It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In New York, "squatting" isn't considered trespassing.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:10 PM
link   
In the state of New York, squatters that have been living in a property for thirty days automatically become legal tenants.

Yes, you read that right. Thirty day, and they are now tenants! Then when police are called, it doesn't matter if the legal property owner shows up, lease in hand. Apparently, the squatter need only produce their "lease". That they scribbled on a napkin.

Trespassers or squatters can falsely claim a right to reside on a property. They can achieve this by providing invalid or falsified documents to property owners or law enforcement.

If you're squatting and you're concerned that you might be accused of and possibly charged with trespassing, just plant a few flowers.

A person may be able to avoid being prosecuted for trespassing if they beautify the land they have trespassed on. The beautification may involve doing things like landscaping, clearing debris, or planting flowers.

A law firm in New York cautions people that "owning property in New York can be challenging'" and not understanding the laws "can lead to the property owner losing the property to the squatter."
The law group actually said "For property owners, this seems unfair".
Squatters Rights

This is brain-rotting stupidity. This is beyond Idiocracy.
Technically, it isn't trespassing

Squatter tells homeowner "it's not your house anymore."

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I see the opportunity for a clandestine business enterprise.

Goons R Us, unwanted "tenant" removal.

Guido and his gang will remove squatters for a Benjamin a head.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moon68

I think the Mafia did that in New York and New Jersey when crack-heads were squatting. I think the show "The Sopranos" featured a couple "squatter removal" scenes.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2

I think the Mafia did that in New York and New Jersey when crack-heads were squatting. I think the show "The Sopranos" featured a couple "squatter removal" scenes.

I believe that was the 80's- early 90's...and the neighborhoods were in much better shape for it.

Just sayin'

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger2

Squatters are a quintessentially British invention.
Now it is relevant in New York. Is Charles, the King of England, still taking revenge on his former colonies for being too independent from the crown?))))

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

If you look at mid 1800's New York, many of the Irish immigrants not conscripted into the Union Army set up squatter camps in abandoned buildings, churches and even mausoleums in and around the five points.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:45 PM
link   
So, if the same happens to one of the mansions of a 1% , the same laws apply right? Squatters rights?

edit on 19-3-2024 by ScarletDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Of course I watched Gangs of New York with Leonardo DiCaprio. I even had a mini gun that women used back then. I sold it gift-wrapped for $3,000 as a rarity.
I know the history of the United States quite well, and I know the history of Russia and Europe very well. I know)))))

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Should we not question what sort of society we have when we have literally millions homeless, many veterans and the most vulnerable in our societies, when there are literally untold numbers of vacant properties?

As with most things the problem is much deeper and more complicated than at first seems.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Do you believe in property rights?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:02 PM
link   

lol

New York has solved the homeless crisis and the illegal alien crisis.

Never setting foot there again. . . . .

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
... when there are literally untold numbers of vacant properties?

People aren't squatting in abandoned buildings. They are squatting in homes and business' that are owned by people. It doesn't matter how much those owners use the buildings, they still belong to the owner and squatters have no right to them.

And I say that as a veteran who is getting old and will possibly be homeless at some point in the future.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The owners still have to pay property taxes or the state takes away the home.

This has been perfectly planned.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Of course.

But I don't think its right that millions of people are homeless when there are perfectly good properties standing vacant.

We need to start addressing core issues and addressing root causes.
Profit should not be God.

Now I can't speak for the US but here in the UK we have had decades of spiralling house prices and the cost renting housing has soared.
Not enough affordable houses, not enough social housing built and landlords allowed to charge exorbitant rents.

We have a society that disenfranchises so many, including those who have served in defence of our nation.
We have had successive governments who have targeted and victimised the most needy and vulnerable.
We have been swamped with illegal immigrants, far too many of whom have no intention of integrating or becoming contributing members of society, who are given preferential treatment over existing citizens.
We have a poorly trained and poorly paid workforce.

We have to start addressing core issues with a honesty that precious few politicians seem to have the desire, integrity or intent to do so.

I get the impression its pretty similar in the US - I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Biggest thing we need to focus on in the US, is why are we sending hundreds billions to other countries when we have so many starving and homeless in our own back yard that are being left there to die?

Then we can start to focus on the empty housing and buildings
edit on 19-3-2024 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The owners still have to pay property taxes or the state takes away the home.

This has been perfectly planned.

Yeah, spend 30 years paying it off and then you still have to pay rent to your state and town, or lose it.

Most bullsh*t scam ever.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:26 PM
link   

There are actually guys hiring out now, to come in and be an anti-squatter for a price.

They sneak in and squat on the squatter, get all the same protections and can’t be removed either. And make the original squatter’s life a living hell until they leave.

Gotta love capitalism. There’s always a problem in search of solution, that can be sold.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
... why are we sending hundreds billions to other countries when we have so many starving and homeless in our own back yard ...

The biggest segment of the US population that is going homeless is ... OLD PEOPLE. We worked and worked and saved and saved but because of the economy, the money in the bank and the social security won't pay the bills very long. Homeless shelters are seeing the elderly as the biggest group coming in now. I did a thread on it a while back. AND the elderly have special needs at the homeless shelters. Those over 65 can't sleep on top bunks, they aren't allowed. So if the bottom bunks are filled up, then there is no room in the homeless shelters for the elderly and they are on the street.

It's just not right.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Let's run a scenario:

You have a car you saved up and bought. It wasn't cheap but you worked your tail off to get it. You've taken great care of it, maintaining it and personalizing it to fit everything you could want in a car.

Joe's an H addict that has wandered into your town. Joe's homeless and pretty much broke since working would put a damper on feeding his drug habit. Joe's also out of H but knows he can get some in the town about 100km away but Joe is disenfranchised with no car.

Should Joe have the right to take your car, without asking your permission to go get his H? Oh, and he may or may not return your car. And, IF you do get it back, it's going to be trashed, probably totaled. What about Joe's right?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It's egregious, we are sending out billions to countries that wouldn't lift a finger to help us if we were in the same boat.

Close the border, stop sending our tax payers dollars to other countries, and worry about fixing the problems in our own back yard before even looking at someone else to send a penny to.

Not that hard but where would all those higher ups be if they didnt have their foreign buddies

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join