It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Council tax is an illegal scam

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: BedevereTheWise

This is just SovCit/Freeman of the land nonsense.

I looked into the Sovereign Citizen/Freeman Of The Land movement(s) a few years ago.
I sympathised with many of their beliefs and tactics but became unsure of the validity of their argument.

Many believe its a modern phenomenon but similar thoughts can be traced back to the original Levellers and Diggers etc.

I still to this day have many Levellers/Diggers tendencies which are unfortunately somewhat diminished by real life experiences and the resultant cynicism.

I'm absolutely certain any long term refusal to pay one's Council Tax would see an Attachment to Earnings and/or reduction in Benefits etc.

As for the morality of such a tax; local services have to be paid for somehow. I'm not sure The Council Tax is the best or fairest way....but it's certainly better than what was proposed before that - The Poll Tax.

For those that don't know The Poll Tax and subsequent protests and riots against it is an example how direct action can sometimes force policy change on repressive governments.

I can totally understand the appeal that we have ancient rights protected by common law or that there are special rules that, if you know, protect you from unfair treatment.

Reality is however that acts of parliament takes precedence over common law and the wording of legal dictionaries doesn't get you a get out of jail free card.

On council tax I completely agree, it's better than the Poll Tax but still far from perfect.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Council Tax is not a scam.

Councils use this revenue to fund essential services, like fire, Police, highways, waste collection and recycling, adult and social care, libraries and many other things.
edit on 21-8-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

A noble cause by my guess.

Well done.

edit on 21-8-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Sad to say but I was one of those protesters back in the day (all peaceful like too)!!!

I was there too.....and I'm not sad or sorry to say that. 🍻

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Yes, it is a bit of a fantasy.
I was more interested in learning if there were ways to limit or oppose the power of Bailiffs and Police in certain circumstances. I explored if there was any truth in the claim that Magistrate Courts have only limited powers etc....it would be nice if there were some ways to fight and resist some of the more repressive legislation that has been passed, but I don't think there is.

Obviously services need to be paid for but as you say I'm not sure the Council Tax as it is is the best system but its a damn sight better than The Poll Tax.

edit on 21/8/24 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I looked into the Sovereign Citizen/Freeman Of The Land movement(s) a few years ago.
I sympathised with many of their beliefs and tactics but became unsure of the ilvalidity of their argument.

Many believe its a modern phenomenon but similar thoughts can be traced back to the original Levellers and Diggers etc.

I still to this day have many Levellers/Diggers tendencies which are unfortunately somewhat diminished by real life experiences and the resultant cynicism.

I think it had origins in the 17th/18th Century under the Piracy Act and Maritime Law and I think Courts used to at least entertain the idea but around 10 - 15 years ago a judge completely humiliated someone trying to use it in Courtn by asking if he had a peg leg, parrot on his shouldeder, black beard and similar which seemed to stop people trying to use it/claiming it was a legal deefence.

Never heard of the OPs claim councils or police are companies/corporations before - I'm guesssing someone confused Council/Local Authority Local Land Charges (LLC) with Limited Liability Company.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Justoneman

Wow and expanse license to allow them to send brainwashing lies to you via the boob tube? Holy fricken' cow!

Im 49 and managed to avoid having to purchase a TV license my entire adult life.

You can simply tell the "Capita" crew who attempt to extort monies for the BBC.

That you have removed the implied right of access to the property via writing/correspondence, and if they do not leave the premises immediately, you will have police remove them for trespass.

With the TV licence mob, you are also under no legal obligation to provide them with any sort of information including your name.

So they don't really have any teeth unless you give them such.

Taxes are a different matter though entirely.

Only need a licence if you want to watch TV as it airs . Nothing good on so I don’t watch it and don’t have a tv licence , Netflix , YouTube no need for licence…. itv app no need for licence . It amazes me anyone is still actually paying for a tv licence .

The scam is the very clever mistake that a licence is needed for a tv.

I wish council tax was this easy to avoid!!

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BedevereTheWise

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

It's not nonsense, but that doesn't matter because they have plugged most of the recourse and remedies. I studied the topic for years and actually had some successes. There was a time that you could actually look up your bond on Fidelity dot com.

The red numbers on the back of your SS# card could be inputted through a number of steps and you could actually see it trading. That was 2004-ish and my bond was valued at ~$34 million .

I checked it again off and on for a couple of years and then I couldn't do it anymore. The options weren't available to complete the steps. That's when I kinda shelved it all and lost interest.

Anyone pushing this stuff now, is shilling pretty bad because the Sovereign thing sputtered out years ago.

Of course you did.

Many people lose interest in 34 million.

Great argument. Not sure how to respond to such a well organized position. "Of course you did" totally stumped me. Except, have you ever heard of "active listening"?

Yeah, you need to "actively read" what I actually said instead of rushing to dismiss what you obviously don't understand. I didn't lose interest in the money, there simply wasn't a way to access it and, because I like to repeat myself, I couldn't access it anymore through the options the site provided. I think the "bond type" was missing if I recall.

One of the many things all that research taught me is that people don't understand and most times don't give a 💩 about the things they agree to or sign up for.

I can hardly expect those that never read the terms of service and just click agree to take me serious.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 10:48 AM
link   

It's not nonsense, but that doesn't matter because they have plugged most of the recourse and remedies. I studied the topic for years and actually had some successes. There was a time that you could actually look up your bond on Fidelity dot com.

The red numbers on the back of your SS# card could be inputted through a number of steps and you could actually see it trading. That was 2004-ish and my bond was valued at ~$34 million .

I checked it again off and on for a couple of years and then I couldn't do it anymore. The options weren't available to complete the steps. That's when I kinda shelved it all and lost interest.

Anyone pushing this stuff now, is shilling pretty bad because the Sovereign thing sputtered out years ago.

Of course you did.

Great argument. Not sure how to respond to such a well organized position. "Of course you did" totally stumped me. Except, have you ever heard of "active listening"?

Yeah, you need to "actively read" what I actually said instead of rushing to dismiss what you obviously don't understand. I didn't lose interest in the money, there simply wasn't a way to access it and, because I like to repeat myself, I couldn't access it anymore through the options the site provided. I think the "bond type" was missing if I recall.

One of the many things all that research taught me is that people don't understand and most times don't give a 💩 about the things they agree to or sign up for.

I can hardly expect those that never read the terms of service and just click agree to take me serious.

Maybe just maybe there was no way to access it because...

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

.....I'm guesssing someone confused Council/Local Authority Local Land Charges (LLC) with Limited Liability Company.

That certainly sounds quite plausible.

My experience is that many of the people who try their best not to pay Council Tax are amongst the most vocal about poor local services etc.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Naah, I'l be the devils advocate again. Ms Chapman is a parasite. Ok she's found a legal way not to pay but. But If I were the council I would inform her with "OK we understand that you will not pay so we will be suspending all services that the tax provides you ie. your bins will not be emptied, do not phone the fire brigade as you have not paid for their services, do not phone the police for the same reason, do not use any publicly funded amenities ie library etc."

So it's alright that the majority pay (though paying in her terms is not a legal responsibility but it IS a moral responsibility) for the services she enjoys for free. Think on this, if no body payed you would not have your rubbish removed, you would not have a fire service put douse your house fire and you would not have a police (please don't come out with they are useless anyway) to arrest criminals that blight your life. And there are multiple "agencies" that the council tax funds not just the main 3.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Nealthefourth

I wish council tax was this easy to avoid!!

“In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes” Benjamin Franklin.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It's not legal and yes she is a parasite.

The cost to LA's for adult care alone is an awful lot.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

"My experience is that many of the people who try their best not to pay Council Tax are amongst the most vocal about poor local services etc."

Yes, indeed!

You don't get something for nothing.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Much like the 'I don't need a driving liscence as I am traveling not driving.

Do you remember early internet days, when people were adamant that their freeman bull# actually worked?😂

I paid this years council tax in full last week, and I'd snatch any chance to be exempt from it, but the truth is, council's need funding, or there ain't any local services.

I'll assume the person in the YouTube is just an attention seeker with very gullible followers lol

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdultMaleHumanUK

Much like the 'I don't need a driving liscence as I am traveling not driving.

Do you remember early internet days, when people were adamant that their freeman bull# actually worked?😂

I paid this years council tax in full last week, and I'd snatch any chance to be exempt from it, but the truth is, council's need funding, or there ain't any local services.

I'll assume the person in the YouTube is just an attention seeker with very gullible followers lol

I imagine there is good money to be made from the gullibility of many YouTube viewers.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AdultMaleHumanUK

I pay monthly.

BT is the worst offender. Price keeps going up and it's irritating to see them advertise cheaper deals, but not for existing long term customers like me.

£99 per month for broadband, TV and landline.

I'm switching when my contract runs out.

Your assumption about this person is spot on.

There's a lot of gullible fools out there.
edit on 21-8-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Of course you did.

You still don't get it. I was able to access it initially but they removed options from the search engine so that I couldn't complete the steps any longer.

Do I need to do this a third time or are you good?

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2
Lol, I WAS paying monthly but didn't pay June or July's installments and suddenly a letter demanding the whole year balance "for failing to keep to the payment agreement".

I couldn't be arsed with arguing that by paying in full, I'm effectively paying in advance for services, as the charge is from 1st April to 31st March '25 ...but I couldn't be arsed, lazy lol

...lol about direct debits, I haven't got any, haven't had any for a decade now, I ONLY 'push' payments from my account, and NEVER authorise any system that 'pulls' payment from an account. If I can't buy the product/service under these terms then I find an alternative...been stung by rogue company DD's once in my life, and vowed never again lol

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Of course you did.

You still don't get it. I was able to access it initially but they removed options from the search engine so that I couldn't complete the steps any longer.

Do I need to do this a third time or are you good?

I owned mayfair when playing Monopoly but then someone knocked the board over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join