It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading the Bible in public is “no longer appropriate in modern society,” according to CPS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: andy06shake

No we don't want trans to read from their bibles either, so no more reading books in the streets, except Harry Potter...

Theis whole thing reminds me of this other story. I was Christian once. I know how arrogant they can be.

The Truth About Phyllis Burgess

There’s more to the story of Phylliss Burgess, 69, the “Styrofoam Cross Lady” that is currently the darling of Christianist websites after her cross was ripped from her hands and stomped during a Prop 8 rally in Palm Springs. If you buy the story being told on right-wing sites, Burgesss is a frail, elderly, innocent victim of “gay fascists.”

At City Hall a woman with a huge styrofoam cross appeared screaming about YES on 8 at the back of the crowd of NO on 8 supporters –their rally. She wanted to get to where the speakers were up front and I saw her knock a disabled man, a NO on 8 supporter to the ground, screaming, “Get out of my way!”. People in the crowd around her tore away her cross and threw it to the ground and began pushing her. Local CBS channel 2 and KMIR channel 6 videotaped the woman being shoved and then interviewed her, ignoring the poor disabled man who was attacked first. Later after all of the rally, march and protest were over I watched the news which headlined this as “Gay Protest Turns Violent!”

www.joemygod.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

It is sad how the original Biblical text has been bastardized through the ages. Here is the original:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 in the KJV (we’ll get to the NIV momentarily) reads:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate [μαλακοὶς], nor abusers of themselves with mankind [ἀρσενοκοῖται], 1Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

www.patheos.com...

Is it no wonder people reading from their 'chosen' version to suit their bias should do it in their own church with their own like-minded people? And the term 'nor revilers', in my own interpretation of the above passage, I would consider that Bible orator of passages from the Bible to suit one's agenda, as being a reviler.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

And we all know that you know everything about arrogance.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I too know the arrogance of people in the church, but that only makes me discerning and an independent thinker and from what I learn of Annee, her too.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

I too know the arrogance of people in the church, but that only makes me discerning and an independent thinker and from what I learn of Annee, her too.

I only speak Christian (speak what you know) -- I do not slam other beliefs I don't know -- like some on here.

And I find many Christians arrogant with an entitlement attitude.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: quintessentone

I only speak Christian (speak what you know) -- I do not slam other beliefs I don't know -- like some on here.

And I find many Christians arrogant with an entitlement attitude.

Just watch them squirm when their selected self-righteous biblical passage aimed to teach you their biased interpretations is countered with a conflicting passage directly from Jesus' teachings.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

They were lesbians he was allegedly bumping his gums about and not "trans" so there is that.

And reading is not the concern, even if that's what the title of the thread would have us believe, nor the people doing so.

Shouting obscenities and derogatory comments towards two women in the street through, especially from an older gentleman, that should know better, well that's poor form.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

The guy has no voice box. How did he read out loud at them?

they read his lips and

they were loud!

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

You probably think I am in the church.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You probably think I am in the church.

I do not think about you at all, why do you think I am thinking about you. I am thinking about all the arrogant churchgoers I had the displeasure to have had to meet.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Suppose he could have a voice prosthesis or artificial valve implanted into his neck.

After all, he somehow manages to street preach.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   

That's it, it's poor form, turn away and forget about the idiot.

I'm torn, because I think people really should be alowed to say whatever they want, however they want.
Once you introduce the line in legal terms, someone has to define what crosses it and what not.
I can't see any official body doing this in a manner that benefits the people.

I'd take the risk of having to listen to idiots on the streets over the risk of free speech being defined by government, any time, any day.

You can't shut up others because they might hurt your feelings, you can tell them how they make you feel and based on however they react, you decide how to proceed.

Why are we even vulnerable to words?

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   

That's it, it's poor form, turn away and forget about the idiot.

I'm torn, because I think people really should be alowed to say whatever they want, however they want.
Once you introduce the line in legal terms, someone has to define what crosses it and what not.
I can't see any official body doing this in a manner that benefits the people.

I'd take the risk of having to listen to idiots on the streets over the risk of free speech being defined by government, any time, any day.

You can't shut up others because they might hurt your feelings, you can tell them how they make you feel and based on however they react, you decide how to proceed.

Because words really do matter.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Stab in the dark, because some of us don't have that thick skin and take offense at the things others say and do.

Words have power through Terpene depending on how they are wielded.

Shouting at woman in a public street down to their lifestyle choice just is not the done thing in this day of age.

By my guesstimation the old fellow is long enough in the tooth to know that by now.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Sadly, the CPS has gone all "woke".

By the way, they dropped the case.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Oh.... they most certainly do.
My guess is that we are easier to control when we are not cognizant about the tools used to control us, such as language. You can't defend against something you don't understand.
Instead of giving us the education needed to be able to resist words, somone defines the words that shall not be spoken?
it sounds so medieval

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Oh.... they most certainly do.
My guess is that we are easier to control when we are not cognizant about the tools used to control us, such as language. You can't defend against something you don't understand.
Instead of giving us the education needed to be able to resist words, somone defines the words that shall not be spoken?
it sounds so medieval

You can easily get to the intent of the words, no matter how the words are delivered. That's why words matter because they usually unveil hidden truths if you can look past the smoke and mirrors.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Don't worry.

The case was dropped.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Crazy people, preaching in the street usually don't last very long. Other crazy people will punch their lights out.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 02:58 PM
link   

The irony is that the holier than thou, spiritually arrogant, think they are doing the will of God by accosting people while "witnessing"

Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? There is more hope of a fool than of him...... Proverbs 26:12.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join