It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Price Shocker

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Mine -- "Poison" -- seems to be about the same.

Might depend on the ingredients needed.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: JAGStorm

My wife has a perfume that I buy her yearly for Christmas. It's already been getting difficult to find as it was already pricey.

after reading your thread, I went and checked. Sure enough, it's now 140 from where it was usually around 70-80 bucks.

Eek.

Also just a tip. Always buy directly from the manufacturer.

Absolutely!

So many knock-offs.

While they may smell the same -- they don't perform the same.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It was an Open Question . I was Looking for Suggestions , No Insults Intended .

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

It was an Open Question . I was Looking for Suggestions , No Insults Intended .

Apologies, I took that as you were telling me to use deodorant!🤣

The problem with most affordable colognes and perfumes now is they have an element that smells exactly like bug spray. Or they start smelling very stale, kinda like a thrift store.

One thing I did find that is nice is a bar soap from Caswell Massey in the Sandalwood scent. It seems to linger and smells amazing. The soap is pretty expensive for being bar soap, but it actually has some lasting power. It is a very masculine but clean scent.

www.caswellmassey.com...
edit on 7-11-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 05:07 PM
link   

If YOU HAD NO MONEY to Afford it Because you would Rather Eat to Stay Alive , what " Household" Items " On Hand " could you use Instead ?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Price gouging is going on with everything - the greed is disgusting.
I would love to know how landlords have tripled (and more) the rents they are charging -
Apartments here that were $900 per month just a few years ago are now beyond $2,700.
I would also like to know who can afford to pay this.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   

If YOU HAD NO MONEY to Afford it Because you would Rather Eat to Stay Alive , what " Household" Items " On Hand " could you use Instead ?

Vanilla, spices, if you have a garden herbs and flowers.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Vanilla, spices, if you have a garden herbs and flowers.

Ok , that Sounds Nice Especially Vanilla Extract...

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey
Price gouging is going on with everything - the greed is disgusting.
I would love to know how landlords have tripled (and more) the rents they are charging -
Apartments here that were $900 per month just a few years ago are now beyond $2,700.
I would also like to know who can afford to pay this.

I don’t blame landlords they got massively screwed during Covid.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I very rarely wear perfume, but there is one special perfume that I really love.
It is called Shalimar. It kinda smells like an old powdery grandma, oh well, that’s what is smells like and I love it. It is one of the very perfumes that doesn’t give me an instant headache. It is not like the cheaper ones that smell like bug spray. This is the stuff that people used to wear all the time.

It is the real stuff so it’s pretty pricey. I got a bottle before Covid and it was around 150 bucks for a tiny bottle.
I’m almost out and I just looked at it and it is now $350!!!! A bottle, 1 oz!!!!!! Talk about inflation, That is a 135% increase in TWO years!
I think people are really going to be surprised when they shop for Christmas if they haven’t already.

What have you bought or shopped around for that REALLY shocked you? We’ve talked a lot about food and we all know that’s going up, so what are other non food things that just made your jaw drop?

what i find shocking is that you find it worthwhile to whine about a price of a goddamn perfume.

people can't afford to heat their own homes before winter and you think whining about perfume prices should be the topic of the day?

get a f..king grip.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Aromatics can be distilled. I have been thinking about extracting essential oils and aromatics. I have some fennel I grew and want to extract the volatile oils from it. I have a still, but it's really only good for producing methanol and ethanol, volatile oils and aromatics require a specific type of still and process I have yet to try.

But you have brought up a topic that I have not seen addressed in survival material. The human desire to have something nice like perfumes. While I have knowledge of how to make soap and paper (think TP here), the basics of hygiene, my knowledge of creating scents is lacking. I grow mints for menthol, fennel and anise for the scent of licorice and intend on extracting from those to include in the processing of my home grown tobacco, but perfume is something I hadn't really considered.

Thanks for reminding me that even in the worst of times, people want to try to look good and to smell good as well. A valuable black market product to consider for when the SHTF.
edit on 7-11-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

what i find shocking is that you find it worthwhile to whine about a price of a goddamn perfume. people can't afford to heat their own homes before winter and you think whining about perfume prices should be the topic of the day? get a f..king grip.

Don’t like it keep scrolling.

I mentioned in my OP we’ve often talked about food and necessities. I wanted to discuss other shocking price hikes for items that I nowhere claimed were necessities.
The holidays are coming around and people will still buy these things. There will always be people that struggle with heat, but then there are people that would love to have a home, and there are people that would love to have internet access etc.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Thanks for reminding me that even in the worst of times, people want to try to look good and to smell good as well. A valuable black market product to consider for when the SHTF.

Exactly, even in the worst of times, we need things to bring hope, little luxuries. If you look at decor, fashion, home goods during the Great Depression they were all very colorful. People needed little daily luxuries to cheer them up.
For some people that is a bit of alcohol, a smoke, maybe new socks. For me, a little perfume, is it so bad?

One of the things that survivalist make note of is that in dire times people need something to look forward to. Games for kids, a little extra spice for prepped foods. We can’t forget we are human, and there is more than just existing.

perfumesociety.org...

At the start of the 30s, belts may have been tightened – but perfume was a luxury many women clung to. The Stock Market crash on Wall Street in 1929 kickstarted the Great Depression in the US – but perhaps as an antidote to that doom and gloom, the fragrances launched now seemed to offer hope, and positivity, and embody thoughts of love

edit on 7-11-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Aromatics can be distilled. I have been thinking about extracting essential oils and aromatics. I have some fennel I grew and want to extract the volatile oils from it. I have a still, but it's really only good for producing methanol and ethanol, volatile oils and aromatics require a specific type of still and process I have yet to try.

Distillers are expensive if you can’t make your own but would probably pay itself off in a short time as concentrated oils are very pricy.

I have a decent crop of lavender and it dries very nicely and smells wonderful tucked in between fabric. That is one way to transfer the oils/scent. Bee Balm/Bergamot is another, jasmine is another. There is another method that people use with lilac blooms, they layer the individual buds on beeswax. It is incredibly laborious but the scent has to be out of this world.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 11:51 PM
link   

www.pacorabanne.com...

This is my signature fragrance. No matter where I go wearing it someone wants to know what it is, or at the very least tells me I smell incredible. There is also something to fragrances meshing with natural body chemistry which can make them that much more "potent" but in a good way.

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 12:37 AM
link   

if we go on parity ÂŁ$ then its around $!70 - $220 in the UK..

looks like we are back in the 70s/80s when it was cheaper to travel and buy stuff abroad we really want than it is to get it at home..

what a weird world that its cheaper at the UK most expensive store Harrods at $300.

edit on 8-11-2022 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 08:13 AM
link   

what i find shocking is that you find it worthwhile to whine about a price of a goddamn perfume. people can't afford to heat their own homes before winter and you think whining about perfume prices should be the topic of the day? get a f..king grip.

Don’t like it keep scrolling.

I mentioned in my OP we’ve often talked about food and necessities. I wanted to discuss other shocking price hikes for items that I nowhere claimed were necessities.
The holidays are coming around and people will still buy these things. There will always be people that struggle with heat, but then there are people that would love to have a home, and there are people that would love to have internet access etc.

smartphones are getting more expensive, computers are getting more expensive, everything is getting more expensive.
EVERYTHING.

do you see a new thread here about those every now and then? no. but then there's a bunch of older folks on ATS that have nothing else to do than to find a new thing to complain about on every other day, and make a thread about it.

which on its own would be innocent enough, if it wasn't so infuriating. next time title your thread "boo i can't afford my perfume anymore boo" instead of creating a clickbait for people expecting a serious discussion about the issues society is facing and instead getting thrown into a tantrum of someone so disconnected from reality to think anyone gives a sh.t about their perfume prices.

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 08:34 AM
link   

as a non American 70s child who grew up asking friends to buy and bring back cheaper goods/gifts from aboard and it looks like we are back in that space and it tells me the collapse of globalism is speeding up if the USA is now at the expensive end of the luxury goods market rather than the cheap end it was..

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw

as a non American 70s child who grew up asking friends to buy and bring back cheaper goods/gifts from aboard and it looks like we are back in that space and it tells me the collapse of globalism is speeding up if the USA is now at the expensive end of the luxury goods market rather than the cheap end it was..

Yes I remember this too, this is exactly how the black market happens.
This is how things “fall off the truck”.

People don’t just automatically stop wanting to buy those things, they find other ways!

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw

Yes I remember this too, this is exactly how the black market happens.
This is how things “fall off the truck”.

People don’t just automatically stop wanting to buy those things, they find other ways!

just wait.

once you'll have to worry about food and ammo, you'll forget about perfumes, or anything else that won't help you stay alive for that matter.

<< 1    3 >>

join