It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana Bill 235. Scientific Fact Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sigh. So Montana Senate Bill 235, The scientific fact Bill, would establish science instruction requirements for schools. Not a big deal right? Unfortunately, yes.

The bill would prohibit teaching anything not considered scientific fact. SB 235 defines “scientific fact” as an “indisputable and repeatable observation of a natural phenomenon.”

“may not include subject matter that is not scientific fact.” It would also have school boards review all science materials to be sure they only use “scientific fact” in a “strictly enforced and narrowly interpreted” fashion.

So, evolution, theory of relativity, cell theory, gravity, atomic theory,plate tectonics? An "indisputable and repeatable observation of a natural phenomenon.” No. These are theories, not proven indisputable facts. So these would not be taught. Leaving Montana high schoolers far behind other students, especially those interested in STEM careers. Parents will also be able to report teachers regarding this in 2025.

So, schools are banning accurate history to avoid upsetting a child, banning books and now basically banning science? The younger generation will be doomed to ignorance.
Senate Bill 235
edit on 8-2-2023 by frogs453 because: Fixed link

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

it's just a shame that something like this even has to be brought up. But when you have our educational institutions teaching children that Biology isn't really true, and feelings are the true measure brought us to this point. But your examples are good and show this has faults that are prohibitive, much like the entire gender fiasco.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

it's just a shame that something like this even has to be brought up. But when you have our educational institutions teaching children that Biology isn't really true, and feelings are the true measure brought us to this point. But your examples are good and show this has faults that are prohibitive, much like the entire gender fiasco.

I haven't heard of any examples of science classes in Montana teaching that biology is wrong though.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Scientific Fact may not mean what you think it means.
Through repeatable observation something may be considered a scientific fact although in may not, in fact, be true.
I will also say that many things taught as scientific fact actually aren't.
Like evolution.
Macro evolution in particular.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

But when you have our educational institutions teaching children that Biology isn't really true

Is that what you think this bill is all about, keeping transgender kids off of sports teams?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

Scientists and science teachers are opposing the bill, for the reasons I stated. These examples could not be taught.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Oh dear. That's bad. Real bad.

Schools should of course make very clear the difference between proven scientific fact and scientific theory... but science isn't complete without theories and hypotheses. It's the job of science to ask "what if" and then research and experiment and test to find and prove theories.

Maybe the schools can teach that in fact, this, that and the other theories are being studied....
edit on 8-2-2023 by Boadicea because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

But when you have our educational institutions teaching children that Biology isn't really true

Is that what you think this bill is all about, keeping transgender kids off of sports teams?

That's a stretch. I took it to mean that schools will be prevented from confusing kids about gender in the first place. Maybe some kids do get confused but that's not the school's business.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Literally nothing is a scientific fact. The most basic laws of physics were thought to be concrete for hundreds of years until the discovery of quantum mechanics turned them on their head.

XL5

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Cell theory was theory until they made the microscope and proved that cells exist.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It's very obviously about transcendental music appreciation in a vacuum.

The little man that lives in your head must be a hoot.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

I haven't heard of any examples of science classes in Montana teaching that biology is wrong though.

I don't live there, nor go to school there, but with the current problems of defining what a "woman" actually is, and academics teaching children that man can get pregnant, and women can have a penis sure doesn't sound like the biology I was taught. If you doubt me, go to google and ask if a man can get pregnant.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Gender and biology are two different things. Gender identity puts girls in pink and boys in blue.

Cell theory is biology, but now you can't teach that and about the magic of DNA in public schools in Montana.

Cell Theory
Scientists once thought that life spontaneously arose from nonliving things. Thanks to experimentation and the invention of the microscope, it is now known that life comes from preexisting life and that cells come from preexisting cells.

These findings led to the formation of the modern cell theory, which has three main additions: first, that DNA is passed between cells during cell division; second, that the cells of all organisms within a similar species are mostly the same, both structurally and chemically; and finally, that energy flow occurs within cells.

education.nationalgeographic.org...

edit on 8-2-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Cell theory is biology, but now you can't teach that and about the magic of DNA in public schools in Montana.

so this bill has already passed and is now law?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

I don't live there, nor go to school there, but with the current problems of defining what a "woman" actually is, and academics teaching children that man can get pregnant, and women can have a penis sure doesn't sound like the biology I was taught. If you doubt me, go to google and ask if a man can get pregnant.

Again, I cannot find any reports that science teachers in Montana are teaching that men can be pregnant.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

So you wouldn't have any issue if they taught the demonstrable physiological differences between transgender and cisgender individuals in biology class?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Literally nothing is a scientific fact. The most basic laws of physics were thought to be concrete for hundreds of years until the discovery of quantum mechanics turned them on their head.

Unless it's about covid vaccines not causing side effects. Then it's scientific fact.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Some teachers will be planning exit strategies soon 🤣

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Fact vs Speculation and/or wild ass theories and nut opinions 😀

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Theory of relativity or gravity is "wild or nut opinions"?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join