It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Brand Loyal are you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Retail: Consumers will ‘trade down’ brands amid inflation, analyst says

So I'm at the point in my life I don't like to switch brands, I like what I like and I am not changing.
This is especially true when it comes to soaps, detergents and things like that. There are also certain things like
bbq sauce that I only like one kind, how am I going to trade down to something that I don't like?

I could see "trading down" things like yogurt or things that can be very similar in taste.
We all have seen packages shrinking and prices going up, but when I think about my shopping habits as far as items not much has changed.
I wonder if it is different based on age group. I could see young adults being more flexible in what they buy.

Has the economy changed how you shop, and the items you've shopped for?

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I only ever buy Rolls Royce cars.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I was very loyal to Gillette until they started that toxic masculinity campaign. There’s not a single one of their products in my house anymore.

edit on 6-4-2022 by ratcals because: Spelling mistakes

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
So I'm at the point in my life I don't like to switch brands, I like what I like and I am not changing.

Same.

Food, wine/liquor, clothing, cookware, home goods, etc. I am not switching, particularly since it would most likely result in having to purchase trash Chinese products in many cases.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ratcals
I was very loyal to Gillette until the started that toxic masculinity campaign. There’s not a ingle one of their products in my house anymore.

This is the bigger problem my household is having.

It’s not the price of things as much as the fact that it’s becoming almost impossible to avoid buying from companies that aren’t chock full of that racist work crap.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   

This is especially true when it comes to soaps, detergents and things like that.

I'm pretty much the same. I am brand loyal to certain products because for whatever reason, they are the best for my purposes -- whether it's taste, effectiveness, quality, etc. If I found a better product, I'd probably switch.

I have noticed that many products are reducing quantity to maintain the same pricing, which I guess is practical for some reasons and for some people, albeit probably not all.

As long as I can still afford it, and it still provides the quality I prefer, I'll stick with my faves. If that changes, then I guess I'll have to change!

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I live out in the sticks. It's 53 miles one-way to Looterville. When Looterville is flush with supply, we can see the runoff down this way. Lately, I've had to do without ... because I won't sacrifice quality. I don't really care what brand of toothpaste I'm using, whose eggs I'm buying, etc. Just don't try to sell me poor quality cuts of meat or beat-up looking produce.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I think most of us feel this way, but what happens when what we like becomes unavailable. Trading down brands may become a necessity instead of a choice.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I have noticed that many products are reducing quantity to maintain the same pricing, which I guess is practical for some reasons and for some people, albeit probably not all.

I noticed this with a cleaning product recently. It was so completely watered down.

ALSO... I am convinced that Amazon is selling seconds and counterfeits on a regular basis.
I bought a pair of jeans directly from Levi's for my husband. Then a week or so later, Amazon was selling the exact same thing that was from the Levi's store so I added it to my cart.

The Amazon jeans were lower quality. I don't think most people would notice, but since I've had some background in textiles I noticed right away. The fabric quality was slightly different, and the sewing was slightly off on the Amazon sold ones. The Levis direct ones were perfect. I should have returned it but my husband doesn't care about those kinds of things.

ALSO... I love Costco and Sams. Having had a big family it's come in handy. I've found some products that also seem like seconds or a lesser product. Quantity doesn't = quality, even by the same company.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   

For some products it's a good idea to do a little homework and see where they're made.

I did some agency work when I was between jobs and ended up at a place that made garlic bread.

The packing line did "runs" for various orders during the shift and we had a little break while they changed the wrapping for the plastic trays with different supermarkets own packaging.
They were the same product but with different branded packs so probably got priced differently in each store.

I know it's not the same for a lot of products but it wouldn't be sensible in this instance to buy the highest priced when the same thing is cheaper elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ratcals
I was very loyal to Gillette until the started that toxic masculinity campaign. There’s not a ingle one of their products in my house anymore.

Same here. Gillette sent me a razor on my 18th birthday and I used that things for years. I was loyal to them all up until they started their woke nonsense. After that I moved on over to Harry's razors. Those are actually some nice razors, but, then they decided to start their crap so now I honestly have no idea who to use now. I still have some leftover Harry's blades and I will finish using them since I paid for them but I need to look into other companies or just grow a Gandalf beard.

I have the same problem as eluryh22, it's not so much prices but it's getting harder and harder to find companies I'm ok supporting. Practically every company has gone full retard in one way or another and it's getting ridiculous. At least on the bright side my savings is going up. lol

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

To be honest, the brands that I buy aren't really in short supply, and aren't really going up in price.

Can't get hold of a new model Raspberry Pi for love nor money though, I probably won't buy a competing brand due to compatibility issues.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

it’s becoming almost impossible to avoid buying from them

All the biggest product brands in the world are owned by a handful of Megacorporations

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Certain products,sure I wouldn't change, but grocery items? I would and have. People in that business will tell you that the name brands,rerun and just box in store or another brand name. It would be costly to change the product to an inferior quality and then run the line again. It's just a matter of either finding out ahead of time or trial and error in finding the same quality item just packaged differently.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Same here…..you should my hot wheels collection……pure jags 🙈😂 a reply to: alldaylong

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   

With food, i have zero loyalty. I make most things from scratch, and can do the whole "mystery basket" thing, making great meals from odd things. I strike when the fire is hot with sales. I buy bulk. I create my own products where cost makes sense. For the price of a package of chicken breasts I can buy 2 whole chickens. All trimmings are frozen to make broths and sausages from.

Non food? My loyalty extends as far as convenience allows. Cleaning stuff we get with coupons. I have a couple years worth of soaps, shampoos, and paper goods. I also work in hospitality...we recently rebranded a property. So I got a few gallons of shampoo and body soap in the change over. I won't buy most bathroom and kitchen disposables for awhile.

I pay for quality. I spend more to not spend even more. No matter the value of the dollar, its just how i think. For inflation to drive me to "painful choices" would require a significant loss in life quality in the entire nation.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   

ALSO... I am convinced that Amazon is selling seconds and counterfeits on a regular basis.
I bought a pair of jeans directly from Levi's for my husband. Then a week or so later, Amazon was selling the exact same thing that was from the Levi's store so I added it to my cart.

The Amazon jeans were lower quality. I don't think most people would notice, but since I've had some background in textiles I noticed right away. The fabric quality was slightly different, and the sewing was slightly off on the Amazon sold ones. The Levis direct ones were perfect. I should have returned it but my husband doesn't care about those kinds of things.

I think you're right about that. My daughter-in-law had the same experience with the Amazon Levis. She wanted to treat herself, but the jeans she received were just not quality jeans. In her case, after washing, the side seam had migrated to the front/rear of the leg. She wondered if I could fix it, but that's just not fixable, because the fabric was not cut properly to begin with (on the selvage -- you'll know what I mean!). Sometimes a "bargain" is just a waste of money.

And yes -- Costco is the best! I'm definitely "brand loyal" to their Himalayan salt grinders.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

We are fairly brand loyal.
And I only have to shop for two.

If I thought the different brand would work, I would try it. Say, store brand green olives.
But things like potato chips, I would probably quit rather than change brands. It's LAYS of nothing in our house.

Toilet paper and paper towel....no changing for us, we've tried the competition over the years:

A few things like coffee: I try for the better brands and get what is on sale.
Store brand coffee is NO!!!!!

ETA
And BFFT makes an excellent point: sometimes cheaper isn't better. Quality often trumps quantity in our home.
edit on Wed Apr 6 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

But things like potato chips, I would probably quit rather than change brands. It's LAYS of nothing in our house.

Toilet paper and paper towel....no changing for us, we've tried the competition over the years:

A few things like coffee: I try for the better brands and get what is on sale.
Store brand coffee is NO!!!!!

I'm not a big chip person but when we do have them I only like Lays lightly salted. It was one of the things that went missing during Covid too, but it's back now with even more air in the package! lol

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I am not loyal to brands. But mostly due to my autism I have to have consistency in my diet when it comes to food. So I will only buy particular brands of food because it is what I am used to. This is more of a loyalty to a recipe and ingredients than a brand, and it causes me immense anxiety when they change ingredients or recipes in food. This is the same for cosmetics and toiletries too.

When it comes to other things, I am more likely to avoid a brand in general than stick to one. I have no brand loyalty for most things. I will buy whatever suits my needs. I actively boycott some brands, even with food and the above.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join