It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The English Language is Dead

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: TheTardis

Lots of different ways of speaking English here in the UK, for instance here in the South West, me Babbers:

youtu.be...

hear a south country accent at the turn of the century and it'll sound similar to a west country one..

like the victorians the edwardians loved to collect provincial language's.. we now speak a version of estray english with local words for topographical, nature and animals thrown in to confuse..

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw

originally posted by: DAVID64

Well, I'm Southern so we been sayin' that for a long time.

I'm tryna to get these chores done, cause we fittin go fishin'. I'm bouta tared of these durn kids.

the southern african american dialect was seen to be similar to that of my grandparents generation, the version that has little intrusion of french that converts dis to this from dat to that etc..

LOL, I was born in Yorkshire. I’m not sure that they even understand each other

I think there’s a difference between localized dialects and what’s going on now because of the internet.

Hey, look at the bright side, languages usually last longer than the civilizations that spawned them.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Init

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuffx2

originally posted by: nickyw

originally posted by: DAVID64

Well, I'm Southern so we been sayin' that for a long time.

I'm tryna to get these chores done, cause we fittin go fishin'. I'm bouta tared of these durn kids.

the southern african american dialect was seen to be similar to that of my grandparents generation, the version that has little intrusion of french that converts dis to this from dat to that etc..

LOL, I was born in Yorkshire. I’m not sure that they even understand each other

I think there’s a difference between localized dialects and what’s going on now because of the internet.

Hey, look at the bright side, languages usually last longer than the civilizations that spawned them.

the change in 100 years of my own dialect from something sounding like a west country copy of londonised english is something that fascinates me..

i love how we pivot to and fro on thesec things on laquage, fables art and architecture.. perhaps its more pronounced here as it attracts all the *cough cough* great and good from london seeking grace and favors,

as you say there is always a bright side..

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

We have a lot of weekenders from London down here in rural Wiltshire. A lot of plus four wearing shooting types.

In local pub you can't hear yourself think because they bray at each other at the top of their voices.

Total knobheads.

Fortunately they have moved on to another pub.

Quite why they have to wear fancy dress to shoot stupid bloody Pheasants is beyond me.

Never seen so many Range Rovers outside of Knightsbridge.

Hooray Henrys.

Gaaaaah!!!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Hwæt. We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning

That is English in its original form. As you can see, what we speak and write today is drastically different. The language is constantly evolving and every generation introduces their own slang.

But don't let those facts get it the way our your poorly veiled racism.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well I went to purchase a new phone today in the same store that my husband bought his a year or so ago.
The salesperson only spoke spanish, so I went down the road to the next store.
This was a larger phone store, with the sign on the door claiming to be open at 10:00 a.m. every morning, but the door was locked. The gentleman inside the store behind the counter just shook his head, guess he wasn't opening even though it was 10:30.
And this is just a few blocks from where we live, how things have changed in a very short time.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Eye kin reed n right inn foordeen langwitches, butt aye kin reen n right da bes inn inglitch !

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The English language is an ongoing thing. Hence the Oxford English Dictionary (the go to for English words) are adding new words every year. But the OP is talking about is not new words in regular use it is slang, a word made up by people that don't want other people to understand, only their select little group. One must understand that English is the international language of pilots, so can any of you imagine a pilot coming into land start using slang words.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The English language has always been fluid and continuously evolves and changes.
There are literally dozens upon dozens of accents and dialects just here in the UK alone.

I can tell the difference in someone's accent from literally 10 miles up the road from me, 10 miles down the road from me and 15 miles to the east. All are different and immediately reveal where a person comes from.

Grammatically correct written English is hardly representative of how the vast majority of natural-born English speaking people actually speak in real life.
edit on 20/7/23 by Freeborn because: Edit out smiley emoji, haven't got a scooby how it got in there!

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue on BBC R4 used to do New Meanings for Old Words round.

Eg:

Countryside - to kill Piers Morgan.

#zhu - One with no Penguins.

Etc.

Works better on radio.....

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Seems that breed of dog gets censored!

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Countryside - to kill Piers Morgan.

🤣🤣🤣

I might just steal that.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Seems that breed of dog gets censored!

Try to work S#horpe into a post, ATS auto-censors it.
Understandable, it is a #hole!

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Think outside the box

warning incoming.....

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Also the dozens (hundreds?) of acronyms that are used by the same folks, and people like me have no idea what they mean/have to look them up like "tfw" (that feeling when) "irl" (in real life) etc.

My biggest pet peeve is similar to yours, only that lots of people are now making up acronyms that are already in use. It's very confusing to me when somebody uses an acronym like "DEI," to mean something about "diversity," and not what it's creator meant it to be. As in "Dale Earnhardt, Inc." Others that are confusing are:

"ATM" - not sure what it means when most people use it here on ATS, but I certainly can recognize an "Automatic Teller Machine" when I see one.

Another one I see on a lot of internet sell pages is "ISO." My having been a professional photographer since the 1970s, and having seen film speed rating systems adjust from "ASA" to "ISO," "ISO" to me means film speed. So I saw some user on a sell page use "ISO." My mind immediately jumped to film when I saw "ISO." So I asked them what speeds of film did they have for sale? (I'm always buying more film and have over 300 rolls of it in my freezer.) They got mad and said "I didn't have to use that term if I didn't like it." I fired right back with "It's not my usage that bothers me, it's your incorrect usage of it that is confusing, and it means something other than what you think it means." People are introducing too much confusion because they're too lazy to type out the real words so that what they're saying can be understood by the people their words are directed to.

There are a lot of others, but I think you get the idea of what I mean.

I guess it boils down to this: It's a sure sign when you see an acronym or an abbreviation that people who use them are probably lazy or have substandard typing abilities and they do that to cover it up. If you're going to use typing with which to communicate to others, first learn how to do it properly. And while you're at it, learn proper spelling and grammar like the OP suggested. After all, you people who are guilty of this, (and you know who you are....), don't you think your opinion matters enough so that people should be able to fully understand what your opinion actually is? My opinion, of course, won't be very popular and of course I know why.

TCB

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The only thing that's really irritated me with English recently is everyone using the word literally in every sentence.

I hear it all the time it's as overused as people saying "cap" on youtube

its funny that you think people who speak in colloquialism in various dialects abusing English is annoying
well in Glasgow there is an accent called glasgow uni accent
what an accent hahaha

hearing students in this accent talkin absolute pish its funny because they speak like a Scottish person doing their best English on the tv its so weird.

like your business phone voice but all the time.

My favourite accents are probably Irish southern and then people from either Yorkshire or Newcastle I love doing accents

edit on 20-7-2023 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   
AI will be able to read , speak , and write in any language or dialect with any voice soon and may design its own language to speak to other AI. Peoples vocabulary seems to be lacking lately.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I screw up homophones. There, their, they're, here, hear, hare, hair. Use "a" instead of "e" in some words. Also invented a few of my own grammar rules, like omitting commas and using them wrong. So much OCD therein.

But English just split into variants. Every language morphs into different versions of itself.

I speak Spanish too. Northwestern Mexico Spanish. I have been told that the Northern Baja/California version is an absolute gutter variant. Improper verbs an so on. Compared to European Spanish it's simpler and more peasant-like.

English is kinda doing the same thing.

You may call it "Ghetto language" but ebonics has a legitimate claim as a variant of English. It literally has grammar in its proper english lack of grammar.

Like dropping the tense verb in the third person singular, swapping out determiners, and altered suffixes. Also irregular verbs in the 2nd person, and pretty much anywhere is and are can be used.

Proper english:

"The fox is sly"
"He is a gangster"
"You are crazy"

Ebonic varient:

"That fox sly"
"He gangsta"
"you crazy"

Sometimes they revert to the irregular verb, be, and use it instead.

"That fox be sly"
"He be gangsta"
"You be crazy"

I think it's root is largely through a historical lack of education, not caring it was improper for prideful reasons, longstanding second class status, and often coming from a linguistic creole background, or romance influenced. Know very little French or creole, but Spanish also drops "is". Me llamo [nombre] instead of me llamo es [nombre]. It's redundant.

Ghetto language arose and developed along typical etymological lines and is a legitimate varient of english. Similar in its "lower class" differences as Mexico Spanish and Spain Spanish.

Kids just idolize the syntax of this variant and use buzzwords and grammar fraudulently. It's cool. Because their favorite musicians and athletes speak it, so will they. And an english variant will define itself with
edit on 20-7-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   

The English language is just going back to its roots. All languages are created this way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join