It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Has anyone heard from Turkey? They have been working closely with Ukraine and were looking at a full fledged military alliance.

Also contrary to the lies Putin is repeating once again, at NO point did NATO make an agreement not to expand. Putin is trying to say NATO made this "commitment" when Germany was reunited. What NATO did agree to was not to deploy NATO troops in E. Germany, and NATO fulfilled that promise.

Even former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev has called out Putin on this topic. Gorbachev stated the only agreement from NATO was they would not deploy NATO assets in E. Germany, and he acknowledged NATO lived up to that promise. No other agreements were made regarding the expansion of NATO east.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Putin is crazy to think an agreement such as that NOT in writing would stick even if they made it, which I don’t believe they did. Who in international security arrangements would rely on a word-of-mouth agreement is in fantasy land.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Has anyone heard from Turkey? They have been working closely with Ukraine and were looking at a full fledged military alliance.

Turkiye on Tuesday rejected Russia's decision to recognize Ukraine's breakaway regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, calling it “unacceptable.”

"The decision of the Russian Federation to recognize the so-called Donetsk and Luhansk Republics, in addition to contradicting the Minsk Agreements, constitutes a clear violation of Ukraine's political unity and territorial integrity," the Turkish Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

"The Russian Federation’s decision is unacceptable and we reject it," it added.

"We reiterate once again our commitment to the preservation of Ukraine’s political unity and territorial integrity and invite all concerned parties to act with common sense and to abide by international law," it said.

Source: Turkiye ‘rejects’ Russia's decision to recognize Ukraine's breakaway regions

They condemn Russia's actions and honor Ukrainian sovereignty but I'm willing to be that's as far as it will go. Maybe some sanctions. If Russia decides to encroach outside of Donetsk and Luhansk, I have a feeling they will be on their own.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: majesticgent

originally posted by: putnam6
FWIW Marine commercial traffic seems heavy, considering reports the Russian Navy is everywhere

Please, do keep us posted on this

Its not difficult, here's the link, its pretty crowded if you ask me.

www.marinetraffic.com...:36.5/centery:45.9/zoom:6

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

The whole of the West is having riots and stoppages, their leaders are held in ridicule at best. Your life will be ruined if you don't take an experimental vaccine. Supply chain issues are getting worse. All because of poor political decisions. I don't think the West will be fighting any wars for the foreseeable future. They simply do not have a functional government.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It seems Putin may have the power ego (I want an empire disease) a Hitlerian ailment.

I actually supported Putin in his Syrian intervention, since clearly USA/NATO/Gulf States/Israel/Turkey was trying to destroy Syria, by precipitating a genocide by nutty Jihadists on Syrian moderate Muslims, for their own geopolitical dastard desires. Goes to show us these leaders of these countries don’t give a dam about human beings.

So, Putin now is sacrificing the innocent civilians in Ukraine and Russia for his nutty geopolitical aspirations of deluded grandeur. Sure, he has a legit beef on NATO but Ukraine doesn't deserve this! It's NOT their fault.
All those young fine Ukrainians and Russians will have their bodies torn apart in this evil unnecessary war--don’t deserve that.

Please, folks, go read about WWI and WWII and the utter slaughter of our young people before we so cavalierly speak about these f___ed up wars these old f___ed up men start, for some egomaniacal reasons.

edit on 21-2-2022 by peaceinoutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: peaceinoutz
Sure, he has a legit beef on NATO

No, really, he does not.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Russia has acquired the right to build military bases in Ukraine's two breakaway regions under treaties signed by President Vladimir Putin with their separatist leaders.

Putin on Monday officially recognised the two breakaway regions - the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic and the Lugansk People's Republic - as independent statelets, defying Western warnings that such a step would be illegal and kill peace negotiations.

Source: Russia now has right to build military bases in eastern Ukraine - treaties

Interesting development. Not too much to say about this other than it appears as if Ukraine has officially lost those regions regardless of what NATO, the UN, and the West thinks.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is a video showing some troops at night shooting and vehicles on fire. No telling when it was released, the location, or if it's legit, and at the end, someone with a bandana covering their face on the ground screaming being captured I guess? It's not graphic but may be too much for some viewers.

DPR Forces released a video of fighting with Ukrainian special forces in Donetsk.
#Donbass #Donetsk #Warzone
#Russia #Ukraine #Putin #war #Ukraina #UkraineRussiaCrisis
#Україна #Росія #Донбас

Source: twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: majesticgent
"Russia has acquired the right"

"has acquired" ... um

If might makes right, guess so, until/if other might makes other rights

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBoomersRBusted
a reply to: majesticgent
"Russia has acquired the right"

"has acquired" ... um

If might makes right, guess so, until/if other might makes other rights

That remains to be seen, but I don't think anything will happen, other than sanctions, in regards to this show of might.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

The USA has treated Putin like a nobody (or worse) over the past 10 years, and now is upset that he's being "unreasonable"?

Our leaders are not in touch with how HUMAN NATURE works.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The Ukrainian military on Tuesday said two soldiers have been killed and 12 wounded in shelling by pro-Russian separatists in east Ukraine in the past 24 hours, the most casualties this year, as ceasefire violations increase.

The military said on its Facebook page it had recorded 84 cases of shelling by separatists who it said had opened fire on about 40 settlements along the front line using heavy artillery.

Ukraine has accused Russia of provoking the violence, saying Moscow used it as a pretext to formally recognize eastern Ukraine as independent and move its troops into the region, precipitating a crisis that the West fears could unleash a major war.

Source: Ukraine reports two soldiers killed, 12 wounded in separatist shelling

There is an alleged video of the incident where the two soldiers were killed by anti-tank missiles. It shows two trucks being targeted by the missiles and then exploding. One soldier appears wounded and takes cover behind another truck, which also explodes after being hit by the missile. I did not post that here because it didn't appear credible, and it was graphic.
edit on 22-2-2022 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The MOEX, Moscow Exchange, indices are trading down 7% and the Ruble is down 20% as of this posting.

source: Moscow Exchange indices

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   
So the question im hearing a lot is are Russian Troops going to stop at the line of contact or are they going to engage Ukrainian forces to try and push them out of Luhansk / Donetsk. After watching the UN security council meeting that Ukraine called (Russia is actually the Security council President this month) I dont see Ukraine pulling its forces back.

I think if Russia start sustaining losses I see Russian continuing the invasion beyond the 2 provinces they are trying to steal.

The only other country to speak was Germany. They are surprising me with all of this and going by comments the new chancellor made the pipeline between Germany and Russia is at risk.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Could be that some power people in Germany are tired of their country looking like they're being played for fools by the Russian government.

Merkel's decisions put Germany in a bad situation in terms of electricity generation and natural gas supplies. Those chickens have come home to roost at the same time the economy is hurting because of the endless COVID lockdowns.

Lot of pressure on Scholz at the moment, both internally and externally.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:58 AM
link   

A summit between US President Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin is unlikely, a senior administration official told reporters Monday, following intelligence and indications on the ground that Russia is likely to take military action in neighboring Ukraine.

On Sunday, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said Biden agreed "in principle" to a meeting with Putin sometime after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov meet on Thursday — as long as Russia does not further invade Ukraine.

But the official said that while the Biden administration was open to further engagements between the two leaders, “if we thought it made sense and could have a beneficial impact on the crisis,” intelligence reports indicating further Russian military action would preclude any leader-to-leader summit.

“Our strong sense, based on everything that we are seeing on the ground in the areas around the Ukraine to the north, to the east, to the south, is that Russia is continuing to prepare for military action that could take place in the coming hours or days,” the official told reporters, adding the administration “certainly can't commit to a meeting that has as a predicate that Russia won't take military action, when it looks as eminently like they will.”

Source: US official says Biden-Putin summit is unlikely

No surprise here... I think both sides appeared to do so either to bide time or save face. I didn't think this meeting was going to happen regardless of what Russia did. I think Putin has said what he already has to say, and at this point, the decision has been made to recognize the two regions.

2-22-2022 (Global SHTF Day)

JOE BIDEN made a video designed to demonstrate the POWER he has over Russia President Vladimir Putin.

Powerful!: twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 04:45 AM
link   

The MOEX, Moscow Exchange, indices are trading down 7% and the Ruble is down 20% as of this posting.

source: Moscow Exchange indices

russia has the economy of texas.

they can't afford to even supply uniforms or food for the troops.

they can't afford a prolonged incursion or war.

if the morons in the wh didn't stop our energy plans putin probably would never have started any #.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Agree. While Russia is an economic middle-weight (GDP smaller than countries like Italy, Canada or South Korea), they do have rather a lot of military. It is likely that they would defeat Ukraine through weight of numbers, and they know it - just like any old bully. NATO won't support Ukraine beyond intel and some modern kit.

I feel sorry for any country with a Russian border. Sadly, the West have run a policy of Russian appeasement right from the start. But, it's no wonder that all Russia's western neighbours want nothing to do with them.
edit on 22/2/2022 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

and you seem to be absolutely delusional of who Putin really is. Yes, he's worse than nobody.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join