It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rail strike

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dizzie56
a reply to: ketsuko

Well that just sounds peachy.

Does anybody know of a way to look up exactly what is shipped via rail now a days? I know DEF is heavily reliant on rail currently and therefor the trucking industry is as well. And i know phosphorus is shipped via rail and other fertilizer components as well. What other raw/manufactured goods are shipped via rail?

I worked for the Milwaukee Road for 6 years, as a Brakeman in the early 70’s. They shipped just about everything back then, commercial goods like beer, lumber, grain, coal, iron taconite, cars, heavy machinery, coke, anything you can imagine.

Trains are excellent for cross country to major distribution hubs. Today, I would imagine it’s much the same, but with much less volume. I never understood why the railroads took a dive. Long distance point to point was more efficient, quicker, and cheaper.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Idk did I read the article wrong. It read to me like Union Pacific did it to themselves going from 12000 people to 3000 or is it covid related or something that I completely missed?

I'm hearing about shortages in all area's of employment, good jobs. One of two things is happening to cause this. We either really have a lack of humans to do these jobs or we have a lack of humans willing to do these jobs.

Who the heck wouldn't want to be a train engineer for 135k a year? You just operate a train, they'll train you, it's not some complex job. Nobody wants to do that?

Or, did all of the skilled labor get killed off by covid and now we are in this recess period.

I don't know, campfire talk, something seems really weird

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Here is how you handle a strike that can cause harm to the general public as well as threaten business all over the country.
Especially an untimely strike, where people are reeling from all the other crap that is going on.

On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, the Reagan administration fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order, and banned them from federal service for life.

It takes balls to make big decisions..... Perhaps Biden should grow a few.

edit on 15-7-2022 by charlyv because: s

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dizzie56

Grain, Ethanol, steel, vegetables, fertilizers, wood, coal just to name a few.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

I agree if I didn't like what I do so much even though I don't get paid the greatest I'd consider that job.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It sounds to me that Biden is going to allow a strike so that he can try and claim control over the rail roads... you know as a National Security issue.

That seems to be the game that keeps getting played. Run a system into the ground, claim control over it for national security reasons, and repeat.

If the government can't control it, then they screw it up to the point where it becomes useless. It's typical Trotskyism.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

the leader is destroying america

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I hope you are wrong on this
edit on 15-7-2022 by dizzie56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 06:51 AM
link   
this could be what's wrong.

but the right boxes are checked.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

No. It is some stupid efficiency thing the railroad management did. The workers do have a legit beef this time.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

No. Read the link I posted. The carriers imposed standards the did this and the remaining workers are stretched to the limits. I'm sure you've been in a position where your employer has done this - either ended up with so few workers one way or another that those of you left are working your butts off but managing, and the employer decides they like the new way because it's more cost effective to have less employees and things are "fine" ... nevermind that there's no cushion if even one or two people are out or that everyone left is working to exhaustion to make it all work.

At least, that's how it reads to me.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Topcraft

I work as a subcontractor for one of the industry leaders and like it was stated almost everything is shipped as well as having huge contracts with the military. I also know that the company I work for had a huge contract with amazon most likely dealing with some of the Intermodal yards.

I would expect large shortages of a lot f items if this isn't resolved soon. I do not watch any mainstream news channels, is this being covered by them at all?

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This soon to be strike is not going to be bidens fault.
He's just the last person to try to fix humpty Dumpty.

This has been a long time coming with railroads and the unions with both sides failing to solve the issues they face.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
It sounds to me that Biden is going to allow a strike so that he can try and claim control over the rail roads... you know as a National Security issue.

That seems to be the game that keeps getting played. Run a system into the ground, claim control over it for national security reasons, and repeat.

If the government can't control it, then they screw it up to the point where it becomes useless. It's typical Trotskyism.

interesting theory. not sure if this administration is up to that level of Machiavellianism.

I think they're a bunch of poli sci majors that have no clue what railroads do. 'don't they like take coal? ooh, evil.'
up to and including the sec trans. does he have any background in any real world stuff?

Brandon made sure that the Wilmington to DC Amtrack stayed online.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 09:44 AM
link   

What other raw/manufactured goods are shipped via rail?

Ethanol, and IIRC nearly all of it. The stuff Biden wants to increase in our fuel.

After his pipeline debacle, nothing that happens here would surprise me.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

What other raw/manufactured goods are shipped via rail?

Ethanol, and IIRC nearly all of it. The stuff Biden wants to increase in our fuel.

After his pipeline debacle, nothing that happens here would surprise me.

Don't forget the crude oil that could be in pipelines is on the rails too....lol

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: billxam
a reply to: dizzie56

Grain, Ethanol, steel, vegetables, fertilizers, wood, coal just to name a few.

OIL

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

Nope

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Pot holes. You know ... theyvwere bad in South Bend.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

So honest question. You think the biden admin is doing this on purpose? Just letting it fly and see what happens? Mayor Pete that incompetent or do you think he will try some last second fleaflicker type political play to look like a hero? Without rail this country will fall quickly.

Don't get me wrong, the workers are in the right on this one. It just seems the admin is hoping that they do strike instead of trying to make a compromise.

Actually, reading all the pages related to the issue, it's been brewing for about two years. But that's the problem.....it's been brewing for about two years and apparently the Biden's Transportation Secretary is MIA and/or doesn't pay attention AND/OR doesn't know jack about the industry and nothing is being dealt with, much less any type of offensive action being taken.

Just add another layer to that snowball to hell. When we hit, it's going to be hard and messy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join