It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Y’all Seeing all the news on Bed Bugs?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Didn't New York get overrun by bed bugs a while back , due to "immigration" ?

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I've only dealt with bedbugs once, and it was a horrific experience.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 07:39 PM
link   

You want to kill bed bugs and anything else with an exoskeleton? Cheap, simple and easy? Get some foodgrade diatomaceous earth and a salt shaker. Put the powder in the shaker and sprinkle it everywhere you suspect any bugs.

It is an eye irritant but otherwise harmless and you can eat it as a calcium supplement. You don't need to use a lot, just enough to notice and work info carpet and fabric. Reapply after vacuuming or changing bedding.

Now for how it works. It gets in the joints of the bugs exoskeleton and grinds the joints open as they move. This dries them out and kills them. It works mechanically and not chemically so they cannot become immune to it. You will need to apply it for a couple of months, once a week or so, to get rid of bed bugs or fleas and shuch as it doesn't kill the eggs until after they hatch and the bugs start moving.

I have used swimming pool grede outside to kill flees the same way using a broadcast seed spreader. Pool grade has some silika in it so you don't want to breath the dust. Wear one of those left over covid masks while spreading it. I applied a small amount every two weeks and they were gone after about six weeks. Twenty pounds did three applications of about an acher and a half. Not much dust at all per application.

It works great but you must give it time to work. If I had a hotel, all the cleaning staff would use it every time a room was cleaned in case some guest brought unwelcomed visitors along. Any lingering ones would be dead before they could lay eggs

Have fun killing the little buggers.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

I’ve been fortunate to never have them in my home, but dealing with them at that hotel was traumatic and I could never look at a hotel the same after.
I also have to do a 20 point inspection now.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 07:58 PM
link   
One of our sons and his family have been planning a Paris trip for four years to celebrate our grand daughters graduation. This story hit the new big time while they were flying over the Atlantic. They will not be visiting us for a while when they get home........

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Yes, I carry a couple of blacklight and regular flashlights when traveling. More or less unmake and remake the bedding and flip over the furniture cushions and furniture to check. Also look in the recepticle holes as they can hide in them but leave traces of being there. Then I get the luggage if the room is clean.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Careful, it can take six months or more for a single bug to grow to enough bugs to be noticed and sworm. They only feed a couple times a month so small numbers can go unnoticed for a long time.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalChickAmy
It's yet just another thing for us to worry about. Pay it no attention. This is how the media operates.

No, they exist, and they are a legit thing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Apparently there is a crisis in France with bedbugs. Some have said it is already spreading across Europe and will soon make its way to other major cities.

I’ve read that one of the reasons for the explosion in bed bugs is that there are less cockroaches, and they eat bed bugs.
I’ve also read that bed bugs are becoming immune to pesticides. They are worried with the Olympics next year it will be a massive problem.

Y’all this is my absolute worst nightmare. I’ve dealt with bed bugs one time. We were on vacation in Florida and my daughter woke up and screamed and I looked and there was a big engorged bed bug on the bed! I had bites. There was a lot of screaming!
I went to the front desk and they blamed it on all the people from New York and New Jersey. (Sounds like they knew and were still booking)
They took all our clothing and dried it in their industrial drier. We flew home and I made all of us strip 100% naked in the middle of winter in our garage (one at a time) and run into the house. Nothing came in with us, (Thank God!) the luggage was thrown away.
Luckily those actions were enough that we didn’t spread them to our house. I can’t even imagine the people that have to deal wit this.

If you travel, check all the crevices of the furniture. Look behind the headboard with your cell phone light.
Remove the fitted sheet and look at all the nooks and crannies.
DO not be swayed by the niceness of the hotel, no place is immune.
Avoid public transportation if you can. I read this is where it is really exploding too.

This is great advice and a great post. Bed bugs are one of the hardest critters to get rid of.
They also hang out on top of, inside and under wardrobes and any other types of furniture, even behind picture frames, they get EVERYWHERE!

They are able to spread to other places by hitching rides on peoples clothing. Also they can survive in a property WITHOUT a host to feed on, for anywhere between 6 months to a year 😳

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
Eww. Reading this makes me want to go back to water bed.

(They can be wiped clean, no place to hide for bedbugs)

Read my last post,a water bed would make no difference I'm afraid 😬

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Dbl

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

You want to kill bed bugs and anything else with an exoskeleton? Cheap, simple and easy? Get some foodgrade diatomaceous earth and a salt shaker. Put the powder in the shaker and sprinkle it everywhere you suspect any bugs.

It is an eye irritant but otherwise harmless and you can eat it as a calcium supplement. You don't need to use a lot, just enough to notice and work info carpet and fabric. Reapply after vacuuming or changing bedding.

Now for how it works. It gets in the joints of the bugs exoskeleton and grinds the joints open as they move. This dries them out and kills them. It works mechanically and not chemically so they cannot become immune to it. You will need to apply it for a couple of months, once a week or so, to get rid of bed bugs or fleas and shuch as it doesn't kill the eggs until after they hatch and the bugs start moving.

I have used swimming pool grede outside to kill flees the same way using a broadcast seed spreader. Pool grade has some silika in it so you don't want to breath the dust. Wear one of those left over covid masks while spreading it. I applied a small amount every two weeks and they were gone after about six weeks. Twenty pounds did three applications of about an acher and a half. Not much dust at all per application.

It works great but you must give it time to work. If I had a hotel, all the cleaning staff would use it every time a room was cleaned in case some guest brought unwelcomed visitors along. Any lingering ones would be dead before they could lay eggs

Have fun killing the little buggers.

More excellent advice 👍🏼

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

We will give warning to our kids, thanks B.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalChickAmy

Your warning here MCA is clearly a warning birthed from great caution on media's control of information and how it can be used to manipulate a populous . However, while I agree that caution is paramount to evading that manipulation I do not think it wise to dismiss out of hand everything that mass media disperses.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   
At 113°F, it takes 7 minutes to kill bed bugs, and about an hour to kill their eggs.

At 115°F, it takes two minutes to kill bed bugs, and about ten minutes to kill their eggs.

At 122°F, it takes seconds to kill bed bugs, and two minutes to kill their eggs.

By heating a space (that has been cleared of heat sensitive items) to at least 113°F constant, for at least an hour, that should do the trick.

An increase in heat may save time but may also damage door jambs and window openings, but if the space can take it, I say give 'em hell!! Lol

edit on 10/7/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
a reply to: Bluntone22

DDT was banned because it causes bird eggs to have thinner shells, I remember.

So they say. I can't say a trust a thing anymore any 'scientist' or 'expert' says these days. You can be sure what they claim is bad for us , is not , and vice versa.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I think one reason is some of these illegals who sleep rough in France before making the trip to England are bringing these little critters with them...

Obviously the people bringing them over and ourt own Councils and Governments aren't going to say that though..

I mean think about it... there's been a lot of talk about new viruses coming to Europe in recent years... bed bugs is sort of a virus... so could come under that category!

I tell you what... we're going to suffer big time if just one of the more deadly viruses comes on a boat!

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
Had one one my leg. Tried to squash it with finger and thumb.

Looked at me like "that's all you got"?

You have to squash them with the backs of the fingernails, they have a strong shell.

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Dude. A very high immunity is still just immunity.

A very high tolerance is a different thing altogether.

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

One of gifts of mass immigration.

Not very likely, considering other places have higher numbers of immigrants and bed bugs have been spreading since the 1990s, most likely because of acquired insecticide resistance.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join