It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are People Obese in America because it is Socially Acceptable

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Being obese helps truck sales.

They have to find something they can fit into.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Today it's body shaming to say a woman is fat.....
Ignoring the obvious health dangers...

Yes, much pain can follow calling a woman fat.

Always use distance to negate the first incoming strike and beware wing-women of similar stature.

If you're sat on....it's over.
edit on 14/10/2022 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   
People don't cook. They eat convenience food and too much of it. So they eat wrong. It makes them fat and instead of learning how to live better, they demand it be normalized as a beautiful lifestyle choice.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Fat shaming is pure bigotry. Same as being a racist or an antisemite.

Fat shaming does not help people lose weight and be healthier. It's just bullying for bullying's sake and the bullies who do it don't give a damn about their victims.

Those who can help are those who actually care, not the fat shamers who are no better than any other kind of bigot.

I think there are other reasons for more obesity. Fewer people do physical labor. Fewer people work. People sit in front of computers browsing or playing games instead of being active outdoors. That's the cause. Heck, we don't even see the kids outside playing anymore.

How do we go back? Stop being sedentary and go out and get the world all over you. Don't turn into yet another bigot.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

That's what people don't understand, when I sat, "Eat me", I'm bein kind and compassionate.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Here, in the UK we have a football chant aimed at players who have, ahem, put on a bit of weight:

"Who ate all the pies? Who ate all the pies? You fat ******* you fat *******, you ate all the pies".

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Agree 100% on processed meats

Sugar, vegetable oils, etc, and our portions are over the top too, and it's not just what we eat and how much we eat 24/7 when most people would be quite fine with 3 small meals and plenty of water.

70's kids ate all that crap but we were active as hell and burned it off. Now not so much.

Didn't they eliminate gym or P.E remember what that stood for?

It's not too late but turning this bloated behemoth around will take time and food and diet restrictions. Hell Ive lost lots of weight just by eating right and fasting occasionally virtually zero exercises.

It's the food it's what we eat and how much and when, the worse thing ever for me was living next to a 24-hour McDonald's. Now thank goodness I hate the stuff but for a couple of years, this late-night owl ate there all the time. Portions are out of control too, your body isn't supposed to be digesting food and processing sugary drinks 24/7.

I'm not for total bans but damn we ban other stuff that's less harmful and widespread. Eliminating sugar in sodas would be a good start if it ever came to that. I used to live off sodas now they are disgustingly sweet no wonder my liver hates me. Used to drink 4-5 Cokes a day and beer and liquor most weekends

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Here, in the UK we have a football chant aimed at players who have, ahem, put on a bit of weight:

"Who ate all the pies? Who ate all the pies? You fat ******* you fat *******, you ate all the pies".

Just saying.

I like pie.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Fat shaming is pure bigotry. Same as being a racist or an antisemite.

Fat shaming does not help people lose weight and be healthier. It's just bullying for bullying's sake and the bullies who do it don't give a damn about their victims.

Those who can help are those who actually care, not the fat shamers who are no better than any other kind of bigot.

I think there are other reasons for more obesity. Fewer people do physical labor. Fewer people work. People sit in front of computers browsing or playing games instead of being active outdoors. That's the cause. Heck, we don't even see the kids outside playing anymore.

How do we go back? Stop being sedentary and go out and get the world all over you. Don't turn into yet another bigot.

I consider it constructive criticism. Just like warning people about smoking cigarettes or eating tide pods.

You are too damned fat, you are going to get diabetes and a number of other health problems. You may want to address that crap.

Here is some help, here is stuff you can dump on vegetables to make them edible and welcome to the low carb meat and vegetable diet.

edit on 14-10-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   

But have you eaten them all?!

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Fat shaming does not help people in any way, so why do people do it? I guess it gives people a feeling of superiority and power to emotionally harm other people.

Most bullies have low self-esteem so they do it to give themselves a sense of superiority.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   

When Gazza put on a bit some naughty fans threw Mars bars at him....

That was before fat shaming became a thing, of course.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I owe the fact that I'm slim and fit to my close friend Ernie.

Ernie is a tapeworm.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I agree that the many environmental pollutants tainting our foods, water, soil, air -- everything! -- is also compromising our bodies, and weight issues are part of the problems created. I think that modern tech and lifestyle factors also contribute. On a micro level, changing one's diets to fresh, whole, raw foods to be prepared at home would be a good start. Including growing our own. But first, or at least simultaneously, on a macro level, changing how we grow, process and prep foods would be a better start.

I don't know that shaming would help anything. For every one that might be shamed into losing weight, there will be another that is driven into depressive food binging. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I think we need to focus on our food sources and choices first. Once we're all eating real healthy and nutritious food again, see where we're at, see what's taken care of itself, and focus on what's left.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can cook every single meal and still be big, exhibit A right here.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

My dad told me when he was growing up in the 30s that he had biscuits and gravy for breakfast every morning...

I was literally taking the last bite of a bowl of biscuits and gravy as I read this -- LOL!

Sausage gravy to be specific. Yum!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Today it's body shaming to say a woman is fat.....
Ignoring the obvious health dangers...

Yes, much pain can follow calling a woman fat.

Always use distance to negate the first incoming strike and beware wing-women of similar stature.

If you're sat on....it's over.

If worst comes to worst, you know you can win a footrace.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The harmful effects of fat shaming...

Instead of motivating people, fat shaming makes them feel terrible about themselves, causing them to eat more and gain more weight ...

...The harmful effects of fat shaming go beyond increased weight gain — which is serious enough.

Here are some other harmful effects supported by studies (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source):

Depression. People who are discriminated against due to weight are at a higher risk of depression and other mental issues.
Eating disorders. Fat shaming is linked to an increased risk of eating disorders, such as binge eating.
Reduced self-esteem. Fat shaming is linked to reduced self-esteem.
Others. By causing stress, weight gain, increased cortisol levels, and mental problems, weight discrimination may raise your risk of various chronic diseases.

Only bigots and bullies fat shame no matter what fake excuse they give. In fact, they are responsible for things like pushing someone into suicide, so bullying can cause fatalities. It's no joke. Hate never leads to anything good.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   
corn syrup
sugar

the two biggest weight culprits.
gotta check those labels carefully.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   
George Carlin said it best -

"People turned it into what it is today, a shopping mall, a big f***ing shopping mall, you know that's all you got that's all you've got here folks, mile after mile of mall after mall, many many malls, major malls and mini-malls, they put the mini malls in between the major malls and in between the mini malls they put the mini marts and in between the mini mart you got the car lots, gas stations, muffler shops, laundry mats, cheap hotels, fast food, joint strip clubs, and dirty bookstores. America the beautiful' one big transcontinental commercial cesspool and how do the people feel about all this how do people feel about living in a coast-to-coast shopping mall? They feel just friggin dandy!"

www.youtube.com...

I miss him dearly.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join