It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Council tax is an illegal scam

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdultMaleHumanUK
a reply to: Oldcarpy2
Lol, I WAS paying monthly but didn't pay June or July's installments and suddenly a letter demanding the whole year balance "for failing to keep to the payment agreement".

I couldn't be arsed with arguing that by paying in full, I'm effectively paying in advance for services, as the charge is from 1st April to 31st March '25 ...but I couldn't be arsed, lazy lol

...lol about direct debits, I haven't got any, haven't had any for a decade now, I ONLY 'push' payments from my account, and NEVER authorise any system that 'pulls' payment from an account. If I can't buy the product/service under these terms then I find an alternative...been stung by rogue company DD's once in my life, and vowed never again lol

100% with banking apps and faster payments there is really little need for direct debits now.

Why give companies control over taking money out of your bank.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BedevereTheWise

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

a reply to: BedevereTheWise

It's not nonsense, but that doesn't matter because they have plugged most of the recourse and remedies. I studied the topic for years and actually had some successes. There was a time that you could actually look up your bond on Fidelity dot com.

The red numbers on the back of your SS# card could be inputted through a number of steps and you could actually see it trading. That was 2004-ish and my bond was valued at ~$34 million .

I checked it again off and on for a couple of years and then I couldn't do it anymore. The options weren't available to complete the steps. That's when I kinda shelved it all and lost interest.

Anyone pushing this stuff now, is shilling pretty bad because the Sovereign thing sputtered out years ago.

Of course you did.

Many people lose interest in 34 million.

Great argument. Not sure how to respond to such a well organized position. "Of course you did" totally stumped me. Except, have you ever heard of "active listening"?

Yeah, you need to "actively read" what I actually said instead of rushing to dismiss what you obviously don't understand. I didn't lose interest in the money, there simply wasn't a way to access it and, because I like to repeat myself, I couldn't access it anymore through the options the site provided. I think the "bond type" was missing if I recall.

One of the many things all that research taught me is that people don't understand and most times don't give a 💩 about the things they agree to or sign up for.

I can hardly expect those that never read the terms of service and just click agree to take me serious.

Maybe just maybe there was no way to access it because...

You still don't get it. I was able to access it initially but they removed options from the search engine so that I couldn't complete the steps any longer.

Do I need to do this a third time or are you good?

I owned mayfair when playing Monopoly but then someone knocked the board over.

So you're not good. Cool beans.

Enjoy your day!

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The reality seems to be that Britain being run by accountants and lawyers, has ran the place broke, and will increase costs beyond the ability of the consumer to pay for them. The fact that NGO's have infiltrated everything mean also a profit must be made on essential services, which means that those with money in the game can't loose. This essentially means that things will slowly wrap up as the sustainability factor has left the building. It can drag on for a while as the last assets are wrung out of more and more people. But at some stage a Victorian farm life will provide a better and more sustainable living than the present deal. The only way out is to be invisible and live under the radar . How that is to be done is debatable.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: annonentity

The reality is this is a lot of tripe and by hook or crook the lady will be forced to pay council tax just like everyone else.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Kurokage

Sad to say but I was one of those protesters back in the day (all peaceful like too)!!!

I was there too.....and I'm not sad or sorry to say that. 🍻

Not sorry but still sad and also mad as hell as Poll Tax demo was my first experience of police starting a riot.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

A life being forced to pay for stuff without a fair invoice being supplied seems to be a step to far.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Great thread, and you sure have a way of dragging-out the "Everybody on your knees and do whatever the Government tells you to do" crowd. LOL !

Otherwise know as the ATS Turtle-Division, more than half of the replies in this thread.

Shows that you may be onto something ...

OMG !
It's the Government !
Everybody cower !

LOL !!

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 08:05 PM
link   

How do you pay for local services in that utopia called Australia?
I can only assume they come free of charge considering the big deal you're making out of this?

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

We have to pay the rates and electric bill , No real complaints about the rates. The electric bill is getting some scrutiny as it is about 130 dollars a month. The heating is taken care of by a wood burner this years load of firewood is Australian gum its about 130 dollars a ton. A ton or cord lasts the winter. If they keep putting the electricity price up I'll put in a wetback and heat the water, and cook on top of it as well. I also have an old Yacht I did up with solar panels so I could plug the house in to that and run the electronics and lights. I run the power tools off it with no problem. I am in a sort of rural village on a main highway next to the ocean. Plenty of local people selling produce on the roadside and nice local vibe..I actually got this years firewood by swapping a wheelbarrow /cart and two dozen beers for about two tons of wood. I sell the carts up at the Saturday market along with other woodwork type stuff, but at the moment people seem to have run out of money. I did the carts as I thought as a bit of a prepper i should know how at least to make a wooden wheel. If the world went to hell in a handbasket I don't think that I would notice. The water comes off the roof into a large tank if it didn't rain for a year it would hold out ok, I filter or boil for drinking the filters are a couple of large earthenware garden pots adapted so the water diffuses through.

Three laying hens hang around all day and wonder back to the coup when fed in the evenings. They usually have laid their eggs before I let them out in the mornings. So I guess I pay the rates as an act of charity as they look after the public parks around the area but in reality if they stopped doing what they were doing nobody would notice. For transport I have got a Suzuki hn 125 which at the moment I fill up every three months , I bouget enough spares to keep it going for ever . If I want anything I get it off of Temu e bay or aliexpress, and the truck delivers it to the door. Knowing this on line deliverance wont last forever I have made sure I have enough stuff to last a lifetime anyway. I am not rich by any means I just don't have any bills or responsibilities. It isn't everyone's way of life but it beats city living . The council where I am did a check a few years back and counted twice as many dwellings as they were getting rates on. Bare land is cheap , and a tin garage can be made into a pretty nice place if your not too fussy.
edit on pm820248America/Chicago831033124 by annonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: annonentity

The reality seems to be that Britain being run by accountants and lawyers, has ran the place broke, and will increase costs beyond the ability of the consumer to pay for them. The fact that NGO's have infiltrated everything mean also a profit must be made on essential services, which means that those with money in the game can't loose. This essentially means that things will slowly wrap up as the sustainability factor has left the building. It can drag on for a while as the last assets are wrung out of more and more people. But at some stage a Victorian farm life will provide a better and more sustainable living than the present deal. The only way out is to be invisible and live under the radar . How that is to be done is debatable.

I don't really disagree with this post at all. There had been 14 years of failed economic policy in the UK and little sign so far that the new government will do any better.

That doesn't change that the claims made in the OP are false.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Not knocking your lifestyle choice, you seem quite content with it....I'm genuinely pleased for you.

The Council Tax over here replaced the ill thought out and unjust Poll Tax.
The Poll Tax was Thatcher's idea to replace the old Rates that each household had to pay.

These are for local services like Local Authorities, Fire Service, Police, Adult Social Care etc all of which are itemised in the Bill households receive.
All Local Authorities have to publish Audited Accounts every year.
Households can get reductions for things like Single Adult Occupancy, Student reduction and Benefit reduction etc.

As has been said several times, its not perfect but unfortunately it is necessary in the world we live in.

The biggest motivation for most of those seeking not to pay it is not ideological etc but rather just an attempt not to pay their way in a society they expect to receive maximum benefits from = FRAUD.
It should be fairer and it should be better, but that does not excuse non-payment.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 03:48 AM
link   

The Council Tax has always been a way to fleece the populace of even more cash... it's way too high in most cases which has caused issues... if it was capped at 1k per household, I don't think many would complain about it... but yes, in effect it is extortion really, when you think about it logically.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 04:01 AM
link   

a reply to: andy06shake

A life being forced to pay for stuff without a fair invoice being supplied seems to be a step to far.

Every household recieves an annual invoice and breakdown of how Local Authority funds are allocated - there's also an incredibly powerful but not well known right for the public to inspect LA/Council accounts and submit any suspected foul play for prosecution and fraud investigations if not satisfied with the record keeping.

Public rights to audit Council accounts

We used it to get a few fracking permits banned due to bribes/undecalred interests and get a few (including council head) jailed for their role in a £5m fraud with BT called One Connect Ltd.

BBC - Council leader Geoff Driver 'intimidated' witnesses during probe

edit on 22-8-2024 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

I thought that the Tax in question went into a gov. general fund and thats the reason it had no invoice to breakdown the services that it was used for.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Council tax goes directly to the council.

It covers about 50% of their spending.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Why not put it in with general rates if that is the case?

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Why not put it in with general rates if that is the case?

It gives, in theory at least, more control to local authorities over their own budget.

They can set, within certain rules, their own council tax rates. If entirely funded by central government they would have a completely set budget.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Then how do you imagine we know how much to pay if not by invoice or letter?

As to having to pay for stuff.

I would love to know where/how you live that its any different?

A step too far is taking the piss and refusing to contribute to council tax.

Again council tax covers quite a lot of services and amenities that we require to get by in life.

And just like national insurance, everyone contributes.
edit on 22-8-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I'm with Virgin about £75 a month and that's with the basic TV package and a terabit line.

I can't remember the last time i even plugged in the landline if I'm honest.

As to the TV channels, your best bet is to pay dodgy Dave £100 for a two-year IPTV subscription, works flawlessly, and all the sports and TV channels you could possibly need.
edit on 22-8-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: KnowItAllKnowNothin

What?

The claim made in the OP is tripe.

Deny Ignorance happens to be this site's motto.

"ATS Turtle-Division"?

Well, really?!!! 😜

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join