It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The English Language is Dead

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FatherLukeDuke Sorry but not a boomer. Try GenX but sure, make assumptions. That usually works well for people. And butchering the language does not mean its alive. Its not moving towards something better. its moving towards garbage. Its degrading. That is not a good thing.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Two English phrases almost always used incorrectly... From The person on the street, all the way up to academics and journalists...

All but certain

I could care less

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The same is happening in France and many European countries it is not just US and UK,
I have lived in Europe the last 8 year's and France is the worst in regards to lazy youth I hear it all the time abrivated words maybe because Rap and Hip Hop is the main music you hear. Especially in the immagrant Getto areas, it is the music you hear the most playing.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Cybpax

Parlez vous franglais?

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTardis
I am not sure if this is just a US problem or worldwide and I don't know if it can be more contributed to kids listening to ghetto music and idolizing the ghetto "gansta" lifestyle or if this can be attributed to texting and this entire generation of kids growing up with a smartphone in their hands but with that said is anyone else completely sick of words like "tryna" "finna" "bouta" and every other strange lazy contraction they can make. These kids use them as real words and it seems like every meme I see on social media was written by someone using ebonics. Is it so hard to use the English langues the way it was intended? And done even get me started on "sale", "sail" and "sell". I am no English teacher and I did go to public schools but this is getting out of hand.
What you are describing sounds like a very much living language. Growing, evolving, meeting the communication needs of our times. Would you prefer we all use ye olde English?

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTardis
a reply to: FatherLukeDuke Sorry but not a boomer. Try GenX but sure, make assumptions. That usually works well for people. And butchering the language does not mean its alive. Its not moving towards something better. its moving towards garbage. Its degrading. That is not a good thing.

Ah, missed this post. Yes, you would I see. Sorry for an unneeded question.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Thanks for that; This is what sticks out the most:

We have lost both the wealth and the wisdom, because we would not incline our hearts after their example.

...How some things just haven't changed.

When I see anti-nationalist & anti-culturalists and hear the preaching of oneness and we are one people... I just see us all eventually looking like what get called: Alien grays... in such an agenda; Where there is no diversity or culture in the human population just humans? I think on a subconscious level; We humans already know that and fight that human conceptual agenda(making the alien gray an archon) in order to keep our cultures and diversity; But in the name and agenda of peace? Act like that's not what is wanted; Leading to mistrust and social issues. Where the honesty of: No; I love my country and culture no different than you love yours... Even if it's the same country and different culture; Though the differences are obvious and that's OK and are a very good thing; Whether it's thought of as being politically correct or not.

Shining people on isn't a cool thing; It's a disrespectful thing... all that does is make entire populations passive aggressive against each other.

edit on 21-7-2023 by Crowfoot because: clarity

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: TheTardis

Change happens. A decade or more in Florida, in certain counties, proficiency in Spanish is required to get a government job. That's soon going to be the case in Texas and I foresee the day when it's a requirement for a job with the US government.

And yea, standard "English" is probably dying out with a majority of the US population being replaced with trash English/Ebonics and Spanish.

There's a reason for this. You'll observe that some cultures are Dominant and some cultures are "sub-dominant". Spanish speaking cultures are Dominant in the US. English only speakers in the US are sub-dominant and as well, their fertility rate is far below replacement level and the Birth/Death rate is inverted meaning more die off each year than are born.

You do the maths.

It's rather rich that a person complaining about the "death" of English misuses the word "yea" for "yeah". Talk about trash English.

As for Spanish speaking cultures being dominant in the US, tell that to all the Spanish-speaking menial workers in the US. Definitely most politicians and CEO's are Spanish speaking, huh? And if you mean dominant as in the largest, then English-only speakers is still the single largest demographic group in the US, treating each bilingual or multilingual minority as separate and distinct. Shows how much validity there is to your argument.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

That’s actually more of a Gullah influence than French. The Gullah-Geechee had a HUGE influence in the Deep South, particularly along the east coast from North Carolina down here to NE Florida where I am. The “Gullah-Geechee corridor” actually ends here in St. Augustine, FL where I am. There are still a few OLD old timers (90+ years of age) that you can hear the heavy Gullah dialect with.

“Gwine” = Going. “Utter” = other. “Roosty” = Blue Crab.

I got to know a few of the last generation when I first entered the work force in my teens about 30 years ago. Went on to know a few of them quite well when I was a firefighter/paramedic. Met one amazing woman in 1997 who was 109 years old and still doing her daily chores around the house. She taught me a lot about her parents, who were both born on rice plantations in South Carolina and were descended from the Gullah people of West Africa.

The native African dialects were mixed up with the Scots Irish spoken by the white sharecroppers who worked the fields seasonally with the slaves and over the years, that European dialect was melded with the African patois and ultimately morphed into the “Ebonics” so many white folks loathe today. The irony being, of course, that the primary source of Ebonics was Western European English with a smattering of west African and Portuguese.

Languages evolve and they die. We are actually in a unique situation here where we can see the “classical” English language changing in front of our eyes at an alarming pace. We are in a position many others have failed to recognize before it was too late.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MrInquisitive

By dominant I mean greater cultural strength.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately, you are incorrect. English being my 4th of more languages, I have seen some aspects of various languages, and in truth of the concept of language itself. Language changes over time, words mean what ever people want them to and dictionaries are updated to reflect this. Have you ever called and interesting song "cool"? Cool means of low temperature, not interesting and not applied to an abstract concept. Habe you used the word "suffer" to mean anything having to do with pain or enduring? It means to allow something, often good things. I'll show you what your post would have looked like years ago:

"I am not sure if 't be true this is just a us problem 'r w'rldwide and i knoweth not if 't be true t can beest m're did contribute to kids listening to ghetto music and idolizing the ghetto "gansta" lifestyle 'r if 't be true this can beest attribut'd to texting and this entire gen'ration of kids growing up with a smartphone in their hands but with yond hath said is anyone else completely sick of w'rds liketh "tryna" "finna" "bouta" and ev'ry oth'r strange distemperate contraction those gents can maketh. These kids useth those folk as real w'rds and t seemeth liketh ev'ry meme i seeth on social media wast writ by someone using ebonics. Is't so hard to useth the english langues the way t wast intended? and done coequal receiveth me did start on "sale", "sail" and "sell". I am nay english teachest'r and i didst wend to public schools but this is getting out of handeth"

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

There was a popular term for that back in the 80s 90s: Ebonics. There were jokes but academia actually treated it seriously.

It fell out of fashion I guess. To busy tryna to learn Spanish and speak English.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

No, Mr. Carp, you hablo Spanglish?

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

We could be speaking Latin? Greek? Aramaic? Hebrew? Arabic? Mandarin?

Where do we start with a standard common language and then fix it in time. We don't want any degraded language!

ETA: I do however, strongly object to redefining common language to suit political ends. There is way to much of that going on.
edit on 7/23/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

Oi, Garcon! Necesito una birra.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Birria yum Had some last week! Not even kidding.

For those of you that dont know (its GOAT). And it's delicious! Served at my son's wedding. Roasted in a hole in the ground!

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

I do a mean Curry Goat. NB, it's Jamaican so don't call it Goat Curry!

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: Cybpax

Parlez vous franglais?

Je nais dinnae' ken pas, pal.

(French/Scots)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Belāda mē ?

posted on Aug, 3 2023 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Th' kingſ Saxọ̄̆nlī intransiciọ̄n nōn-ọ̄ther dēd. LonȜ lātī̆f th' kingſ Saxọ̄̆nlī !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join