It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Baby Boomers Are Falling Into Homelessness - Fastest Growing Segment of Homeless Population

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Life is expensive. Old age is even more expensive. Having a limited income, if any, coupled with big medical bills that come with old age and soaring rent, and the insane cost of food and electricity to heat the home ... that makes for a lot of people on the cusp of being homeless. And many homeless shelters turn elderly away. Seems it's against the law for them to let anyone over 60 years old have a top bunk and many times that's the only one available.

This is actually my great fear - being old and homeless. We have done everything 'right'. Worked. Saved. 401K and pension at husbands work. But by my calculations we will be out of money at age 85 and that's only if everything goes alright and there are no surprises. Guess we move in with my daughter then, and that's only if she has a place with enough room. Being an elderly burden upon the child ... not good!

More baby boomers are falling into HOMELESSNESS thanks to death of spouse, expensive medical emergency or soaring rents - and many are too frail to climb bunk beds in shelters

- The fastest-growing segment of the homeless population is people aged over 65: one called it a 'silver tsunami'

- For the first time, the Department of Housing and Urban Development will show what percentage people over 65 make up of the homeless population

- Rising rent prices and soaring medical bills forcing seniors from their homes and onto the streets

Baby boomers are finding themselves homeless in ever-increasing numbers, according to a new report, with rising rent prices and soaring medical bills forcing seniors from their homes and onto the streets.

Analysts at the Department of Housing and Urban Development told The Wall Street Journal the fastest-growing segment of the homeless population is people aged over 65.

Hot spots for senior homelessness include Miami, Denver and Columbus, Ohio - cities on the cusp of what one called a 'silver tsunami.' Many of those who find themselves homeless can't even use shelters, as they are too frail to climb up onto a top bunk that may be the only bed available to them.

'The fact that we are seeing elderly homelessness is something that we have not seen since the Great Depression,' said Dennis Culhane, a University of Pennsylvania social policy professor.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well that is some BS.
How hard is it to make a younger person move to the top bunk?

As far as the rest of it, we stopped giving the proper care to the elderly, when we stopped having multi-generations all living together.

It really was a great set up. The older people took care of the children, and usually helped around the house, while the middle aged either farmed or worked.

Why did we stop doing this?

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I am seeing more multi-generational living arrangements as the economy worsens, but for those seniors without family what can they do? where can they go? Societies seem poorly equipped to provide for those seniors that are in poverty or live to a ripe old age. We are living longer and government services have not kept up, but are the elderly in government shelters easy prey?

I also wonder why the boomers don't start their own communes, where has that philosophy gone? Maybe it's a young people's project and seniors just don't have the strength to do all that hard work, but that kind of work will keep you young.

Or adopt the Golden Girls/Boys type of living arrangement, or are these types of roommate scenarios laden with problems? I know when I was young the roommates I had came with many different issues.
edit on q00000044930America/Chicago3939America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
we stopped giving the proper care to the elderly, when we stopped having multi-generations all living together.

I grew up in a house with an elderly grandmother living there and being taken care of until my mother couldn't do it anymore. There came a point where she was just unqualified to do it. But my mother did take care of my grandmother for as long as possible.

I don't want us to have to go live with my daughter when we are in our mid to upper 80s. (I don't know if she'll even have the room.) But it looks like that could be in our future. Either that or the homeless shelter if they'll take us.

All those billions of $$ we ship overseas and yet we have elderly here living homeless because life is too expensive. It's just not right.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It’s a complex issue and I don’t pretend to have a solution but your post brought to the surface something I’ve been thinking about for quite some time.

I will stop short of labeling it “bad,” but I find it unfortunate that Western society has evolved to the point where families are physically disconnected.

We all need our space, but I find it odd that we all take on such financial burdens to live apart, with each part of the family paying a separate mortgage, for example.

I would think that overall we’d be in a better place if there were more multigenerational situations. I don’t mean that everyone should straight-up live together. However, wouldn’t it make sense to have grandparents living in a small detached cottage off of the main house not only for their benefit but also to the benefit of the adult children to have trustworthy people nearby to help with childcare.

Larger families (and blended families with in-laws) having a few connected properties seems to make sense to me.

I say this as someone who is very private (as is my wife and kids).

Wish I had the time to go into more detail about this because I’ve thought a lot about it but that will have to wait until later.

Oh, and I suspect I’m a little bit younger than you and we’re doing the “right things” too….. but you’re not alone in your fear.

Wishing you the best.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Because we as a society have failed.

When we had nothing we understood the value of the children and the elderly. The stronger the community, the more respect was shown to the members of the community.

When materialism, became the new world model, jealousy, selfishness, and greed became the yellow brick road to the illusion of success.

"Things" became the goal of life, and it didn't matter how you got them. The quickest way to the top was selling your soul to the devil.

So we now live in a soulless society, with Satan at the helm, and Hell as our primary residence.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The fastest solution would be to ERADICATE the DNC and all of their self serving and harmful programs that "trickle down" into a devastated economy. Eradicate the GOP as well which is also a "do nothing but talk big" organization.

Trillions spent on making America unlivable and unaffordable? It's ridiculous. Get rid of them all.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Or adopt the Golden Girls/Boys type of living arrangement, or are these types of roommate scenarios laden with problems? I know when I was young the roommates I had came with many different issues.

What I’ve found in roommate situations is there is always one person that ruins it.
The dirty, lazy, take everyone else for granted one. Doesn’t matter the age, young or old, they stay the same.

I can’t imagine anything worse than dealing with a lazy, needy, old, infirm, possibly hoarding, incontinent roommate in one’s twilight years.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

What I’ve found in roommate situations is there is always one person that ruins it.
The dirty, lazy, take everyone else for granted one. Doesn’t matter the age, young or old, they stay the same.

I can’t imagine anything worse than dealing with a lazy, needy, old, infirm, possibly hoarding, incontinent roommate in one’s twilight years.

Yeah, but just wondering if everyone chipped in for a cleaning person twice a week that may be an affordable solution. But, yeah, a hoarder or thief or worse - out they go - next.

And as to not being able to look after an elderly person any more, well this is where government needs to step up with programs whereby subsidized personal care workers can come into the home and do what is needed.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I think the elderly should be put up in homes rent free, especially as they've paid into the system most of their live's!

What isn't fair is that Illegals who come on boat get put up in hotels and then into Housing of which they paid nothing towards this is unfair on all of us.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   
IV seen a lot of people with the I want to live forever idea no drinking no smoking and no kids

This won't play out well for them at all

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Euthanasia should be legal. I see nothing immoral about it. If you want to check out there should be a painless way available to you.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
Euthanasia should be legal. I see nothing immoral about it. If you want to check out there should be a painless way available to you.

So just euthanize the elderly because they can't pay rent?

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

As a Boomer, I suggest that we use the trust funds and inheritances we'd set aside for our ungrateful children and blow it on cruises, booze, and anything that can harm the environment.

But seriously, this sucks. And the following generations don't give a damn anymore.

They're too busy playing victims and blaming my generation for all their problems while they're on their phones sipping vegan soy mocha-latte'.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Yeah, but just wondering if everyone chipped in for a cleaning person twice a week that may be an affordable solution. But, yeah, a hoarder or thief or worse - out they go - next. And as to not being able to look after an elderly person any more, well this is where government needs to step up with programs whereby subsidized personal care workers can come into the home and do what is needed.

I think it could work well if the old were healthy, and all of the same beliefs/character.
That’s the problem, most old people have a lot of issues, be it health/mobility, family drama, money issues.

A lot of the old homeless have mental illness, substance abuse problems (sometimes stemmed from medical issues).

We got lost in Orlando one time and made a wrong, very oh so wrong turn.
It was an abandoned area filled to the brim with homeless. Many were naked. I remember seeing an old man with no legs, laying on the curb half naked. I’m normally one with a soft heart to help, but there were soooo many of them all strung out, it looked like a real life zombie movie.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Maybe some elderly are strung out when one's pain is intolerable is their only option (?)

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...#:~:text=Average%20out%2Dof%2Dpocket%20price,analgesic%20prescription%2C%20depending%20on%20medic ation.
edit on q00000006930America/Chicago0505America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

As a Boomer, I suggest that we use the trust funds and inheritances we'd set aside for our ungrateful children and blow it on cruises, booze, and anything that can harm the environment.

But seriously, this sucks. And the following generations don't give a damn anymore.

They're too busy playing victims and blaming my generation for all their problems while they're on their phones sipping vegan soy mocha-latte'.

Not my original idea, but I’ll add on to it…….
Picture this.

We take old abandoned malls. We make those into retirement homes.

Here’s my add ons-
We have giant lan parties and us mIRC, drink coke from glass bottles, play oldies from the 80’s.
In the cafeteria we will be served school square pizza, orange Julias, and McDonald’s pies fried in beef tallow and listen to boom boxes and walkmans.
Instead of Anchor stores, we will have a grocery store, an urgent care, and a blockbuster. What more could we need?

There will be a moat built around the mall and one road in. The road only fits one car that uses stick shift with no GPS.
This will prevent any Millennials from sneaking in. 🤣

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: JAGStorm

Maybe some elderly are strung out when one's pain is intolerable is their only option (?)

No doubt. Our medical system has failed and there are many reasons for homelessness.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Not my original idea, but I’ll add on to it…….
Picture this.

We take old abandoned malls. We make those into retirement homes.

Here’s my add ons-
We have giant lan parties and us mIRC, drink coke from glass bottles, play oldies from the 80’s.
In the cafeteria we will be served school square pizza, orange Julias, and McDonald’s pies fried in beef tallow and listen to boom boxes and walkmans.
Instead of Anchor stores, we will have a grocery store, an urgent care, and a blockbuster. What more could we need?

There will be a moat built around the mall and one road in. The road only fits one car that uses stick shift with no GPS.
This will prevent any Millennials from sneaking in. 🤣

Millennials can swim the moat and scale walls.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So just euthanize the elderly because they can't pay rent?

No! Personal choice situation, like in the movie Soylent Green, but not tied in with food industry.

edit on 13-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join