It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You notice this at the Grocery Store

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I read a story about a man that saved his neighbors during war on just his garden. It warms my heart to read things like that and your story too. May you have endless blessings! I hope to do the same, but hope I never need to!!!!!

My dad told me he hunted and fished like daily as a kid in upper NY as that was what he liked to do. He said it was years later he learned how many people across families were being fed by him during the depression.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I read all about that. Natural eggs have a bloom that can keep them fresh for a while. For store bought they do that water glassing with lime or something, but for some reason I recall that it really isn't as safe as people believe. I personally would not trust any food preservation that I didn't do myself. I've had real food poisoning (not just from eating Taco Bell
) but real food poisoning and it was horrific. My dad had salmonela and he also really suffered from that.

Well salmonella can only be on the outside of an egg and then you would need to eat it uncooked and accidently touch salmonella on the outside if it is there and transfer it to the uncooked egg, so all good. Not floating 100% good, floating 100% bad, easy.

People who eat raw eggs in the morning have a slight chance of getting salmonella if they do not wash the outside first before cracking it open.
edit on 14-4-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: Xtrozero
Ok, I really want to know about that.
I sell my eggs from my girls for 1.00, but still end up with a lot of them.
I usually end up scrambling them, and freezing them.

Ah, its storing them in Lime. I've read about that, just haven't tried it.
Going to have to.

I think it might be different with the bloom intact, but it isn't a lot of lime in any case.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

Oh, my gosh we used to get that cheese in schools in my Island, used to come in a tin square can, also the ham too.

I used to love the powder eggs, it was cheese, ham and powder milk and eggs.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Im in TX and I notice busy grocery stores and full carts. Every single time I go. Prices are higher, but not that high. We are still lowest then many parts of the country. I left Colorado to come back to TX and EVERYTHING is cheaper here. EVERYTHING.
Also, restaurants remain busy. It is impossible to get a table on the weekend anywhere. (I am in the DFW area).
edit on 2022 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

But the red wine still cost the same.

Cheers

I really hate to do this but
There is a bible verse about that
Revelation 6:6. After describing the black horse and its rider, John hears "a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, 'A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine'" ( Revelation 6:6 ).
www.bibletools.org...

Simply, basics are expensive but luxuries will remain cheap
Sounds like a controlled famine on basics

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That was a lovely thing to do. Thank you, I needed a good dose of good news.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: visitedbythem
That Steelhead cant be beat!

I live near Portland OR and Steelhead is considered a lower class of fish here compared to Salmon, but I like it a lot more. Its a firmer meat that barbecues easier and has a lot less salmon flavor that can be strong for many with salmon.

Steelhead trout is often mistaken for salmon, as they both have bright orange-pink flesh that cooks to opaque. I like to cook it low and slow. If I barbeque it, I use indirect heat. This way the flavor stays sweet and mild. I cant stand fishy tasting fish. Wild brook trout are also pink flesh. They are small, but wonderful tasting.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Steelhead trout is often mistaken for salmon, as they both have bright orange-pink flesh that cooks to opaque. I like to cook it low and slow. If I barbeque it, I use indirect heat. This way the flavor stays sweet and mild. I cant stand fishy tasting fish. Wild brook trout are also pink flesh. They are small, but wonderful tasting.

Our Steelhead is more white/orange meat and they get up to 20 pounds. It seems fish with really firm meat taste less fishy. I can go by the Indians and buy a 20-25 pound steelhead or two at 1/2 the cost of salmon.
edit on 15-4-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I am not nosy enough to keep track of people's shopping cart levels, so I never noticed how much anyone might have there. I never noticed particularly full carts to begin with, lots of people use those small hand baskets anyway.

The prices haven't changed all that much, but I have noticed two anomalies:

1) The shortages. Noodles and other products have these 'We are sorry we can't deliver'-notices in the shelves.

2) Coffee prices are RIDICULOUS.

I know there are probably some kind of problems with coffee crops with bad weather and all, but coffee comes from all kinds of countries, you can't tell me every single country has a problem! The other point is, can't retailers and shops 'take one for the little guy' and just KEEP THE PRICES THE SAME even if it means a loss?

If capitalism was a GOOD system, like some people claim, if this was a GOOD world, this would definitely happen, they would sacrifice a little bit of PROFIT just to make people happier and to keep things normal and to let people have their stuff for the same price.

Also, I bet those coffee prices will never come back down, even if the shortages disappear and they get good crops again.

Remember CDs?

Their super high prices were explained by the manufacturing being so pricey - it was a new product and all.

Then the manufacturing price dropped to a tiny, minuscule, ridiculously small fraction of what it used to be. The effect on the prices? NOTHING.

The prices stayed the same - the PROFITS went up, though.

In capitalism, only CAPITAL matters, nothing else does - profit and money are the kings, people are peasants, if that. Life is valueless compared to CAPITAL in capitalism.

In communism, you have no rights, because you can't own anything, so you can't own your body, so you can't have rights.

Both systems suck, capitalism has just been more 'practical', because it parallels and resembles something called 'free market' which doesn't really exist much anymore, that COULD've been a good 'transitional system', but now we got stuck with this greed-based profit-crap where little people suffer while corporations and super rich get even super-richer all the time, and every government is corrupt to help this happen more and more.

Everything that happens, be it wars or manufactured governmental overreach.. I mean, 'pan-demics', makes the rich richer somehow. They ALWAYS profit from everything, and the little people always have to pay.

Coffee prices spiking so high proves that capitalism isn't a good system for the little people, it's a wonderful system for those that are wealthy, rich or politically powerful.

Almost forgot to mention: I did notice that sizes have shrunk. The frozen pizza I sometimes buy, used to be BIG, so I had trouble fitting it in my relatively large tennis bag. Now I can just toss it easily anywhere, no problems whatsoever. I finally found 'relatively cheap' coffee - but guess if it's the same size.. I mean, it LOOKS the same size at a glance, but the package is THINNER! Almost everything (maybe a slight exaggeration) I usually buy has shrunk somewhat, some things have shrunk a LOT.

The incredible shrinking packages and portions.. it's starting to seem like a sham; the price may remain the same, but the portion becomes smaller, what the heck is that?
edit on 16-4-2022 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I haven't seen a full grocery cart anywhere in over 2 years, regardless of how poor or rich someone appeared to me. IMO, the food inflation is hitting all of us in scarily similar affordability manners here.

I HAVE noticed that the local dried beans shortage I mentioned in previous threads has eased a lot suddenly, though. I was getting so used to seeing not much to pick from that I was a little taken aback to see a wider variety of bagged beans, lol.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Have you noticed that hardly anyone has a full cart at the grocery store anymore.

Round here, that's because people are shopping several times a week, they go to two different stores because the stores do different brands that they like or have different products on sale at different times.

I used to get a full cart, but I'd visit one store once a week.

A lot of people are also getting some of their groceries delivered online, and people are buying food out for lunch more often than they used to. People used to make their own lunches and bring them in every day, now they buy sandwiches and so on from a mini mart or at the station.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   
We have always been Kroger customers up north...until we moved to Florida. The nearest Kroger is almost an hour away from us here...but Mrs. TAT looks for deals online...and has items delivered.
For an annual fee of $80 per year...you can get free delivery from Kroger.

Then,,,if you purchase over $35 per order...delivery is free and they aren't allowed accept tips.

This morning, Kroger door-delivered 5 packages of my favorite coffee at $4 less per box from what the same package would cost here at Publix.

It's a great way to save.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:01 AM
link   
No, that’s not at all the case for me. I see more and more bulk buying if anything.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I want to thank you for the inspiration you gave me and others to start a community garden in our village.
I mentioned your thread to a few of the locals sitting around our local bar drinking, playing music [open mic nite] and the response was astonishing.
One guy donated 2 acres, another offered to let us use his tractor and implements, the owner of our local mercantile will supply the seeds free of charge and many of the locals will supply the labor of maintaining the garden. Bringing our community of Hispanics, Native Americans and Gringos even closer together, offsetting the high cost of fresh produce at the grocery store, and helping our elders and actually everyone....what a blessing. Thank You!!

Sitting on the tailgate of a pickup, drinking Beers or tequila with friends watching the sunset after a session in the garden...It truly is "The land of Enchantment"

edit on 16-4-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justaposter

That was a lovely thing to do. Thank you, I needed a good dose of good news.

Thanks, not really big deal for me, I'm sure it was to the young lady who was more embarrassed than anything else. When it comes to food and hungry people I don't mess around. My wife works 2 days a weeks packaging up ready to cook meals for elderly poor in our area where they deliver like enough food for 7 days 3 meals a day. Many are widows that do not have much.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skepticape
No, that’s not at all the case for me. I see more and more bulk buying if anything.

My wife is Asian so my kids are rice eaters by the shovel full. We keep 5 bags of 50 lbs of white rice always at our house. Rice can last 20 years if kept cool and dry, but we just cycle them when we buy a new bag it goes to the back of the stack. There is 375 cups of cook rice in a 50lbs bag, so doing the math that is 1875 cups of rice. If you had 3 cups a day per person a family of 4 would eat for over 150 days non-stop. If you were lets say for the long haul and just two of you and you wanted 5 years of rice at 3 cups per day you would need about 30 bags stored away at a cost of about 900 bucks.

edit on 16-4-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Your freezer contents just made me green. With envy.

I don't dare store too much perishable goods. Electricity supply is too unreliable in South Africa, and I don't have the ability/means to go off grid.
Generators are banned in my complex and solar is too expensive.

edit on 16/4/2022 by deltaalphanovember because: word correction

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember

I don't dare store too much perishable goods. Electricity supply is too unreliable in South Africa, and I don't have the ability/means to go off grid.

We brought a twin fuel cooler, electricity or propane gas.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember

We brought a twin fuel cooler, electricity or propane gas.

Just looked that up - never knew such a wondrous thing existed - and available to buy in South Africa. Now to convince my wife,

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join