It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Canadian bacon so freaking tasteless

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 03:23 AM
link   
See we don't call it "Canadian bacon"...

Canadian Bacon is an "American" term

We call it ham...which is NOT Bacon...LOL

Dat crap... Ain't bacon.... and don't be blamin us for it either!

edit on 4-7-2021 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Wow.

I knew there was a bacon vodka but a soda?

And I recall a Thanksgiving soda, had hints of turkey, gravy, stuffing, and I think cranberry sauce.

Ughh.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
See we don't call it "Canadian bacon"...

Canadian Bacon is an "American" term

We call it ham...which is NOT Bacon...LOL

Yup, I remember now, Avril Lavigne on Ryan Seacrest's afternoon tv show in the early 2000s. She explained it, I think. Also discussed pouttine.

She said the F word on live tv, I do remember that.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Are you trying to start a war?

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I make my own 'Canadian Bacon', and I'll bet you wouldn't say it was bland. However, as others have said, 'Canadian Bacon' is generally made from a very lean piece of pork loin, whereas traditional "Bacon" is generally made from the very fatty belly of the pig. Both products are cured in similar ways and then smoked. Notice I didn't use the word "cooked" in here yet, and there's a reason.

I would venture that you've never even had "real" Canadian Bacon, but rather cooked ham which was just labeled as 'Canadian Bacon'. In fact, most people have never seen nor eaten true Canadian Bacon.

You see, real Canadian Bacon, like traditional Bacon, isn't cooked until it is served whereupon it is sliced from the cured loin, sprinkled with pea-meal, and fried similarly to traditional Bacon (without the pea-meal of course). The 'Canadian Bacon' you find in most stores is really nothing more than boiled ham. The cooking times for the two products is different because of the higher fat to muscle ratio in traditional Bacon vs. Canadian Bacon.

The curing and smoking process keeps the meat from spoiling before cooking. It also imparts a very distinct cured and smoky flavor to the meat.

So what does all this mean? First of all, it means there is NO part of a pig which is the "Bacon" part. There's no muscle called the "Bacon muscle". Equally, there is no part of a pig which is designated the "Canadian Bacon" muscle either. Both products are made from cuts of meat off of a pig. AND, there is no absolute golden rule of what muscle cut gets used for either product. In fact, there are numerous cuts of traditional bacon, not all from the belly. English Bacon is a good example. It is cut from further up on the side of the animal, true "Side Bacon" as opposed to "Bacon" bacon.

That is all.

Now, please pull out a pencil and a tablet because there is going to be a short quiz on the origins of "Bacon" and the anatomy of pigs!

edit on 7/4/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I see the moral here is... never diss bacon! lol

i dont much like it personally, but then i love pineapple on pizza and beetroot on burgers.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

You're buying #ty bacon.

Agreed .
Buy good ole US of A style

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I can't speak for Canadian bacon and do not even know if I have tasted any but given that most food consumed these days is from supermarkets it is more than possible some of that meat may have originated in such nations.

That said.

Breed of Pig, What it is fed and what quality of life it has as well as the climate of the region were it is farmed all play into the flavour.

As do how the meat is processed, cured or otherwise prepared.

Never tried this but it looks tasty.

Now another word of caution, every region, every nation and every farmer will claim his is the best bacon in the world and every person has different taste bud's.

I would argue this girls opening line, some beef Jerky is even tastier but that is a matter of taste of course.

Personally being from England I loved old fashioned Danish Smoked Back Bacon but after some sort of scandal Danepack once the most popular bacon (more popular than our own and from Denmark whom for a long time arguably did make the best bacon in the world).

I would Grill mine but many like there's more succulent while I liked to drain some of the fact and get the rind nice and crunchy crispy (but not burned).

I would then serve mine on golden toasted cold buttered (hate melted butter it is nicest melting in your mouth) white bread with the crusts cut off and the hot bacon and a lot of if with some tomato and lettuce layered between two slices of that cold buttered toast accompanied by a hot drink, tea or coffee (I am a tea drinker so?).

More of a snack than a meal but then I no longer have a waist line so take that claim with an equal note of caution.

Here is one did you know Bacon can be RACIST?.
www.express.co.uk...
edit on 4-7-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Because it isn't bacon. If someone offers it to you as ham, you'll eat it without complaining because it doesn't taste bad.

The problem is we know how bacon tastes and looks, so you expect that when you eat it.

I wouldn't put it on my burgers but could use it for ham and cheese grilled sandwiches.

Just don't call it bacon. It's not. No. NO. DON'T. EVER.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Probably lost your taste buds from eating all those garbage pizzas.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Speaking of the use of pork products pizza products. Pizza doesn't give a damn, it will have Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, and bacon.

The worst thing is I've thought about bacon for over an hour this morning, pretty sure we have none for breakfast.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Lmao.

You're delusional.

Did someone tell you that?

You know what we call Bacon here?

Wait for it......Bacon...

You know what we call Canadian Bacon?

Wait for it...Canadian Bacon....otherwise known as Ham or Peameal Ham, etc...

Freaky, right?

ETA: I'm having a healthy breakfast of Canadian Bacon,and Poutine, smothered in St. Joseph Island Maple Syrup...chased back with a Labatts....mmmmmm

I grow all my own Poutine in my igloo farm.
edit on 7/4/2021 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   
They make up for it with poutine.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   
We just bought six more packages Friday of always save bacon from Econo on Friday when we went to town to get a couple of White fish from the fish house. It is decent bacon....on sale for two twelve ounce packages for three dollars.
we had bought six last Sunday and the blind cat loved it, he eats about a pound of fried bacon a week. Keeps his attitude up. He can't see the name on the package.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

We could add chemicals to make it more chemically delicious to your taste. Not sure where your bacon really comes from but mine tastes fine, I'm about to cook up two pounds of it in the oven right now actually.

Good advice is to sprinkle cracked pepper over your bacon before you cook it.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Well, duh.......its CAnadian; the whole country is tasteless

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Maybe because it's always frozen never fresh 🤫😮

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Speaking of the use of pork products pizza products. Pizza doesn't give a damn, it will have Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, and bacon.

The worst thing is I've thought about bacon for over an hour this morning, pretty sure we have none for breakfast.

I've been thinking about it all damn day myself now. The tragedy is we HAD 20 lbs of it in the deep freezer, and it should have lasted quite a while. We got about 10 BLT dinners & a couple bacon-wrapped grilled chicken breasts out of it over almost 3 months....It....well, it lasted a while, for us anyway, and it went to a good cause.

Our stomachs.

But now I'm salty that it's all gone. Damn it.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

SnF.

Why not?

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun
Yes ... made with real bacon, not that Canadian knock-off stuff.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join