It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US drug control agency will move to reclassify marijuana in a historic shift, AP sources say

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here's an update from a couple of weeks ago:

The DOJ officially submitted the proposed regulation on May 16, 2024. This step emphasizes the shift in the federal stance towards recognizing the medical benefits of marijuana

The Justice Department today announced that the Attorney General has submitted to the Federal Register a notice of proposed rulemaking initiating a formal rulemaking process to consider moving marijuana from a schedule I to schedule III drug under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

The notice of proposed rulemaking submitted by the Department can be viewed here, and the OLC memorandum regarding questions related to the potential rescheduling of marijuana can be found here.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA

The DOJ officially submitted the proposed regulation on May 16, 2024. This step emphasizes the shift in the federal stance towards recognizing the medical benefits of marijuana

The Justice Department today announced that the Attorney General has submitted to the Federal Register a notice of proposed rulemaking initiating a formal rulemaking process to consider moving marijuana from a schedule I to schedule III drug under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

The notice of proposed rulemaking submitted by the Department can be viewed here, and the OLC memorandum regarding questions related to the potential rescheduling of marijuana can be found here.

Interesting News there , Thank You . so , do you Personally feel this will get Done in the near Future , and Will it have an Effect on State Drug Laws and Amendments to their Past Conviction Rulings ?

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: IndieA

Interesting News there , Thank You . so , do you Personally feel this will get Done in the near Future?

So, this is an initiative to move cannabis from being a schedule 1 drug, which is reserved for drugs with no medical value, and a high potential for abuse, to a schedule 3 drug which includes a long list of prescribed medicines, and other substances, which have a lower potential for abuse.

Common sense tells me that this should have happened a long time ago, so yes, eventually I think it will.

I am curious as to if this will happen before the election, or not, or if the Biden administration even allows it at all. I could foresee a new Trump administration helping it along, and maybe even going a step further.
The federal government actually had the first medical use program in this country, and even supplied it to their very limited number of patients.

Will it have an Effect on State Drug Laws and Amendments to their Past Conviction Rulings

Most States are much further along than the federal government, with many of them already decriminalizing, allowing medical use programs, and some allowing for adult recreational use.

As far as past convictions go, I think the more serious crimes like drug sales or tracking would still stand, regardless of whether or not the federal government recognizes that drug's medical benefit.

I think there should be some consideration for minor cannabis crimes, like people who were charged with possession of small amounts, especially if they could argue a medical necessity at the time. There should already be a path to getting charges expunged, and I imagine rescheduling could help some people get some charges expunged. All this is up to individual States.

I would like to see similar considerations from the federal government, with regards to past federal employees and veterans.

Time will tell, but I'm happy to finally see some progress on this issue.

edit on 3-6-2024 by IndieA because: Reworded

posted on Jun, 11 2024 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I mean there's absolutely no way

posted on Jul, 18 2024 @ 02:33 PM
link   
With legalization, comes cultivation. Which inturn spawns new industries. $10usd for 1 seed...lights, grow tents, special nutes, Potting soil designed for cannibus, ventilation systems, high tech distros, a selection of 420 products ready to go, besides flower to blow your mind. It's almost as if some people had insider Information...but you really didn't need it if your were only halfassed aware.

The big corporate dogs aren't stupid. It's not a hippydippy enterprise...Corporate farms are everywhere.

Prices are down...invest, I could retire today if I wanted to....

markets.businessinsider.com...

"Dorothy, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore"

edit on 18-7-2024 by lilzazz because: sp

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join