It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Baby Boomers Are Falling Into Homelessness - Fastest Growing Segment of Homeless Population

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

The destruction of the family has very long term consequences for individuals.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

It's most likely lack of mental health services and homecare services, IMO.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Ahhhh... the marxist solution to lifes problems. Govt provided care.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

Capitalist solution: No money? No family? Useless eaters can die in the streets and alleys. Minimum wage earners can clean it up.

Oh wait. We got rid of the minimum wage.

edit on 13-9-2023 by pthena because: spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

The American family has been destroyed. What previous generations, and other societies safety net of multigenerational families provided is being shown here by these facts.

If the family is broken up, and the social security system doesn't work, then what is happening make sense.

But immigrants are getting twice what the average SS recipient is receiving.

Maybe more SS needs to be withheld from paychecks? Another Marxist solution. Raise taxes.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The destruction of the family isn’t always the government, or outside forces. Sometimes it’s just the people within the family.

My parents weren’t the greatest but they were still my parents and I took care of them with every ounce of energy I had. If my parents didn’t have me my siblings would have let them rot.

Oddly, by taking care of them in their final days I was able to reconcile childhood trauma. I learned that I could break the chains. My kids heard a lot of the discussions, and maybe even understood why I am the way I am due to my upbringing.

I learned something… what goes around comes around.
Young parents don’t be impatient when your child is potty training, for someday you may need a diaper, or wet your pants.

If you are cruel and overly strict with your children, when they are that way with you, you’ll have no one to blame.

When you make your children eat a yucky dinner, be prepared to eat that same dinner when you are old and frail.

What goes around comes around for real…

I’m sure those that work in nursing homes have seen it all.

edit on 13-9-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
The fastest solution would be to ERADICATE the DNC and all of their self serving and harmful programs that "trickle down" into a devastated economy. Eradicate the GOP as well which is also a "do nothing but talk big" organization.

Trillions spent on making America unlivable and unaffordable? It's ridiculous. Get rid of them all.

This and stop BOTH party embezzling trillions of our money overseas in places that have shoddy account tracking little or no accountability like Haiti, middle east, and Ukraine.

The problem is the people on the helm are riddled with conflict of interest. I only wish the American voters would get their arses out of their head and realize we need to STOP BOTH party and the MSM from talking or focusing on fixing the economy,racism,healthcare,border protection,budget,religion,abortion,lghdtv+, etc. These are all symptoms and are the direct consequence of the REAL issue we have in the US. The real issue is Conflict of interest.
I wrote about this back in 2012 and how we are going to continue to have the same issues because we are not focused on conflict of interest.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 41930America/ChicagoWed, 13 Sep 2023 10:41:54 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I'm talking about death with dignity. We die. Doesn't matter what family, money, whatever.

I was working at under living wage at a place where terminal patients were sent to die.

A guy's wife caught me in the hallway, "Can you talk to ****?"

"I'm sort of behind on rounds, but sure"

So I went in to talk to him. Heard a bit about the job he retired from.

So I said "Think of the best ****"

He broke down and said "I wanted to join ****, but there weren't openings so I worked **** instead."

So I said "Well that's okay, that's good too."

He was having a good cry when I left to resume rounds.

He died that night.

A couple of days later his wife gave me a thank you card with a check in it.

I totally lost it then. I wasn't a fast worker. Always behind on rounds. No time for the important things. I was living in my car before long.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The American family has been destroyed. What previous generations, and other societies safety net of multigenerational families provided is being shown here by these facts.

Sorry about that distraction.

Family:

So when the Winter came, and the windows of my car were frosting up from the moisture of my sleep breath, my ex-wife took me in. Then she got married and moved, leaving the house to our son. So my son took me in. I didn't even have to move.

Then my son got married. I had a bad tendency to rant and rave. My daughter in law couldn't take it. So I had to leave.

My ex-wife and her husband took me in again. I was at least paying rent for a room. Then, due to reaction to more ranting from me I left in the middle of the night and almost jumped off a bridge.

Then my Daughter and her husband took me in. When they divorced I ended up renting a room from my son in law.

So yes. I agree. Family is important. I wouldn't be alive without them.

Sad reality though; not every one is as blessed and fortunate as I am.
edit on 13-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Not my original idea, but I’ll add on to it…….
Picture this.

We take old abandoned malls. We make those into retirement homes.

Here’s my add ons-
We have giant lan parties and us mIRC, drink coke from glass bottles, play oldies from the 80’s.
In the cafeteria we will be served school square pizza, orange Julias, and McDonald’s pies fried in beef tallow and listen to boom boxes and walkmans.
Instead of Anchor stores, we will have a grocery store, an urgent care, and a blockbuster. What more could we need?

There will be a moat built around the mall and one road in. The road only fits one car that uses stick shift with no GPS.
This will prevent any Millennials from sneaking in.

Put more bathrooms in it and I think you've got a winning idea!

And think of this - when they're all finished jogging around the interior of it, they won't have to worry about driving home. They'll already be home!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
So when the Winter came, and the windows of my car were frosting up from the moisture of my sleep breath....

Hints from Heloise (if you will):

When living in your car, try to do so in Florida. I know my windows never frosted up while I was living in my car. That's because I was in Florida at the time. A buddy of mine and me chucked everything and headed south to Florida in my Lincoln. We found a job the very first day we looked and then found an apartment across the street from the beach for $200 a month. Life can be adventurous at times!

But hang in there. Someone cares about you.
edit on 13-9-2023 by TrulyColorBlind because: Removed a redundant word.

edit on 13-9-2023 by TrulyColorBlind because: Corrected a typo.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Ahhhh... the marxist solution to lifes problems. Govt provided care.

One could always self-reflect and educate oneself on their particular mental health issues, then heal thyself, but that really doesn't happen with people entrenched in their cognitive dissonance, or bias, or narcissistic personalities. So here we are.

There are many reasons why governments have to step in to help those that are unable to help themselves it is what being a part of society means, to help the weak, sick and old.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The road only fits one car that uses stick shift with no GPS.

Stick shift detector?

Sonic detector, can tell the difference between asbestos to asbestos sound and hydraulic fluid sound. Could work.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I know my windows never frosted up while I was living in my car.

I don't have a car any more so frosting window problem solved.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Millennials can swim the moat and scale walls.

Post a sign:

Wi-fi free zone
NO CEL RECEPTION

That should keep them out.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Millennials can swim the moat and scale walls.

Post a sign:

Wi-fi free zone
NO CEL RECEPTION

That should keep them out.

It will keep me out too because 'free university' and other necessities for a busy brain.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Just because the sign says it doesn't make it true.
"What the kids don't know..."
PR
edit on 13-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Just because the sign says it doesn't make it true.

PR

Oh well then, that's different.

Some countries offer families/non-family individuals caregiver programs whereby they are reimbursed a small monthly amount. If the governments just increased that amount to match the actual work and effort required, then I could see more people taking advantage of the program; with some oversight, of course.

Example in the U.K.: "Despite what you may assume, you don't have to be related to the person you're caring for in order to claim Carer's Allowance. It could be your elderly parent(s), another relative, a friend, or a neighbour."

www.careline.co.uk...#:~:text=Carer's%20Allowance%20is%20a%20taxable,of%20themselves%20as%20a%20carer.

edit on q00000056930America/Chicago5353America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

edit on q00000057930America/Chicago5555America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

edit on q00000058930America/Chicago1919America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I’ve seen this happen a couple of times; and it’s very sad.

My nana and grandfather owned a duplex on the beach right outside of Boston. Every family member lived there at one time or another. Most of them now own their own homes and were able to pay for college that way.

We wouldn’t even think about not being there for one another. God I miss them 💔

Years later, all but one uncle is left. House was inherited to cousin, who supposedly bought another house and didn’t pay the taxes so lost that house.

My sons paternal grandmother owned a 4 bedroom house with 2 car garage in a nice neighborhood but refused to let us stay with her til we got on our feet when we became homeless due her her sons drug addiction to Oxy.

My son and I went to visit her one day, and she pulled into the driveway with a strange man in her car and backed out and took off like a bat out of hell. So I guess us staying there temporarily would have put a dent into her alley catting around lifestyle. What a pretentious B. That was the first and last time we ever dropped by. She’s a regular church attending Catholic last I knew.

I’d rather jump in front of a train than have to rely on anyone now. So many people have lost their way nowadays!

It comes down to Selfishness!

For the people who are alone and want to continue on living find some roommates.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Sad reality though; not every one is as blessed and fortunate as I am.

Gentle suggestion, if you know your ranting and raving is affecting your family members, maybe try to temper it.
Or get help/support for the root cause of it, probably your own past trauma.

My mom had a horrible childhood (war, starvation, abuse, and so much more) and that translated to a lot of crap that we had to put up with as children and adults.
She never got help for it. I wish I could have gone back in time and helped her get help.

It sounds like your family loves you deeply, and you are very lucky and blessed!

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join