It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who repeatedly failed to pass teachers' exam gets over $2M for failing to pass

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

originally posted by: EternalShadow

One part from the OP that needs to be highlighted

Fifty three percent of black applicants passed the test and 50 percent of Latinos. Ninety percent of white applicants passed

Pass Rate

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

Conclusion

The test is discriminatory and the whole thing is just racism.

Why?

Because you and others are making it about race, that's why!

How about let's add in a factor like , oOoOO idk ....how about 'intellectual capacity' for starters. If you want to pull the race card then pull up the graduation rates, teen pregnancy and crime stats. Not to mention attendance, class disruptions and violence, and the disciplinary actions taken.

I'll wait...

I didn't!
The lawyers did and the judge went along and decided the case on the basis of race. It's a race discrimination case btw

Okay, so excluding yourself if that helps, my position still stands.🤷🏻

What about my comment leads you to believe that I need to be aware that it's a 'race discrimination case btw'?

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Oh stop, your killing me .....

There's no way this is my timeline.

I wonder what teachers that worked hard for 20+ years feel about this ...lol

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   
So if these are the pass rates...

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

That means we take 193/300 and get 64%.

So, the average passing rate was 64% of applicants. They miss by 10% and it is....racist? Maybe they were using new math.

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

5/3 + 5/0 - 9 = Racism

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

So, the average passing rate was 64% of applicants. They miss by 10% and it is....racist? Maybe they were using new math.

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

5/3 + 5/0 - 9 = Racism

The point made was the big discrepancy between black-latinos and white applicants.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Fifty three percent of black applicants passed the test and 50 percent of Latinos. Ninety percent of white applicants passed

Pass Rate

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

Conclusion

Why?

How about let's add in a factor like , oOoOO idk ....how about 'intellectual capacity' for starters. If you want to pull the race card then pull up the graduation rates, teen pregnancy and crime stats. Not to mention attendance, class disruptions and violence, and the disciplinary actions taken.

I'll wait...

I didn't!
The lawyers did and the judge went along and decided the case on the basis of race. It's a race discrimination case btw

What about my comment leads you to believe that I need to be aware that it's a 'race discrimination case btw'?

I think from the comments made everyone feels it's ridiculous to claim racism as an excuse for academic failure.

You said I made it a 'race' issue. But race was the core of this case.

(post by MaximusParvus removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stonewaller
a reply to: AlienBorg

Typical response of the unimaginative.

Oh you mean how they immediately concluded racisms instead of intelligence/skill based ?

(post by MaximusParvus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I wonder how much of a cut Bill DeBlasio and that judge got? This sounds like another money laundering sceme.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Pass Rate

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

Conclusion

Why?

I'll wait...
Facts. Not racism/feelings. Simple as that. If they had included Asians in there it would have been higher than 90% pass rate. I'm white btw, I have no problem with saying that. People are being too precious

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: gortex

Oh stop, your killing me .....

There's no way this is my timeline.

I wonder what teachers that worked hard for 20+ years feel about this ...lol
That it's their 'white privilige'

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Pass Rate

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

Conclusion

Why?

I'll wait...

I didn't!

I think from the comments made everyone feels it's ridiculous to claim racism as an excuse for academic failure.

You said I made it a 'race' issue. But race was the core of this case.

I think the way you stated the Conclusion
made the statement possessive so I attributed it to being your conclusion. My bad. I apologize.

edit on 7/22/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

Black applicants 53%
Latino applicants 50%
White applicants 90%

5/3 + 5/0 - 9 = Racism

Assuming most actually come from NYC what was the difference in the test that, let's say, made it easier for Whites to pass? Are there questions that only white people would know the answer to if we were talking mainly about teaching fundamentals?

I would love to deep dive into this and look at the education levels, where/how people got their degree, or even have a teaching degree. Actually do an audit on the test like most places do. Look for questions most get wrong or right, look for questions most minorities get wrong etc., and then adjust the test if needed based on data. Have they been using the same test for 40 years...lol Finally look at the different preparations people were doing that passed and those who failed. We are talking about an educational system where all of this should be meat and potatoes for them to do.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am trying to find the test but no luck yet. If anyone has the slightest idea what kind of test this was and if we can find it somewhere then it will be very interesting to have a look at and possibly attempt to answer the questions.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   

redstate.com... -n778591

Herman Grim is about to retire. He’s a rich man. At 64, he’s at the age where most Americans think about retirement and contemplate what to do next. Grim is about to bank $2,055,383 and he didn’t need to work for it; in fact, he did just the opposite. All Herman needed to do was fail. He was good at that. He failed a lot. Over and over, and over and over.

Grim was one of an estimated 5,200 people who took the test to become New York City teachers and never passed. In Grim’s case, he took it multiple times and repeatedly flunked. He was tutored and still never passed. He read prep books and couldn’t pass the test. Instead of it being a “Herman Grim problem,” it was a race problem.

Maybe Grim just wasn’t cut out to be a teacher? Maybe he lacked the intellect to be a teacher. Nah. It was racism. Lawyers saw a massive payday and oh boy, did it pay off. For Grim and the lawyers. Attorneys swooped in and filed a class action lawsuit claiming the test was discriminatory. New York settled the case in the waning days of former Mayor Bill DeBlasio’s administration and agreed to a $1.8 billion dollar payout. Billion. With a “B.” It is the largest settlement in the city’s history, and Grim is standing on the peak of that pile of money. Herman got the largest settlement because he was the most prolific failure.

Between 1994 and 2014, thousands of applicants failed to pass the teachers’ exam. The lawsuit alleged that the test was discriminatory because a “disparate” percentage of blacks and Latinos did not pass the test.

Fifty three percent of black applicants passed the test and 50 percent of Latinos. Ninety percent of white applicants passed. Kimba Woods, a federal court judge known as the “Love Judge” for multiple divorces and breaking up a marriage, as well as awful jurisprudence, found that requiring applicants to pass a Liberal Arts and Sciences Test to teach liberal art and science violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Wood said it was discriminatory because it was not an indicator of being a good teacher. The case passed through several other courtrooms with rulings in the city’s favor, but eventually, outgoing Mayor DeBlasio agreed to the settlement. Not surprising. Mayor Bill would find racism in a glass of milk, but he was the mayor, so pay up taxpayers.

So Grim was awarded over $2M for failing the test required to become a teacher. And he failed it again and again, a number of times. What was the response by lawyers? well..racism of course! The test was discriminatory because there was a discrepancy in the pass rate between white, black, and latino applicants.

The payout is $1.8B (!!!), largest payout in history for New York, with $43M going to lawyers and the rest to those who failed the test! Grim got the largest sum of đź’° according to the article.

Most likely Grim wasn't suitable to become a teacher and work with kids and not everyone is fit to be a teacher. That's probably true for thousands of others who failed the test again and again. But failing the same test again and again and then justify your failure on racism, inequality, discrimination, it shows society's absurd state of affairs.

i am confident he will do the moral thing and re invest his compensation in edcuation resources for the next generation of pupils commited to graduation and achievement

instead of converting to extravagant lifestyle while espousing virtue and equality

very confident in his leadership qualities and strength of character

edit on 22-7-2023 by SigmaXSquared because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SigmaXSquared

redstate.com... -n778591

Herman Grim is about to retire. He’s a rich man. At 64, he’s at the age where most Americans think about retirement and contemplate what to do next. Grim is about to bank $2,055,383 and he didn’t need to work for it; in fact, he did just the opposite. All Herman needed to do was fail. He was good at that. He failed a lot. Over and over, and over and over.

Grim was one of an estimated 5,200 people who took the test to become New York City teachers and never passed. In Grim’s case, he took it multiple times and repeatedly flunked. He was tutored and still never passed. He read prep books and couldn’t pass the test. Instead of it being a “Herman Grim problem,” it was a race problem.

Maybe Grim just wasn’t cut out to be a teacher? Maybe he lacked the intellect to be a teacher. Nah. It was racism. Lawyers saw a massive payday and oh boy, did it pay off. For Grim and the lawyers. Attorneys swooped in and filed a class action lawsuit claiming the test was discriminatory. New York settled the case in the waning days of former Mayor Bill DeBlasio’s administration and agreed to a $1.8 billion dollar payout. Billion. With a “B.” It is the largest settlement in the city’s history, and Grim is standing on the peak of that pile of money. Herman got the largest settlement because he was the most prolific failure.

Between 1994 and 2014, thousands of applicants failed to pass the teachers’ exam. The lawsuit alleged that the test was discriminatory because a “disparate” percentage of blacks and Latinos did not pass the test.

Fifty three percent of black applicants passed the test and 50 percent of Latinos. Ninety percent of white applicants passed. Kimba Woods, a federal court judge known as the “Love Judge” for multiple divorces and breaking up a marriage, as well as awful jurisprudence, found that requiring applicants to pass a Liberal Arts and Sciences Test to teach liberal art and science violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Wood said it was discriminatory because it was not an indicator of being a good teacher. The case passed through several other courtrooms with rulings in the city’s favor, but eventually, outgoing Mayor DeBlasio agreed to the settlement. Not surprising. Mayor Bill would find racism in a glass of milk, but he was the mayor, so pay up taxpayers.

So Grim was awarded over $2M for failing the test required to become a teacher. And he failed it again and again, a number of times. What was the response by lawyers? well..racism of course! The test was discriminatory because there was a discrepancy in the pass rate between white, black, and latino applicants.

The payout is $1.8B (!!!), largest payout in history for New York, with $43M going to lawyers and the rest to those who failed the test! Grim got the largest sum of đź’° according to the article.

Most likely Grim wasn't suitable to become a teacher and work with kids and not everyone is fit to be a teacher. That's probably true for thousands of others who failed the test again and again. But failing the same test again and again and then justify your failure on racism, inequality, discrimination, it shows society's absurd state of affairs.

i am confident he will do the moral thing and re invest his compensation in edcuation resources for the next generation of pupils commited to graduation and achievement

instead of converting to extravagant lifestyle while espousing virtue and equality

very confident in his leadership qualities and strength of character

I strongly agree with you and can see this happening!

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:06 PM
link   

<< 1    3 >>

join