a 1/8 ancestry requirement if they want the monthly payment. Used to be 1/16, but after the capital gains tax became a consideration, they made it more stringent.

If that's the case then I'm Black.

I'll be changing my name in short order.

The top five surnames remain Williams, Johnson, Smith, Jones, and Brown. Other popular names include Davis, Jackson, Robinson, Washington, and Harris.

Those are universally common names among all races.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Now the serious answer.

There's still a largely legitimate (but nowhere near universal) way to tell the likely progeny of an emancipated slave.

After emancipation, many African Americans chose the surnames Freeman or Freedman, or kept surnames that were common before enslavement, such as Washington, Williams, Brown, or Johnson.

The Most Popular African-American Names Today

Only the Jeffersons can move on up..

I always read your posts because they almost always make me think differently about a subject.

It's not only how to determine who is eligible(23 and Me would seem helpful even down to the percentages)

determining who was an ancestor will be a little more nuanced than Elizabeth Warren's Native American,
which BTW didn't some Native Americans have slaves and vice versa?

It's also how to pay for it all and the precedent it sets... what's the planned ratio for payouts?

Not to mention having AL Sharpton hold the microphone asking the question to the Madame Vice President came off as semi-disrespectful to the office

edit on p000000309pm096 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:07 PM
link   

They fall into the race baiting hustlers selling a con category.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
a reply to: nugget1

If you want to be dumbed down without supporting Big Pharma, just watch the MSM news for a few days...

I always watch the MS news to see what my liberal friends and family are being fed. The propaganda seems so obvious that I struggle to see how they continually make excuses for a broken system and pass the blame to 'the other party'.

'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me' does not apply to a very many of the folks with a political mindset. They tend to believe what they wantto be true.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join