It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Price Shocker

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I very rarely wear perfume, but there is one special perfume that I really love.
It is called Shalimar. It kinda smells like an old powdery grandma, oh well, that’s what is smells like and I love it. It is one of the very perfumes that doesn’t give me an instant headache. It is not like the cheaper ones that smell like bug spray. This is the stuff that people used to wear all the time.

It is the real stuff so it’s pretty pricey. I got a bottle before Covid and it was around 150 bucks for a tiny bottle.
I’m almost out and I just looked at it and it is now $350!!!! A bottle, 1 oz!!!!!! Talk about inflation, That is a 135% increase in TWO years!
I think people are really going to be surprised when they shop for Christmas if they haven’t already.

What have you bought or shopped around for that REALLY shocked you? We’ve talked a lot about food and we all know that’s going up, so what are other non food things that just made your jaw drop?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

“I’m almost out and I just looked at it and it is now $350!!!! A bottle, 1 oz!”

This sounds like pure greed. The majority of the reason for inflation is shipping costs. How much could it possibly cost to ship a 1 oz. Bottle.

Greedy MOFO’s hopping on the inflation train. I hope you and all their other customers boycott them.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   

My wife has a perfume that I buy her yearly for Christmas. It's already been getting difficult to find as it was already pricey.

after reading your thread, I went and checked. Sure enough, it's now 140 from where it was usually around 70-80 bucks.

Eek.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

This sounds like pure greed. The majority of the reason for inflation is shipping costs. How much could it possibly cost to ship a 1 oz. Bottle. Greedy MOFO’s hopping on the inflation train. I hope you and all their other customers boycott them.

It is GREED. I know prices are up, but dang, are they up that much?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Our main company is a specialty HVAC outfit.
We deal with electric and heavy duty equipment climate control systems
Most of our customers are heavy construction, forestry and mining machines.
Thirty pounds of 134A refrigerant last year was 162$
This year it is 574$ for the same amount.
No reason given, this is what it is.
Of course the cost travels on to the customer but still.
There was no gradual increase, boom, three times the price on the next invoice.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

My wife has a perfume that I buy her yearly for Christmas. It's already been getting difficult to find as it was already pricey.

after reading your thread, I went and checked. Sure enough, it's now 140 from where it was usually around 70-80 bucks.

Eek.

Also just a tip. Always buy directly from the manufacturer. I learned the hard way even when sold in department stores it’s not the same. They have different formulas for different stores. I’m a super smeller, I can actually taste the smells. I can tell the difference instantly. The same goes for luxury hair products. Always buy from licensed salons or direct from the source. The stuff in stores is the watered down version.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: abigredneck
Our main company is a specialty HVAC outfit.
We deal with electric and heavy duty equipment climate control systems
Most of our customers are heavy construction, forestry and mining machines.
Thirty pounds of 134A refrigerant last year was 162$
This year it is 574$ for the same amount.
No reason given, this is what it is.
Of course the cost travels on to the customer but still.
There was no gradual increase, boom, three times the price on the next invoice.

The same thing happened with herbicides. Not talking about the stuff sold in big box stores. I’m talking about at farm supplies. The price quadrupled.
I know a lot of people that went without this year.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   

This doesn't rectify the inflation problem but try looking for a dupe. Many famous perfumes have been quite successfully duped to where unless you truly are a nose you aren't going to notice much difference.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO
It's not just shipping but also supply chain issues for ingredients, increase in wages, production cost increases and a whole host of things that will drive up product cost. I'm sure there is also some built in padding because people know prices are going up across the board so will pay more anyway.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

This doesn't rectify the inflation problem but try looking for a dupe. Many famous perfumes have been quite successfully duped to where unless you truly are a nose you aren't going to notice much difference.

Dupes aren’t even close for this one. For most people it would probably be ok, but like I said I’m a super smeller, so I can taste the difference.

To illustrate how sensitive my sense of smell is I was sitting in my office. I told my husband I smelled Christmas trees. I could taste it. We were inside and nothing was going on. I went to check the mail later in the day and sure enough the trash had dropped some pine clippings.
I smelled them through the air, through my door/windows! I have so many examples like this.
edit on 7-11-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My sister received a bottle of Shalimar for her birthday (7th?) and I think it lasted about 2 days leaving all of her dolls and stuffed animals drenched in the stuff. Thanks for bringing back a distant forgotten memory of my long lost sister...

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This happens because most board members and executives are never content with being rich... they have to be filthy rich to be happy.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Have you seen Macy's site, selling 3 oz Shalimar for $140?

www.macys.com... 04&m_sc=sem&m_sb=Bing&m_tp=LIA&m_ac=MSN_Bing_Beauty_PLA&m_ag=Bing_LIA_Beauty_Fragrance_Guerlain&m_cn=Bing_LIA_Beauty_Fragrance&m_pi=bi_cmp-470006120_a dg-1299623166976420_ad-81226534351113_pla-4584826057038277_dev-c_ext-_prd-8924488&prof=450&camp=6689178&kct=msn&kchid=778&criteriaid=pla-4584826057038 277&campaignid=470006120&locphy=&adgroupid=1299623166976420&cid=81226534351113&kdv=c&kext=&kpg=4584826057038277&kpid=8924488&queryStr=shalimar%201%20o z&npclid=31862d111b161c6f857d4e7869c89364&msclkid=31862d111b161c6f857d4e7869c89364

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
My sister received a bottle of Shalimar for her birthday (7th?) and I think it lasted about 2 days leaving all of her dolls and stuffed animals drenched in the stuff. Thanks for bringing back a distant forgotten memory of my long lost sister...

I’m laughing at your story, because I know those dolls and stuffed animals smelled like that for the rest of their time! Shalimar is a powerful scent and LESS is definitely more! Especially with a new bottle!

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Some of the online sites such as Free People and Anthropologie are favorites of mine, but their prices are getting out of hand. $1,000 for a coat? $600 for a leather bag? I need that to pay some bills, never mind a coat or a bag.
I shop everything, sometimes ebay or poshmark have the exact brand new item I'm looking for, at a fraction of the price.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Don't know about your area but the Hotel, and even Motel (yes, we still have those here in Texas) rates have gone through the roof. Small town north of me, busy during hunting season, or used to be, charging $150.00 a night. There's no stop lights in this town, basically only 1 Restaurant and one gas station, population 517 and basically in the middle of nowhere.

Puts a big crimp in any travel plans.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

Not the same thing,

this is the one I was referring to:

www.guerlain.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey
Some of the online sites such as Free People and Anthropologie are favorites of mine, but their prices are getting out of hand. $1,000 for a coat? $600 for a leather bag? I need that to pay some bills, never mind a coat or a bag.
I shop everything, sometimes ebay or poshmark have the exact brand new item I'm looking for, at a fraction of the price.

Clothing shoes and boots are insane. Luckily I did buy a lot of that stuff during Covid as I anticipated this happening.

Regular sweaters are going for 80 bucks and more, it’s nuts.
Good boots are 200 when they used to be around 80.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Hmm.... What other Household Items could be Used by People of Exceptional Hygiene in Place of Really Expensive Perfumes Today ? Any Guesses > ? Liquid Air Fresheners Perhaps ? Or........
edit on 7-11-2022 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Hmm.... What other Household Items could be Used by People of Exceptional Hygiene in Place of Really Expensive Perfumes Today ? Any Guesses > ? Liquid Air Fresheners Perhaps ? Or........

I have no problems with personal hygiene. I’m actually one of those people that don’t have body odor, and have dry ear wax. It’s a weird Asian gene thing.
This is not about covering odor with perfume, I hate that. This is about me liking a special product that is becoming farther and farther out of reach for most people due to outrageous costs. My example is just one, but there are a lot of things going in this direction.

<<   2  3 >>

join